Controlled Hunt Draw

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
In another week it will be August and we can apply. 4 of us have hunted 92b for 27 years now and have always been successful for the early Nov hunt.
The success rate is now in the 95% range and am worried that possibly we won't all get drawn so I want to apply as a group. Can anyone explain the advantages
or disadvantages of applying as a group? If the group isn't drawn then we are all out.
Thanks in advance.

In another week it will be August and we can apply. 4 of us have hunted 92b for 27 years now and have always been successful for the early Nov hunt.
The success rate is now in the 95% range and am worried that possibly we won't all get drawn so I want to apply as a group. Can anyone explain the advantages
or disadvantages of applying as a group? If the group isn't drawn then we are all out.
Thanks in advance.
I don't see any advantage in applying as a group, unless the only way your gang will hunt is if everyone is drawn,
If the group isn't drawn no one is hunting, if your that worried put in your second choice or 3rd in the area to,
It is absolutely crazy that zone is not all 100 percent, amount of deer in that zone is nuts, like hunting a deer farm from my experiences.

I just looked up the success rate for 92b from last season and it is 100%. The previous year was 94%. So hopefully ok this year.
92B1900100%
92B2700100%
92B3650100%

My gang has hunted the November season in 92B for a long time now and we usually do ok , like last year... we filled 4 out of 5 tags. That's a typical year , a bad year is 50 percent and some years we tag out by Day Two of the hunt ! I don't know how the MNR can say 100 percent success rate last year when we did not fill all our tags and I know of other gangs that did not tag out as well ? Was that success rate in reference to the actual draw to hunt ?

We apply as a group. Once we applied separately and two guys didn't get drawn .

Last edited:
Okee dokee ! Yes I totally understand what they print in the Summary but in your OP it sounded like you didn't ? After more than 20 years of doing the deer hunt down here we have always applied as groups and it works for us. It ain't broke , so why fix it ? LoL !

I believe the advantage of applying as a group is if your group leader gets chosen for first pick the others are automatically chosen as well.

Agreed, sadly though if group isn’t selected then all are out.

When hunting controlled hunt in large groups we always put in group applications. It worked out well for us. My oldest son and I now put in separately for the December hunt figuring that if one doesn’t draw the other will, and we hunt 10 minutes from the house late season so at least one of us will have a last crack with Smokepole. I can’t say one way is better than the other but we never had a group that didn’t draw.

I made an error in my post and will blame it on this head cold that I have. I hunt in 90B not 92B but otherwise the rest of my comment regarding the Draw still applies. Some time in August I will go to a Service Ontario and submit our names as usual and wait for October 10th(?) for the results. As a back up plan there is always duck hunting down at Long Point and because everyone else is deer hunting the choice of good blinds increases.

And no it's not Covid or at least that's what the test says, keep getting Negative results.

Group application can be good if you want to keep the group together. You can put in a second choice and then if the group doesn't get their first choice, you can usually hunt together at the second choice alternative (whether that is a different week or a different WMU). Some times folks have to book vacation in advance and aren't flexible on the week, or there is only land permission for one WMU so each group might have a different perspective on whether group or individual applications are appropriate.

My group has always applied separately. If one person doesn't get drawn they can always hunt the bush by themselves on their second choice week.

I've spoken to several MNRF personnel from CO's to customer service reps, as well as several members on the Big Game Committee, each said the same thing regarding a group application to Controlled Deer hunting draw: if anyone in the group is drawn for a tag then everyone in the group is allocated a tag, only 1 of the group has to get a tag and everyone in that group will. The only way a group doesn't draw a tag is if everyone strikes out. If you apply as individuals then there is a chance that say only 2 of the 4 applicants are successful.

Reactions: GPS
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks