What 3 words app.

Stick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Read an article in the paper about a hiker lost in the woods and that OPP advised her to download the app to make finding her much easier . Anybody using it? Since my favourite fishing takes me into questionable cell access areas I've already downloaded it but wonder about it's functionality. Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it I guess.

I downloaded it last night and played with it after my friend sent me that article.
Pretty interesting
Not sure how it works when out of cell service
My location right now

Lurching endears shadows

Did cross my mind that it’s just to track our movements during the stay at home order lol (I know I’m a little crazy but that’s okay if you don’t like it oh well)

I do like the idea of this app..

One of my trips I got a little turned around deep at the back of a swamp..
had me going in circles a few times
My handheld gps wasn’t getting a good signal or something... For a moment I was getting frustrated. Eventually looking at Google maps (it was working enough I could see the satalite image of where I was) started heading in the right direction for a few hundred yards my handheld gps started pointing me in the right direction and I was able to get out.

Did cross my mind that it’s just to track our movements during the stay at home order lol (I know I’m a little crazy but that’s okay if you don’t like it oh well)

I do like the idea of this app..

One of my trips I got a little turned around deep at the back of a swamp..
had me going in circles a few times
My handheld gps wasn’t getting a good signal or something... For a moment I was getting frustrated. Eventually looking at Google maps (it was working enough I could see the satalite image of where I was) started heading in the right direction for a few hundred yards my handheld gps started pointing me in the right direction and I was able to get out.
and that's why he's here today

Last edited:
What happened?

edit: I now see the part you highlighted
But I still wouldn’t mind reading your story if you care to share
derkd9 wasn't referring to me was attempt at ha ha for you did small correction to make it clear what I meant

This app is another tool in the tool box.
It works from your phone's gps, so it does not rely on cell service and can be more or less accurate than the 911 drop or cell ping from your phone.
OPP only started using it in December and it in no way relays your location to them. You have to relay the "what3words" in order to give your location. Without speaking to you, they have no access to anyone's location.
Beware though, as it can be VERY inaccurate as well. As in over 4 km away.....
So do not rely on this, it's only another tool.

I downloaded it last night and played with it after my friend sent me that article.
Pretty interesting
Not sure how it works when out of cell service
My location right now

Lurching endears shadows
I tried it too... my words were: "eat shit die"??

Is there somewhere in the app where you can enter the 3 words someone else gave you to find their location?
I haven’t figured that out

Here is the article, what I can’t figure out is how an avid hiker got lost in the Pinery.... seriously... walk in any direction and you are going to hit the beach, river or road.... not only that, her phone has GPS... google maps?

Try carrying a good ole compass ya Wankers, what r ya all Citified Pavement Dwellin' Idjit's...lol
I'm not worried about getting lost on my home waters. I'm more concerned if something bad happens while cleaning a path with the machete or chainsaw, portaging over log jambs, a late season swim resulting in hypothermia or, as it happened this fall, slipping in the mud and throwing my back out bad enough that I can't get out of the bush under my own power. (Thankfully it popped back into place before I had to cross waste deep on slimy clay patch.)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks