big boards or in line ??

saltybigstick

Hi guys new here and new to draging lures for eyes
Was all worm harness and rip jigging where I fished before
I have a 18 foot princecraft with smartcraft can troll down to 1.3 mph on gps
Also have down riggers
But the question is should I run big boards with 3 lines per side with dipsie or tadpoles or in line boards
Any help be appreciated
Thanks kevin

I have same size boat and just sold my big boards. Too bulky for me. Going to inlines. Hopefully the TX44 if I can find them in a store. I am told they can easily handle lead core.

I run 8 inlines on a 1860 Ranger,on my buddies bigger boat we run 12 inlines.Easy storage and no release clips to purchase.This is a never ending conversation.Whatever works for YOU is the best choice and whatever is in the budget.

Inline and lead core is the way to go. Riggers still catch some but my lead core out fishes the riggers 3 to 1. The Inline boards are great for running deep divers I find

Thanks so looking like
6 new rods
6 new reels big enough to hold lead
6 inline boards
5 color lead for each
Looking like walleye worth $100 a pound this year lol

Thanks so looking like
6 new rods
6 new reels big enough to hold lead
6 inline boards
5 color lead for each
Looking like walleye worth $100 a pound this year lol

Lots of guys are running 7, 8 & even 10 colours of lead for summer walleye but not very often 5 except for very early in the year. You can fit this on a size 45 reel with braid backing but they'll be pretty full. Guys will suggest that you segment the lead core to allow you to run different amounts but this really doesn't work well with in line boards. Unless you have all the line out you will have lead line between the board and the rod which drags in the water and screws up your system.

Honestly, I would forget the 5 colours and do (2) 7s, (2) 8's, and run (2) dipsey rods inside nearer to the boat or something. I seem to get fish on 7's & 8's all summer even when the 10's seem to be in style late in the year. The dipseys allow you to do just about anything you like and it's one less set of boards.

PS Don't ever try and justify the actual cost of the fish you bring home. If our wives find out, we'll all be in trouble.

Yes, never work out the cost of a pound when there are wives near by or tell them any related costs of the equipment, otherwise they will sell it for that amount when you are no longer on the green side of the grass. I have a lot of luck running lead right out the back so that will cut the cost down a little with one less board (just watch your depths with what is where in case a Rainbow jumps on), as G.Mech suggests, run a dipsey or two as well, some days I catch more on the dipsey, some days it's the lead, some days the rigger(s) work as well. If you have the luxury of having two other guys in the boat every time it is great but if that is a once in a while occasion you could ease in slowly on the purchase side of things and start with 2 or 3 board/rod combos and utilize the riggers you have as well or Dipseys when you have more in the boat. The important part is to enjoy yourself out there with friends and family and put a good feed on the table here and there.

I totally agree with G Mech on the lead core lengths.. I have always run big boards , its a little more set up but it has its advantages, especially in rough water. I just started segmenting my line last year and it helps a lot. Its easier for the Newbs on the boat to keep track of "line out" also keeps the line up out of the lake. We us clips and rubber bands to secure the line, the bands really help out on the light bit. I have talked to several guy that started with in lines and they are now running BIG boards . The in lines are definately the cheaper way to go.

I use 3 oz snap weights as well on the inline boards all the time and they produce. Not to cause a fight but you see a lot more used big board systems for sale than the inline boards eg 50 to 1. And I never see the 1. As I'm trying to buy few more inlines used for buddies and you just never see them. Both systems work at the end of the day, to each their own

Smaller boats smaller boards
Large boats that can run ten, twelve rods have the extra room for big boards
I've ran small boards for salmon on lake O
Muskie baits pull too hard for small boards
Like everything fishing it's up to the fisherman on preference

Thanks guys
As for$ per lb I was joking
It gets me out of the house on weekends
I am building my own rod trees how far apart do u guys think I was going on 22.5 degree about 18 inch apart
I am going to join the trees like a radar arch and atach a bimini top deal to it for a sun shade any ideas

I run big boards 32" long and I made them to fold up for easy storage on either the 26' Maxum or 1800 ProV Lund. They pull hard and track straight even in rough water.

The ones below are 28" long and worked ok, but decided to make another set 32" long and angled the leading edge back. It sure made a big difference.

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

Been fishing walleye for ten years all over the lake including Ohio and Michigan we run small boards at slow speeds and big boards at fast speeds would not even consider small boards in summer waist to much time reeling in lines to land fish guys that say they run small boards all summer in rough water are not having fun doing it don't waist money on $45 a board go with the big one and I would not use anything but Amish boards hands down the best

Thanks everyone
I going to go with big boards mast in front seat post hole 6 or 7 feet high
I like the folding idea they will stow beside my engine just a couple little brackets to hold them

I run 8 inlines on a 1860 Ranger,on my buddies bigger boat we run 12 inlines.Easy storage and no release clips to purchase.This is a never ending conversation.Whatever works for YOU is the best choice and whatever is in the budget.

I have ran 6 plenty... Would love to see 12 ran... Cool stuff...

I run all inlines... From mini's to 44's... Simple and easy...

Boated 636 walleye last season,372 walleye were caught on inlines and harnesses.The rest were caught jigging in the river.Hope this helps to add to your confusion.:unsure::unsure::unsure:See you on the water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks