Youngs Creek No Access?

trky chsr

Took the Grandkids down to Youngs Creek in Vittoria a couple of weeks ago to see if we could see any rainbows or salmon. The dam was no problem but when we went down to the second bridge we were met with "No Parking" signs and red dots everywhere. I didn't make it down last year or earlier this year but does anyone know what's going on? I thought that was all part of LPRCA. Actually I contacted them and it took quite a while to get a straight answer. I guess they own most of the floodplain along the river but the bridge is private and the county put up the no parking signs as I guess people were blocking the homeowners laneway. They also weren't clear about access from the East from #24. TC

Ever try to get access to fishers glen creek at or near the lake. People have taken over the entire road and posted signs on land they don’t even own. When you ask the MNR or even our MPP all you get is a twisted answer.

Took the Grandkids down to Youngs Creek in Vittoria a couple of weeks ago to see if we could see any rainbows or salmon. The dam was no problem but when we went down to the second bridge we were met with "No Parking" signs and red dots everywhere. I didn't make it down last year or earlier this year but does anyone know what's going on? I thought that was all part of LPRCA. Actually I contacted them and it took quite a while to get a straight answer. I guess they own most of the floodplain along the river but the bridge is private and the county put up the no parking signs as I guess people were blocking the homeowners laneway. They also weren't clear about access from the East from #24. TC
if my memory serves me right once you crossed the bridge it gave you access to a parking area. does LPRCA own that or are private citizens claiming that as well???

By the look of the map the back bridge may be Sowden Conservation area?

Attachments

• LPRCA_Hunting_Map_2016 (1).pdf
    743.9 KB · Views: 116
took a close up look at that map Dave---it would appear that whole stretch is a conservation area so don't see how you can be restricted in using it----know the bridge is fubar but you could still walk in???

if my memory serves me right once you crossed the bridge it gave you access to a parking area. does LPRCA own that or are private citizens claiming that as well???
The bridge has been closed to vehicle traffic for a few years but I thought the county closed it. According to LPRCA the bridge is privately owned.

took a close up look at that map Dave---it would appear that whole stretch is a conservation area so don't see how you can be restricted in using it----know the bridge is fubar but you could still walk in???
Thats the question I asked them and all they have come up with so far is there is an old fire lane that accesses that section but they didn't say yes or no whether the public can access the creek from there. TC

again I have to call on my memory but there "used" to be a small area where you could park b4 the bridge and just walk in????? last time I was in that area walked the creek almost to the hiway---mother nature was taking back what was hers----pretty wild looking area

The area upstream from the bridge on Commercial road up to the line across the creek before the culvert on the west side is 100% conservation land and is accessible to the public, other side of the river and down from the bridge is not. Cool place for sure with all the odd ball fish (pinks, browns, cohos) but the folklore that surrounds it is largely just that. It’s hardly worth fishing IMO unless all the other options are blown out and even then the deepest pool if you want to call it that is about 4 feet deep. You could always just park down at the beach and walk up the road to access.

The area upstream from the bridge on Commercial road up to the line across the creek before the culvert on the west side is 100% conservation land and is accessible to the public, other side of the river and down from the bridge is not. Cool place for sure with all the odd ball fish (pinks, browns, cohos) but the folklore that surrounds it is largely just that. It’s hardly worth fishing IMO unless all the other options are blown out and even then the deepest pool if you want to call it that is about 4 feet deep. You could always just park down at the beach and walk up the road to access.
:geek: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The land on the north side of Youngs Creek downstream of the old steel bridge at the end of mill pond road in Vittoria is the Sowden tract. The land was sold/donated to the LPRCA years ago by my grandfather. I took my kids every fall to walk the river. Years ago you could drive across the bridge and there was a small parking lot with a Sowden tract sign. I missed last year and went a week ago to find no where to park. Sad.

The land on the north side of Youngs Creek downstream of the old steel bridge at the end of mill pond road in Vittoria is the Sowden tract. The land was sold/donated to the LPRCA years ago by my grandfather. I took my kids every fall to walk the river. Years ago you could drive across the bridge and there was a small parking lot with a Sowden tract sign. I missed last year and went a week ago to find no where to park. Sad.
thanks for posting----interesting read

Sorry Stick I don’t speak emoji?
@Greg Dickson Sorry, the first emoji is "Am I reading this right?" The others are me rolling my eyes in disbelief. I guess I'm just getting old but the oddball fish and being apart of the folklore of a stream not worth fishing had me a little.........confused. There is a lot more to that system than many who have sampled it once or twice can see. It is definitely not your typical centrepin drift water for the most part but I've shared a lot of time, laughs and have great friendships from times shared with some of the most accomplished trout bums I've ever met. And we met on that water and shared banner days and skunks together enduring frozen fingers, rockets that loved to bury themselves back in the junk or outright head back to the lake where they just came from.

We all have our favorite water, methods and opinions when it comes to trout fishing, or any fishing for that matter. This is just my opinion and not a personal attack so please take it as intended. Just my response to your question.

Think ill be sending out some emails today LPRCA, norfolk county andI think ill even send one to the MNR i think i have a right to acess and fish that land on conservation property. And hes trying to interfear with that. Ivr bin there what that pace was packed like Bronte and ive not once seen that clowns driveway blocked and im sure we have some CO' s thatll agree

I dont know him but your Grandfather was a great man for donating that little slice of gods country

@Greg Dickson Sorry, the first emoji is "Am I reading this right?" The others are me rolling my eyes in disbelief. I guess I'm just getting old but the oddball fish and being apart of the folklore of a stream not worth fishing had me a little.........confused. There is a lot more to that system than many who have sampled it once or twice can see. It is definitely not your typical centrepin drift water for the most part but I've shared a lot of time, laughs and have great friendships from times shared with some of the most accomplished trout bums I've ever met. And we met on that water and shared banner days and skunks together enduring frozen fingers, rockets that loved to bury themselves back in the junk or outright head back to the lake where they just came from.

We all have our favorite water, methods and opinions when it comes to trout fishing, or any fishing for that matter. This is just my opinion and not a personal attack so please take it as intended. Just my response to your question.
That’s the great thing about an opinion, we can all have one and none of them are necessarily right or wrong! It’s not confrontation it’s conversations.
I’ve had some great days there too and although undoubtedly fewer than you have, more than just a sample.
It is for sure a special place and I’m glad you have so many fond memories.
I guess “hardly worth fishing” was a bit of an exaggeration, any day fishing is better than not, and when the water is up it can be good. I just have a hard time when it’s so low and clear and skinny. When you know there’s no fish because if there was you would see them. And they would see you. I guess I would just rather be able to stretch my legs and not be able to jump across without getting my toes wet. And wonder what’s in that deep hole rather than count every rock.
I grew up fishing a tiny creek for specks and loved every minute of it, when I was a kid.
Again I do appreciate and value your opinion and experiences. It’s just not for me anymore.

That’s the great thing about an opinion, we can all have one and none of them are necessarily right or wrong! It’s not confrontation it’s conversations.
I’ve had some great days there too and although undoubtedly fewer than you have, more than just a sample.
It is for sure a special place and I’m glad you have so many fond memories.
I guess “hardly worth fishing” was a bit of an exaggeration, any day fishing is better than not, and when the water is up it can be good. I just have a hard time when it’s so low and clear and skinny. When you know there’s no fish because if there was you would see them. And they would see you. I guess I would just rather be able to stretch my legs and not be able to jump across without getting my toes wet. And wonder what’s in that deep hole rather than count every rock.
I grew up fishing a tiny creek for specks and loved every minute of it, when I was a kid.
Again I do appreciate and value your opinion and experiences. It’s just not for me anymore.
It's a rare day anymore I fish Youngs as well. I would rather have some room to play out a worthy adversary than to hook and haul like you have to on this little creek but if I see a prime day I'll be there. Enjoy the fall run while we have it. Lock up comes far to soon. Peace!

It's a rare day anymore I fish Youngs as well. I would rather have some room to play out a worthy adversary than to hook and haul like you have to on this little creek but if I see a prime day I'll be there. Enjoy the fall run while we have it. Lock up comes far to soon. Peace!
Same to you Stick I’m sure I’ll run into you again sometime but it has been a while. Do you remember the day about 8 years ago late December, I was fishing the carp hole down behind the arena with my buddy Taylor and you and your buddy Paul (RIP) showed up and started fishing with us? Paul hooked a big fish at the very back of the run and ended up losing it in the rapids downstream. We hooked fish one after another in the main corner and then Paul hooked another monster buck up at the front before the tree. He ended up landing it and it was every ounce of 15 lbs. I’ll never forget the guy fishing across the creek landed about 12 fish and kept yelling over at us “got another one!” and “looks like you picked the wrong side today Stick!”

Same to you Stick I’m sure I’ll run into you again sometime but it has been a while. Do you remember the day about 8 years ago late December, I was fishing the carp hole down behind the arena with my buddy Taylor and you and your buddy Paul (RIP) showed up and started fishing with us? Paul hooked a big fish at the very back of the run and ended up losing it in the rapids downstream. We hooked fish one after another in the main corner and then Paul hooked another monster buck up at the front before the tree. He ended up landing it and it was every ounce of 15 lbs. I’ll never forget the guy fishing across the creek landed about 12 fish and kept yelling over at us “got another one!” and “looks like you picked the wrong side today Stick!”
As the years go by, so many days become a blur. I'm guessing that the other guy was Dan Ratch.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks