New Bait casting Reel...Line recommendations?

Consequence Free

Just purchased my first bait casting reel from Bass Pro Shops. Have always used open faced with monofilament line. I've been encouraged to try braided line with this new reel......any comments? I've heard knot tying is slightly different. Give me your thoughts.
Thanks,
Ken

I have a love /hate relationship with mine. I found that a heavier mono works the best . Braid knots up too easy unless you are really experienced !!

Put some 15lb. mono on it to start and practice in the backyard, tie on a 3/8 or 1/2 oz. sinker and start with short casts until you get the hang of it. The spool control knob will be your best friend to start, it is usually on the same side of the reel as your handle, tighten it so the spool spins slowly when you push the cast thumb bar. Once you get the hang of it, you can put some 30-50lb. braid on the reel, most people like power pro or suffix braid. Hope this helps, Chris.

It all depends on the reel and the skill. I have always had the same love hate relationship with my 30 year old Shimano Bantam. Then I spent a bit more money on a mid level Quantum, better but not great. So I just used them for trolling and stayed with my spinning reels, all Shimanos as well. I went on a Musky charter to Nip last fall and used the guides Currado's, man what a difference a $180.00 reel makes. Not one backlash casting all day, zero. I agree if this your first go at baitcasters stick to a heavier mono. That way you won't break the bank replacing line. The heavier the lure the easier to cast. My old bait casters are going on the wall as I went out and bought a real Shimano Currado 1. I can now see what the difference between a 50 buck reel and a 200 buck reel is. I am a believer now. There is a massive difference. It should last me my lifetime.

No, but when I was being taught how to use one, that was the tip that got me to release at the correct time.

Appreciate it....think I will start with mono line.....although, 15 lb test seems pretty strong. Takes away from the play of the fish. I really don't like
using anything over 6 lb test.

What Rocket09 said is good advice. Will take a while to get the hang of it. Love my bait casters. There is a magnetic break you can adjust for casting. You may want to keep it high until you get the hang of it. It will help stop birds nests. The best advice I can give is don't let your friends try out your real. Every time my friends use mine it is handed back to me with a big birds nest and a sorry Pete.
Knots are very easy for braid, just look on the box that the braid is in. Good luck, bring extra line.

Tough to use light line on a baitcaster. They are really meant for heavier line and heavier lures. I would think the lightest line you would want to use is 10lb. test and 1/4-3/8oz. lures. Baitcast reels are used more for bass or pike fishing, where you are often fishing around weeds so 15lb. test is not that heavy and most bass and pike lures are 3/8oz and heavier. Once you get the hang of using a baitcaster it is hard to put down, the only times I use a spinning reel are perch fishing and drop shotting with lighter line. Good luck, Chris.

I bought a new Shimano Calais not Currado. Sorry.

@HTHM, I might not try that style of casting, a good way to get a hook or more on the top of your head.

If you only paid $200 for a shimano Calais, you got a great deal on it. I paid that much for my shimano curado. You are right you get what you pay for in a reel. I started out with a cheaper model and there is no comparison with a $50 reel and a $200 reel. There was some really good deals on used baitcast reels at the tackle swap in Ancaster last weekend. Chris.

@WhatsthePoint next we are out i will be happy to show you what I mean. It is difficult to put into words unless you are observing at the time. Basically release at 10 - 11 o'clock using a clock dial as a guide for your rod tip arc.
Hope that helps...

You said aim for the sky Albert, I get the 11 0clock release, but I thought in my mind the sky is strait up. You don't want to release at 12 o'clock. Straight up is straight down onto your noggin. As for the next time we get out together I'm not sure because I don't need a wrongful death lawsuit from your family!

BTW @HTHM, what reel did you pick up last Saturday? I hope the Calais 1 I picked up works as well as the one Nippising Musky charter Capt. Dan Columby set me up with. But we were tossing bricks i.e.heavy Musky lures. The heavier the lure being cast the less likely a carbunklement.

I picked up a Chronarch.
BTW the sky does extend all the way to the horizon. :cigar:

Braid, around 30lbs, is going to be your best bet. It won't get all kinked and break on your first backlash. Your Calais doesn't have magnetic brakes, as suggested by another member. They are centrifugal. Here is how to set it.
I would start out with 4 of the brake blocks pushed out (on). Then wiggle the spool back and forth while you tighten up the spool tensioner, which is the knob on the handle side. Eliminate all play, side to side from the spool. You can probably tighten it up a little more, but the goal is to have that spool spinning as free as possible eventually.
If your backlashes happen early or mid cast, ease up and smooth out your casting motion, as well as using more of the centrifugal brake blocks in the 'on' position. If they happen when the lure touches down (also called an overrun) you can tighten up the spool tension a bit, but you probably need a little more thumb education.
Before you start 'aiming for the sky' I suggest smooth, sidearm casts to start, increasing in speed with your confidence. Makes small adjustments to your brakes. Ultimately, that reel will cast 3/8 and up with 2 brakes on and minimal spool tension (never so lose the spool wiggles) pretty safely once you get the hang of it.

Braid, around 30lbs, is going to be your best bet. It won't get all kinked and break on your first backlash. Your Calais doesn't have magnetic brakes, as suggested by another member. They are centrifugal. Here is how to set it.
I would start out with 4 of the brake blocks pushed out (on). Then wiggle the spool back and forth while you tighten up the spool tensioner, which is the knob on the handle side. Eliminate all play, side to side from the spool. You can probably tighten it up a little more, but the goal is to have that spool spinning as free as possible eventually.
If your backlashes happen early or mid cast, ease up and smooth out your casting motion, as well as using more of the centrifugal brake blocks in the 'on' position. If they happen when the lure touches down (also called an overrun) you can tighten up the spool tension a bit, but you probably need a little more thumb education.
Before you start 'aiming for the sky' I suggest smooth, sidearm casts to start, increasing in speed with your confidence. Makes small adjustments to your brakes. Ultimately, that reel will cast 3/8 and up with 2 brakes on and minimal spool tension (never so lose the spool wiggles) pretty safely once you get the hang of it.

Some great suggestions. I always set the overspool tension by releasing the thumb lock and letting the lure free spool until it hit the ground. Adjust the spool tensioner until the line doesn't overspool. When Bass fishing a few rods rigged with different weights of baits for the reel set ups. I think thats the reason you see Bass guys go out with multiple rods. I do however disagree on using braid for a first timer, having said that I never tried 30 pound braid when learning.

They sell a multi tool at most bait shops that has a nail clipper and a knife to cut line and most importantly for bait casters a small pic with a hook on it that makes getting a carbunklement out easily, get one, they are a blessing to get a mess untangled.

Appreciate it....think I will start with mono line.....although, 15 lb test seems pretty strong. Takes away from the play of the fish. I really don't like
using anything over 6 lb test.

Tie a leader of thinner fluorocarbon on the heavier mono. I always have a leader of flouro on anything I fish for in Gin clear waters like Erie. I know an argument may ensue buy I personally think it's a must here on Erie. You go with what you have confidence in. Like a leader or a spool of Andes Zero on Quinte, a long story. The Readers Digest version, I was told to get Andes mono way back when. I was out fishing both boats as no one else was putting fish in the cooler but me, all day. Tied about 6 feet on my pals line and only the 2 of us caught fish. I should have sold it to the others too cheap to buy any by the inch. I have never tempted fate going with lighter than 10 pound mono diameter line. With all the super lines out it is more related to diameter.

Last edited:
If you only paid $200 for a shimano Calais, you got a great deal on it. I paid that much for my shimano curado. You are right you get what you pay for in a reel. I started out with a cheaper model and there is no comparison with a $50 reel and a $200 reel. There was some really good deals on used baitcast reels at the tackle swap in Ancaster last weekend. Chris.

Yea Chris great deal. I picked up a new one in Florida in at a fishing show like the Ancaster show last week. @HTHM those Chronarchs are beauties, not in my budget. I don't know what you paid but the C14's were going for over 300 USD at the same sale in Fla.

Just purchased my first bait casting reel from Bass Pro Shops. Have always used open faced with monofilament line. I've been encouraged to try braided line with this new reel......any comments? I've heard knot tying is slightly different. Give me your thoughts.
Thanks,
Ken
This is a pretty easy one. They all make good to great bait caster reels now remember you get what you pay for. I run s st Croix rod and high end Abu Garcia reel, works great. The new rapala reels are top notch too. Now the line is really simple ....if you want the best braid on the market it's suffix 832. Anywhere from 20 to 60 pound in low visit green. Best line I have have used with power pro second. Go with a clear fluorocarbon leader and you are ready.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks