Yak Attack!...The Waterfowl Edition. Wed Oct 17

King Joe

Huge winds, snow and ice pellet flurries....periods of sun but basically...and ugly afternoon sums it up.

Hullett Marsh. Good to see that after a 2 year rotation, there is finally enough water in the 1-20 access channel. Enough to float the Yak loaded with decoys. Cruised out to #15 heading on water about 200pm. Tough to get out as wind was dead-straight down the channel into my face....made worse by the ice pellets ricocheting off my face. At 15...was tough to find a sheltered place to set up deeks. Settled in. Small groups of mallards moving around including one that found me interesting...but not enough to want to join.

Breaks of sun were a relief. Finally had a pair of mallards swing through low and dropped my first drake of the season. ITs ON!. Small groups of geese teased me...but found 'real' friends on the other side of the clump of bush I was in. Winds and snow welled up again with a vengeance...and with sun at the horizon (I know, prime time), I had enough for my first day of the season.

There was one other hunter in 'my' section of the marsh and they fired more shots than me (me, 2) and from my stand, I saw a few dropped. As I paddled out, a few ducks were soaring around...and the other shooter was still going. Good for them.

Like Arnie says...."I'll be bach" (misspelled intentionally for effect) ...probably this weekend.

King Joe

Yak Attacked Hullett again yesterday. On water at about 2:00....west winds, strong at times. Rain at times. Went for a cruise around the marsh first to have a look at some of the other stand numbers (nobody in parking lot, nobody in marsh to disturb). Jumped small groups of various species, all dabblers, no divers. Headed and set up at 15 again. Periods of small groups of mostly mallards buzz around...none interested in me.

Had a nice conversation with a drake mallard that dropped in behind me. I quack, he responds. He was close but I couldn't see him through the shrubs. I must have said something he didn't like as he buzzed off.

Evening crept up...and while the wind died mostly...and maybe 40% clear skies....I began pulling dekes....and as it would always seem to be....a group of about 12 geese come in low...and for sure were looking for 'friends'. Me, with my proverbial pants down....could only 'smile and wave boys, smile and wave' (name that movie).

SO, this yak attack....not even raised a gun. My estimation though, no northerners down yet...all local birds still. No big flights or rafts of birds...lots of small groups content on hanging around the marsh.

Soon.

King Joe

Yak Attack Nov 07.

Out to 15 on Hullett yesterday afternoon. On water about 2. West wind that was strong at times. Overcast, some drizzle and minor snow early but nothing through afternoon. Definitely more birds noted than before.

Soon after setting up, had a big flock of about 30 mallards 'tell me' they're interested (they were HIGH and dropped straight down, quacking and chatting). They circled and came into to land. Only about 5 committed a bit beyond the spread and I was going to wait a bit for the big group. Well, they pulled the 5 back up....and while the majority left, the 5 circled and this time, landed even further out. No luck.

As the afternoon progressed, was buzzed by small groups of divers....and mergansers. Had a single black duck come in and immediately cup to the dekes. One in the pot. a period of nothing...then a nice green head did the exact pattern as the black...2 in the pot. As I was working a single mallard hen with the call....I could hear a couple very excited geese....but my focus was on the mallard (whom decided to drop down about 100 yards out)....when the 2 geese buzzed my dekes catching me off guard. They too landed out about 150 yards...and 'talked' to me for some time from out there.

Nothing much as evening went on...still being buzzed by fast fly-byes....but no late evening returns. While 2 down, was a good night overall....a moderate amount of interest to keep me interested....so, good.

King Joe

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks