Off Topic Braid tips?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

I'm considering switching to a braid this year for perch. Any tips on how to spool the reel and tie the pickeral rig/lure on would be helpful. Thanks.

I've only ever used braid. What have you been using? I always tired a snap swivel to the end of my like straight to my Pickerel rig.[/QUOT

Monofilament. It's all I've ever used. (cheaper too) I've done well with it, but I've been told braid is better because it doesn't stretch so you see more bites and hook sets are better, so I thought I'd give it a try. IF I don't like it I can always go back to what I've always used and had success with.

I prefer fireline crystal over braid on spinning reels. It actually works out cheaper than mono as a spool can last years rather than months between respooling. For perch, I'd say give the 6lb or 8lb a try. I use a simple clinch knot but go 12-15 turns instead of the 5 or so you'dd use with mono.

Josh

I've have always used 10lb (6lb mono diameter)braid for perch. I use a drop shot rig with 6lb flouro for leader, VMC spin shot drop shot hooks and 1/4-3/8oz bell sinker. I use a double uni knot to attach my braid to my flouro because it eliminates the use of a swivel because the spin shot hooks have a swivel built into them. This set up in my opinion is very sensitive. The braid with no stretch makes you feel the lightest biting perch. Good luck and tight lines.

Forgot to mention i only go with the 10lb braid because I have lost many fish/rigs by going with lighter line/leader (4-6lb) then hooking into bigger channel cats and pics out of Burwell. I find the 10lb very comparable to 6lb mono just zero stretch

Thanks everyone.:) The more info I can get before I go to buy the new line for this year, the better.

Braid is the way to go for sure .suffix 832 or powerpro are my choices . A small fluro carbon leader may be used. Can back with cheaper mono if costs is a concern. 2 tips to use ...1. If not using mono backing put some electrical tape on spool first 3 to 4 wraps . 2. Always use line conditioner spray on braid.. will last longer and keep the knotting down. Bass pro makes a good one.

You will find braid much better Trevor for all the reasons already stated and more. Several good braids out there but for perch I like Spider Wire Fusion while for trolling I love using Power Pro. I get many seasons with the braid compared to changing every year when I used to use mono. No memory so no spiral curling like mono always ends up doing.

Sorry Trevor, meant to say Spider Wire Stealth not fusion. :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Spinning reels=braid We are also catching perch in deeper water it seems >15 feet and braid is the only way to go. I always go braid to a fluoro leader then tie on drop shot or pickeral rig. Dont strip off all your mono use it as backing. Then you dont need as much braid.

I got a question for @jerk bait , whats with the line conditioner for braid? You are now the second person this week I have heard of using that, I thought it was usually a fluoro application. How does it change your braid? I ask this because I am generally using braid, no line conditioner, never had a problem but hey who knows if it could be better eh?

@Trevor M I got my first drop shot setup this year and I'm going to spool the reel with a layer of electrical tape, mono backing, 15 lb hi vis power pro, then 6-8 lb fluoro leader (I fish more bass tho, so I may have bigger line size). I recommend the mono backing for sure. The electrical tape is if you go for straight braid, but I got into the habit with my baitcasters because I like to cinch my drag down and want things as tight as possible. You can put more mono on then you think, you only need like 60-75 yards of your mainline. This will save you money and make a roll last a couple seasons. Depending on the water you fish, I imagine you don't get all the way to the backing if you are fishing for perch. Worst case ontario and you hook onto a pike that peels line, the mono backing can be a shock absorber. I like the hi vis line because with the right length of leader, fish can't see it, and it is very easy to watch your line (especially if you get some soft perch bites) so you can set the hook better.

I've also used both Power Pro and Sufix 832 and like both, whatever is on sale is what I grab.

Another tip to make braid last longer, after this season, transfer the line to another reel. The bottom half of what's on the reel wont see sun, elements, etc. It wont be frayed, or experience the deterioration the top half would after repeated casts. It's like having new line without spending the money!

I got a question for @jerk bait , whats with the line conditioner for braid? You are now the second person this week I have heard of using that, I thought it was usually a fluoro application. How does it change your braid? I ask this because I am generally using braid, no line conditioner, never had a problem but hey who knows if it could be better eh?

@Trevor M I got my first drop shot setup this year and I'm going to spool the reel with a layer of electrical tape, mono backing, 15 lb hi vis power pro, then 6-8 lb fluoro leader (I fish more bass tho, so I may have bigger line size). I recommend the mono backing for sure. The electrical tape is if you go for straight braid, but I got into the habit with my baitcasters because I like to cinch my drag down and want things as tight as possible. You can put more mono on then you think, you only need like 60-75 yards of your mainline. This will save you money and make a roll last a couple seasons. Depending on the water you fish, I imagine you don't get all the way to the backing if you are fishing for perch. Worst case ontario and you hook onto a pike that peels line, the mono backing can be a shock absorber. I like the hi vis line because with the right length of leader, fish can't see it, and it is very easy to watch your line (especially if you get some soft perch bites) so you can set the hook better.

I've also used both Power Pro and Sufix 832 and like both, whatever is on sale is what I grab.

Another tip to make braid last longer, after this season, transfer the line to another reel. The bottom half of what's on the reel wont see sun, elements, etc. It wont be frayed, or experience the deterioration the top half would after repeated casts. It's like having new line without spending the money!
Well this goes hand in hand with bass fishing as that is what I do the most. Cast after cast after cast often leaves the braid knotted and twisted which leads to knotting as well. Makes it harder to cast through the guides and reduces strength . It also helps with sun damage and reduces the amount of water the braid will retain. It will increase the life of the braid as well from sun damage .I think it actually lubricates it as well. I won't spool up again without using it . You may never notice a difference if you are still fishing or jigging but cast a fast moving crank or topwster all day for 1000 casts and you will be glad you used it. Its cheap 7 bucks a bottle and will last for years . Bass pro especially for braid . I agree about the two types of braid about being the best as I buy both . Suffix seems a tad more flexible

Back