Fall Fun @ 2018 Pike Classic

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
First the best part was meeting other members face to face such as @stomp, @Three Bouys, @spilliard1, @Dotcom and others, it was truly a pleasure. Myself and @Red Hering had a blast even though our #8 team "Red Wave" turned out to be just a ripple. :cry::D Congrats to @stomp and @Three Bouys for their well deserved back to back first place finish. (y) Hat's off to Old Cut Boat Livery & Old Cut Marina and all others who helped put together this well organized event in which was my first time ever fishing but probably won't be my last. It was a fun day sharing with Erich @Red Hering, thanks for inviting me to be your partner. Here's some photos I hope you enjoy.

IMG_1540.JPGIMG_1542.JPGIMG_1543.JPGIMG_1546.JPGIMG_1547.JPGIMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG

The "Red Ripple" team :rolleyes:
IMG_1549.JPG

Was great to meet you too @Wave Runner and the Red Wave did end up making a pretty big splash. Just to weigh in 2 fish in those wavey conditions was an accomplishment and I was surprised that most teams did weigh fish, including our team! That tank on the Release Boat held some very decent pike.

Recap of our day in the Outer Bay
It was tough going for us early on. We were staring at a goose egg after a couple of hours. By then, most of those that first went to the Bluff with us had left the scene. It was pretty snotty out there. We were discussing a move to Normandale.

Then, we finally landed a pike, but it was so damn small that it slipped through the mesh of @Three Bouys' net and was back in the drink?. We regrouped and @Three Bouys pulled a couple of new tricks out of his bag that he picked up recently, helped by tech support from Angling Outfitters. I buffed up an old lure from the 90s and sent it out. The waves slowly started to subside, the sun got higher and brighter, and the fish got a little more active. Suddenly, we had a "program" that was working.

Not long after that first hammer handle, we thought we had a very good half of our 2 fish ticket, but it turned out to be Jim's massive 8 lb. walleye - a personal best for him at the Bluffo_O?. We continued to catch decent fish, most in the 4 to 6 lb. range. The biggest fish came near the end of the day as the clock was running out. I think I can speak for @Three Bouys when I say we were darn lucky. We thought we maybe had enough weight to finish in the money, but guessed that an Inner Bay fish in double-digits would take Big Fish and the title.

@stomp… I got a bigger splash in the side of my face trying to cross that bay than the Red Wave made but we had fun together. That was good you and Jim changing things up until something worked, that's what fishing success is all about. Erich and myself caught about a 1/2 doz. pike quickly in the first 45 minutes or so including a double header then things just died with nary a touch after that. Obviously you 2 guys proved it's not how you start it's how you finish that matters. ;)

Hope everyone had a good time yesterday pike tournament didn’t turn out the way we had planned for but we were there but the fish weren’t had a small pike but didn’t bother weighing it in it was just nice being there an at least got to see some nice fish being weighed in. It was a little hard Going to sleep last night so before heading home this morning I throw a few cast and picked up a descent pike . Will try our luck again next year ..

Attachments

• 4BB23EFE-31A6-48C9-96CC-CBF6EB664F11.jpeg
    4BB23EFE-31A6-48C9-96CC-CBF6EB664F11.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 80137E81-32C8-4C19-93F6-EF9266388646.jpeg
    80137E81-32C8-4C19-93F6-EF9266388646.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 5CDF6733-98AC-483E-9CA8-A02B07AC401E.png
    5CDF6733-98AC-483E-9CA8-A02B07AC401E.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 85C57AB2-B4A3-4D4B-AD33-AED900A3BCCF.jpeg
    85C57AB2-B4A3-4D4B-AD33-AED900A3BCCF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • 1C1395BC-BA6A-461F-9158-F611C3236497.jpeg
    1C1395BC-BA6A-461F-9158-F611C3236497.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 78532844-5E73-40A5-BB92-9752184579C6.png
    78532844-5E73-40A5-BB92-9752184579C6.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
First the best part was meeting other members face to face such as @stomp, @Three Bouys, @spilliard1 , @Dotcom and others, it was truly a pleasure. Myself and @Red Hering had a blast even though our #8 team "Red Wave" turned out to be just a ripple. :cry::D Congrats to @stomp and @Three Bouys for their well deserved back to back first place finish. (y) Hat's off to Old Cut Boat Livery & Old Cut Marina and all others who helped put together this well organized event in which was my first time ever fishing but probably won't be my last. It was a fun day sharing with Erich @Red Hering, thanks for inviting me to be your partner. Here's some photos I hope you enjoy.

View attachment 11145View attachment 11146View attachment 11147View attachment 11148View attachment 11149View attachment 11150
View attachment 11151

View attachment 11152
Excellent photo’s and report @Wave Runner!! I had a great time with you,and are you sure?that you haven’t fished for pike on long point bay for the last 15 years? You were on ? fire,with our 2 biggest pike caught by you.? It was also my pleasure to introduce you to @stomp ,@Three Bouys,@spilliard1and @Dotcom,etc.It was also great for me to see other members again,and also meeting new members such as @Jumbojim.?Thanks a lot @Jumbojim for the homemade spud bar,it’s a beauty,and yes,we will definitely have to get together for a ice fishing trip this winter as we were discussing yesterday.We will keep in touch!! ??Glad to read @Wave Runner that you still want to partner up with the @Red Hering again after I helped,(lol),to loose one of your big pike that you were reeling in to the boat,because of me trying to untangle my lure that crossed and wrapped around your line while I was reeling in my line.??Could that have been the trophy ? pike that could of won this Fall Pike Classic for us @Wave Runner and knock @stomp and @Three Bouys out of 1st place,and also from back to back pike classic wins??? ?☺️ All and all it was a fantastic time to be enjoying this great sport of fishing!! ????

Attachments

• 0BAB7ED1-CF64-441B-9914-E75F7DC92090.jpeg
    0BAB7ED1-CF64-441B-9914-E75F7DC92090.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Always a good tournament put on by the LPBAA. It was a pleasure tomeet you @Wave Runner and the usual faces.
Like @stomp mention the start was a little sketchy with the thoughts of heading to the north shore. But the perseverance finally paid off when I changed tactics. I’ve fished the Bluffs for quite awhile and knew it produces big fish. My personal best is 16.3 lbs and @stomp was there that day Also on another occasion for a 15.1 lb.

First the best part was meeting other members face to face such as @stomp, @Three Bouys, @spilliard1, @Dotcom and others, it was truly a pleasure. Myself and @Red Hering had a blast even though our #8 team "Red Wave" turned out to be just a ripple. :cry::D Congrats to @stomp and @Three Bouys for their well deserved back to back first place finish. (y) Hat's off to Old Cut Boat Livery & Old Cut Marina and all others who helped put together this well organized event in which was my first time ever fishing but probably won't be my last. It was a fun day sharing with Erich @Red Hering, thanks for inviting me to be your partner. Here's some photos I hope you enjoy.

View attachment 11145View attachment 11146View attachment 11147View attachment 11148View attachment 11149View attachment 11150
View attachment 11151

View attachment 11152
Great pic gents!

Always a good tournament put on by the LPBAA. It was a pleasure tomeet you @Wave Runner and the usual faces.
Like @stomp mention the start was a little sketchy with the thoughts of heading to the north shore. But the perseverance finally paid off when I changed tactics. I’ve fished the Bluffs for quite awhile and knew it produces big fish. My personal best is 16.3 lbs and @stomp was there that day Also on another occasion for a 15.1 lb.
Impressive TB, what a great fishery we have right in our back yards! Cheers.

@Three Bouys… Those pike caught by you and I believe the other though in the bright sun appears to be Micky Finn are exceptional but especially for LPB. That would have been fun to bring that pair to the weigh-in on Saturday. Nice videos thanks for sharing. :D

@Red Hering … Hey don't worry about losing a pike my friend or any fish for that matter, there's lots more where it came from. Besides if I had a nickel for every fish I lost during my life I'd be a rich man piloting a big Wellcraft like @Three Bouys in the choppy water of LPB. :cool:

Last edited:
@Red Hering … Hey don't worry about losing a pike my friend or any fish for that matter, there's lots more where it came from. Besides if I had a nickel for every fish I lost during my life I'd be a rich man piloting a big Wellcraft like @Three Bouys in the choppy water of LPB. :cool:
Thanks @Wave Runner,for lifting me back off the ground,and you are a great person and friend,and again it was a pleasure fishing with you out of my boat.?Some anglers such as @stomp and @Three Bouys and other tournament participants were running 4 fishing rods,(2 rods per angler),out of their boats,which of course you are allowed to do in zone 19.I didn’t bring my 2 extra rod holders in the boat,because of the strong winds predicted for saturday,but the 2 extra lines in the water would of course helped us out,but with the way the strong west winds were blowing yesterday,there could of perhaps been more tangles,and I lost one good pike that you were trying to reel in due to my fishing line being tangled with your fishing line,and we only had 2 lines in the water.Oh well,that’s fishing,and as the saying goes,”the big one that got away!!” Tight Lines to All & Fish ON!! ????

Last edited:
@Three Bouys… Those pike caught by you and I believe the other though in the bright sun appears to be Micky Finn are exceptional but especially for LPB. That would have been fun to bring that pair to the weigh-in on Saturday. Nice videos thanks for sharing. :D
@Wave Runner that is @Mickey Finn for sure. That’s a memory he will never forget. That day we were fishing out of @chaseneyes boat with my poles and tackle.

This is obviously way more fun than putting a boat away for the season.

Congrats to all.
That’s for sure @hvyhaul!! ?It was a lot of fun,and I would do it again in a minute!!?? My boat is still hooked up to my truck since last saturdays Fall Pike Classic,and I am waiting to be going fishing again somewhere!! Likely on long point bay for more “toothy” pike,or even on Lake Erie for walleye’s,if the winds aren’t too strong on lake erie. Tight Lines & Fish ON!! ????

@Red Hering, based on what's been said here about my lack of fishing prowess and general bad luck, team @Three Bouys was starting with a huge disadvantage. ?? But, If I get a chance to fish this tourney again, I will fish with 1 pole and will have Jim blindfold me to give Red Wave a chance?.
Gee thanks @stomp!! I think ?!! LOL Have a great day,my funny friend!! We both live in London,and I believe close by to each other,and we will need to get together one day for a coffee,or a Busch beer or two? PM me anytime and Cheers!! ??

Attachments

• E5BA2107-7D52-4597-9FDC-ADEF1FF041B1.jpeg
    E5BA2107-7D52-4597-9FDC-ADEF1FF041B1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Gee thanks @stomp!! I think ?!! LOL Have a great day,my funny friend!! We both live in London,and I believe close by to each other,and we will need to get together one day for a coffee,or a Busch beer or two? PM me anytime and Cheers!! ??
I should have hung on to one of @Morecowbell23 's cases of Busch for the occasion @Red Hering. Surely @Three Bouys doesn't need that much beer:).

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks