Off Topic Bait Bucket Recommendations?

Speedy Turtle

Looking for something to help keep my minnows alive when fishing. Will be using a pedal kayak to get out on the water. Any recommendations on setups for this? Any specific bucket/aerator combo that works well? Last year tried a regular bucket with water, but they died right away from the heat. Frabill with built in aerator good?

Speedy Turtle- Go for the Frabill with built-in aerator. They are on sale till Sunday at all Sail Stores. There is 15% OFF right now on most fishing gear and accessories.

Sitting on the pier (which I hope to be doing by the end of next month or early in May) I use a 5 gallon pail, 3/4 full of lake water, and a Rapala aerator and I make sure that I change the aerator stone at the beginning of each season. I tried a frabill aerator for a season and wasn't happy with it. Using Energizer or Duracell batteries didn't make a difference, it ate them like candy and the cheap dollar store batteries were even worse.

I catch my own bait and regardless of what time of the season it is, on the suggestion of a bait dealer I used to go to, I always put a bottle of frozen water (usually a 2L pop bottle) into the water. IF I'm not planning on a longer day, I'll use my smaller bait bucket with the aerator but still put a smaller frozen bottle of water into it as it does help keep them alive considerably longer.

The other thing to remember is, regardless of how big or small the bait bucket you use is, the more bait you put into it, the more likely they'll start to die on you if you don't have a decent aerator. They'll suffocate.

Also keep in mind that you're legally only allowed 120 whether store bought, self caught, dead or alive and this also includes any you may have with you that you've salted and/or frozen.

What about a floating bait bucket once you get to your spot, put in the water.
I'm not a Kayak guy so I don't know if that helps

I personal use a small cooler, one that holds approx 6-8 beers with a flip lid. Drill a small hole in the lid to run the aerator tube through and hang the pump on the outside. Works very well and will keep your minnows alive longer than those bait buckets.
This one is 8wx14Lx9d depth and when the lid is closed there is no water being spilled over
image.jpg

Good tips,
The frabill fish-n-fun bucket works good in a kayak crate with a bass pro shop aerator for me. I put a small ice pack or two in the bottom of the minnow bucket.
from wikihow: Pour a small amount of hydrogen peroxide into the cooler if you do not have an aerator. You only want to add one ounce of three percent hydrogen peroxide solution for every three gallons of water. The hydrogen peroxide assists in the formation of oxygen in the water, replacing oxygen that is used up by the fish.[11]
  • You can also add more distilled water as necessary to refresh the minnows' water.

I got one of these Amazon USB aerators in my boat. I have 2 USB power ports. The aerator is very quiet.
5 gal white bucket c/w lid and a couple or 3 fist sized rocks. The rocks give a place for the minnow to hide out of the current created by the air stream. Without the rocks the minnows die real fast. The minnows get rather lively and need a lid to keep them contained. This past summer, 6doz minnows lasted into day 5 on a northern Ontario boat camping trip, aerator running 24hrs a day, changing out 40-60% of the water daily.
It wasn't this video, but I'm following the same ideas.

I personal use a small cooler, one that holds approx 6-8 beers with a flip lid. Drill a small hole in the lid to run the aerator tube through and hang the pump on the outside. Works very well and will keep your minnows alive longer than those bait buckets.
This one is 8wx14Lx9d depth and when the lid is closed there is no water being spilled over
View attachment 85181
Great idea, I did the same except I drilled the hole on the side near the top. I plug it in at the trailer as well. Ice packs / bottles help.
What's that saying....great minds think alike & fools seldom differ 😎. Soon be time to get it out.
cheers
mike

Why can't you just drag a bait bucket in the water along side the kayak and when you need another minnow or leech just pull up the bucket and away you go?

Why can't you just drag a bait bucket in the water along side the kayak and when you need another minnow or leech just pull up the bucket and away you go?
That’s what I said, I’m not a Kayak guy but I’m thinking you don’t have a lot of room taking bigger stuff onboard and batteries only last so long.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks