Fishing Report Yesterday Maitland Report

Fish Farmer

Got our Walleye limit yesterday drifting with a worm harness and 1 oz sinker with spinning rod&reel out in 80 plus feet.
At times as wind slowed I set my elec at 1 to 3 speed, wind pushed us westward.
Was nice to not use riggers or dipsy. We also caught a few sheephead in the mix.

Thanks for the report @Fish Farmer, was starting to wonder if everyone had given up on Erie.
@hvyhaul I haven’t given up yet on Lake Erie,but I am waiting and looking at the marine forecast about 3 times daily for a fairly good light wind report to fish in compared to what we have been getting lately,and the wind forecast seems to change everyday to worst it seems!! :( Also the walleye’s are out in much deeper water up to 65 to even 72 feet of water now,and deep down just above the bottom,so safety first for me always,because I fish solo a lot,due to the fact that I usually leave at the spur of the moment,because,all of a sudden the wind forecast has changed for the better. ? :) Here’s hoping for some safe winds,(below 15 knots for my liking to feel comfortable in my 18.5 foot lund boat,and walleye action on soon. 981DA2E0-4E89-4130-94E3-BD3F4FC24B91.jpeg.?????

Last edited:
Yes not many people out as there has been.
Talked to a few guys back at the launch said they were struggling to get any fish, only 5 or 6
Got our Walleye limit yesterday drifting with a worm harness and 1 oz sinker with spinning rod&reel out in 80 plus feet.
Was nice to not use riggers or dipsy. We also caught a few sheephead in the mix.
Good fishing @Fish Farmer & enjoy your walleye fry!! ?:p?

Talked to a few guys back at the launch said they were struggling to get any fish, only 5 or 6
@Fish Farmer the lack of anglers especially around this time of year from what I have observed over the year’s is,that some of the anglers switch their fishing rods for guns to prepare themselves for the hunting season.Thank goodness that I don’t hunt and even play golf as well!! I love this time of year for fishing to have a chance of catching a trophy fish,wether it be a walleye,bass,muskie and a pike,etc.I do realize also that the walleye’s do move deeper this time of year and some anglers might not have the right size boat to go to much deeper water,therefore,good weather/wind conditions is a must & be safe everyone & fish ON!! 86697113-2A0C-4CCE-BFEE-FA0555F4E10B.jpeg ? ????

Last edited:
You wouldnt know anyone quit based on the boats Sunday off of Nanticoke. Ive never seen anything like it. Well maybe off Bronte back in the early days of the salmon fishery taking off.

Crazy good fishing out there, and lots of courtesy on the water. Usual lack of etiquette at times at the ramp.

Burwell was like that Saturday, numbers were way down, and many people talking on the radio were really struggling.

I was with @scoop! who has fished Eire a long time. Finding the fish took time, but once found, it was a great day.

I had plans somewhat for today, but I have a daughter in town and a followup at the hospital at 2:00 pm so I didn't want to limit myself time wise. sooo now I have plans for early-mid next week winds/waves permitting.

Yes @Red Hering the fish were much deeper Saturday 63-65 ft and laying on bottom. They did start coming up while we were fishing and I heard back later in the evening that the walleye were much higher later in the day.

I am planning for next week and then likely pulling the boat.. Gonna take me months to clean it LOL.

Yes @Red Hering the fish were much deeper Saturday 63-65 ft and laying on bottom. They did start coming up while we were fishing and I heard back later in the evening that the walleye were much higher later in the day.

I am planning for next week and then likely pulling the boat.. Gonna take me months to clean it LOL.
@hvyhaul I remember giving your last fishing post a ? and also seeing your photo’s from that day with the fish down just above the bottom.Maybe waiting till later in the day to go fishing when the fish are much higher,could result in more fish caught when they are more active.Good luck next week fishing,and too bad about you taking a long time to clean your boat from all of that river/lake water after your fishing season is over. Talk later & tight lines!!?????

@Red Hering Your comment about wind speed of less than 15 knots drew my eye. May I ask the size of your boat? I ask because I am new to the Burwell area, in a 15' Legend, and my "comfortable" wind speed is 6 knots or less. Am I being overly cautious or are you in a bigger vessel?
Thanks

@Red Hering Your comment about wind speed of less than 15 knots drew my eye. May I ask the size of your boat? I ask because I am new to the Burwell area, in a 15' Legend, and my "comfortable" wind speed is 6 knots or less. Am I being overly cautious or are you in a bigger vessel?
Thanks
@Skunked2Often I have a 18.5 foot lund tiller boat,E08E318A-42E9-4522-9766-DB5DB46E3011.jpegwhich I know and feel comfortable in. I have been in 16 foot vessel’s & I was being bounced around in up to 15 knot winds,and sometimes even feeling like I was going to be sick :sick: from being in their boat.This time of year because the walleye’s are deep from anywhere up to 65 and even 72 feet of water,about 12 to 15 miles offshore.I wouldn’t venture out in my size boat up to 15 knots,especially this time of year,because of the constant weather changes,and no fish is worth your life,and safety always first!! ?????

Last edited:
We had been catching fish steady in the 65-105 depths the two weeks before so like a dumba$$ I drove right past a ton of marks in 47 Sunday am at daybreak to start in 65. Nothing happening so quickly we pulled lines and moved back in closer. Caught 10 right away on blue and silver RRFs and Wonderbread. Dipseys at 115 and 125 and riggers at 40 and 45. 5 colour and 7 colour leadcores also fired. Same lures. Bite quit and we headed back out to fish we were marking in 80-105. 14 more steady action but 150 on dipseys and 60-65 down on riggers. The overcast had changed by the time we went deeper and we used Antifreeze, Gold/Orange, Blue/Silver RRFs. We were out for 4 hours or so. 70125031_10156719526118940_2117706734226112512_n.jpg

We were fishing yesterday in 80 to 85 FOW, off Maitland is about 6 miles.
Was pretty bunchy yesterday in the morning then settled down later, thinking going again tomorrow taking a couple buds that want some fish, I've almost gave all my fish away to all my buddies at the Legion.(y)
I only keep a few for myself, like how many can anyone eat, there better fresh anyway. (y)

I definitely need to try your method of drifting with harnesses. Catching them on leadcores etc feels like I'm "commercial harvesting" on an assembly line. Maybe with lighter spinning gear there would be at least some fight to them. And no steelhead or cohos as of late to listen to a drag scream. Ive thought seriously about downsizing my tackle but hard to do other than the rigger rods.

I definitely need to try your method of drifting with harnesses. Catching them on leadcores etc feels like I'm "commercial harvesting" on an assembly line. Maybe with lighter spinning gear there would be at least some fight to them. And no steelhead or cohos as of late to listen to a drag scream. Ive thought seriously about downsizing my tackle but hard to do other than the rigger rods.
It is nice having a lighter spinning rod in hand you feel the hit right away, buddy that was with me was using a 12' noodle rod, thing was bent in half :D :D
We're running lighter braid with a flor leader, the Walleye fought almost like the sheephead.
We may have caught our fish faster using riggers and heavy crap but we want to stay out all day, no fun getting limit in a couple hours. :banghead: (y)
It's good to experiment using different stuff than the same old. (y) :unsure:(y)

Last edited:
Are you using a snap weight to get your depth or an inline sinker between the braid and floro? What size and shape blades? Ive trolled harnesses multiple times with ZERO to show for it. Always figured I was doing something wrong and have stayed almost totally with plugs as a result. Harnesses are a lot easier on the wallet - RRFs cost a lot and most of my chrome ones are not chrome anymore thanks to gator teeth! (thats not a complaint!)

Way to go Dave...I've been wanting to do the drift thing with spinning rods all year..but it's been either to rough or to many boats ?..we got out sunday passed and got a 2 man limit but had to work for them..we weren't getting anything much in 80fow so went shallower into the lower fingers 70fow and then game on..we got out today started lower fingers on the pipeline and punched a 2 man limit within 1.5 hrs...1 nice hog around 7.5.lbs the rest were 3 to 4 range...that dam east wind and waves was a pain ..but we had the lake to ourselves ? not like sunday it was a shit show out there boater etiquette was taking a back seat ?...we call them the gobies bottem feeders ??..well cheers ??IMG_5553.jpg

This is my go to way of trolling.
I use 4 oz weight or 2 oz depending. Good catch and report

Are you using a snap weight to get your depth or an inline sinker between the braid and floro? What size and shape blades? Ive trolled harnesses multiple times with ZERO to show for it. Always figured I was doing something wrong and have stayed almost totally with plugs as a result. Harnesses are a lot easier on the wallet - RRFs cost a lot and most of my chrome ones are not chrome anymore thanks to gator teeth! (thats not a complaint!)
I use a 3 way swivel. Mainline on top, weight on bottom about 18" down from swivel and middle eye for worm harness. #3 blade in Colorado or indiana with 3-5 ft of leader line. Top the hook with a nice fat juicy night crawler from my front lawn. Cant beat it.
Trolled on a back lake in a canoe 2 weeks a go in Minden. Got 5 of 8 lakers
Same setup in a Kawartha lake sunday. musky about 30" and 6-8lbs

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks