Off Topic Burn out

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well I am getting burnt out up at the hospital every day with mom for the last 3 months. I need to go get my boat out of storage and bring it home to get it ready and go fish for something somewhere.

Im waiting for my friend to get back with the # and name of the community placement coordinator that she used to help place her mother in law. Ill text you when I get it...

I'm living it as well. My Mom fell and fracked three vertebrae in her neck. A week in the hospital and in home care. We've had to revamp the house to allow her to live on one floor. PSWs are just "OK" and we need to do a lot for her with DR. appts, prescriptions, banking, house cleaning, meals etc. Really killing me to see all those spring brown reports coming in from Lake O. I need to get the boat on the water. I guess the good news is she will recover but what a road its been.

I'm living it as well. My Mom fell and fracked three vertebrae in her neck. A week in the hospital and in home care. We've had to revamp the house to allow her to live on one floor. PSWs are just "OK" and we need to do a lot for her with DR. appts, prescriptions, banking, house cleaning, meals etc. Really killing me to see all those spring brown reports coming in from Lake O. I need to get the boat on the water. I guess the good news is she will recover but what a road its been.

Having been the person on the short end of the stick these past few years I can say this....remind yourself, it can always be worse. Be thankful you and yours are lucky it is not worse.

Tomorrow when they are gone you'd be glad to give up part of a season or a full season to have them back again.

I was in this position for 4 long yrs. Put work n life on back burner to take care of mom.
It's over now and plenty of time to catch up on what I missed. I also have a better work /life balance and appreciate everything more.
I learned one thing, I have more pics n video of my dog than family. Lol. Take more pics/video of family and save some memories.

I went through it 5 years ago, I know what you are going through and yes VERY hard on the system. Thinking of you often.

Several years ago while I was in hospital for an extended period, my parents were initially coming to see me daily. At one point the doctors told them that I was where I needed to be and explained to them that while understanding their desire to be there to support me while I recovered and that having a loved one in hospital can be/is very traumatizing on the family members of the person hospitalized, that they (the family members) also needed to take care of themselves, both physically and mentally as well.

So, they stopped coming to see me every day, and came two or three times per week instead. It was better for them, and as it turned out, it was better for me as well on my road to recovery.

When my grandmother (my dad's mom) fell and broke her hip, she was hospitalized for an extended period until they could get her into a home. That took a while, but eventually they did get her into one. As happened when I was hospitalized, my parents were going to see her every day. Then, remembering the advice the doctors gave them when I was hospitalized and they began to feel burnt out, instead of both going every day, my mom would go one day, my dad the next and on weekends they'd both go and that's what they did for a couple of years until my 94 yr old grandmother, God rest her soul, passed away on Christmas Day 2015.

My wife's grandmother, God rest her soul, was eventually placed in a home as well in her late 90's. My MIL initially was going to see her every day. The doctors and staff at the home she was in told my MIL essentially the same thing my parents had been told, take care of yourself as well. So, instead of going to see her every day as she had been, she began to go every two or three days, but would call her every day and speak with her on the phone. She was 99 when she passed last year about a month before her 100th birthday. She initially wasn't all that happy she was going into the home, but once she got there and adapted, she was very happy.

Go get your boat @scrimmy. She'll understand.

Last edited:
@scrimmy: If mom is getting along well with staff cut back to just every other day. The others get that boat ready, will be better for the both of you. Happy fishing…..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks