Big Planer boards and/or offshore boards

BallEye2

Seeking some information on planer board use, please and thanks.

When using planer boards - either big boards on a mast or the inline/offshore mini boards - best line to use? Does or will braid work on the releases or will I have a hard time getting it to knock off when I get a hit? If so, what should I use?

Also - if wanting to use leadcore on boards I need to have segmented line......correct?

Have used the inline boards only a few times and haven't used the big planer boards yet......but looking to and would like to minimize the errors.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Balleye.

Braid works perfectly fine on the releases. Mono does work better but that being said I have braid on all my reels as backer as it takes up less space on the reel then mono. The only thing is if you notice some cuts from the braid digging into the clip you will need to replace that clip as the braid will keep getting caught in it and not releasing. And yes you need braid (or mono) to hook to the clips rather than leadcore so you can either segment or most guys will rig there reels for what they use most then just have the rest backing. So some guys will have 10 colours that are segmented part way to allow them to have less out if needed. Where other guys may have strictly rods for 5 colour, 7, 10, etc.

@BallEye2 I just put a mast and big boards on today.

I used unsegmented lead core because that's what I have, and rubber bands from the line to the release.
It worked out really well, either the band pulls out of the clip or it stretches way back showing "fish on".

The big boards put most of the fish in the boat. While the dispsys worked, they definitely took second place.

I'm no expert by any means but I've been told to use rubber bands on everything but mono.

Certainly worked for me today.

Good luck, the journey has been fun for me.

Attachments

• end.jpg
    end.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I use 50 pound pp, on all my poles with or without lead, can yank on then as hard as you like and it not going to break nor deteriorate over time.
Using pilgrim clips(pinch pad release) and hitching an elastic band on the braid running big boards, depth of band in the release would be determined by wave size.
As others have stated, band pulls maybe 4 inches so when anything else could be one there its very noticeable.
I do have designated core lengths so if I decide to run big boards , chute is open and cores set out to the sides retrieving fish one in at a time , and it will get crazy, even in Port Stanley.

I also run offshore boards, but would use them with downriggers and dipseys with a but more work pulling the board off when it comes in an such compared to just reeling a rubber band onto the spool.

They all help to get the bait away to catch fish, but if looking for a production mode, multi core lines out on the big boards has always been a winner for me.

@BallEye2 I just put a mast and big boards on today.

View attachment 15811

I used unsegmented lead core because that's what I have, and rubber bands from the line to the release.
It worked out really well, either the band pulls out of the clip or it stretches way back showing "fish on".

The big boards put most of the fish in the boat. While the dispsys worked, they definitely took second place.

I'm no expert by any means but I've been told to use rubber bands on everything but mono.

Certainly worked for me today.

View attachment 15813

Good luck, the journey has been fun for me.
Nice to see you r bleeding your fish. Makes for nice easy cleaning?

Nice to see you r bleeding your fish. Makes for nice easy cleaning?

Yupper, a two stage process.

Slit 'em, into the livewell running on manual until the water runs clean, then onto the ice in the cooler.

Like you say, easy cleaning and the flesh is nice and firm when we (the gang) get home, not soft or mushy in any way.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks