Wiper out of Pt. Bruce?

macds

Thought it was a real good size white bass, till be got it home and tried to open it up. Had a good look, and referring to an old OOD magazine, realized what we had was a wiper. Anyone else picked one of these beasts up in erie before? Ive never seen one. Fought like a big bass, Initially thought it was a smaller bow that didnt come to top, until we got it in the boat, then we figured it was white bass. We were wrong.

hmmmm never heard of such a thing time to google it??

A bad days fishing better than good days work.

You should freeze and call the MNR to see if they are interested in the fish, the wheatly office does the lake assessment, number is 519-825-4684, quite sure they will be out of office until tues am

Neptune

there was an article in ontario outdoors a while ago about them .
they have been showing up here and there,dont know if they are any good to eat[:I]

Had to look up what a wiper was so here it is

It can be distinguished from the striped bass by broken rather than solid horizontal stripes on the body.

Wipers became part of aquaculture in the United States in the late 1980s. Most producers purchase the fish young (as fry or fingerlings) and raise them in freshwater ponds. Currently about 10 million pounds (4.5 million kg) are produced annually in the United States. Wipers are used both as a gamefish and a food fish.
Most wipers are produced by fertilizing eggs from white bass with sperm from striped bass; the resulting fish are also called "sunshine bass" or "cherokee bass".

Kirk

Didnt get a picture of it before we carved into it, didnt think it was anything strange initially. Its in a bag in the freezer, I will be calling MNR tuesday. The ontario out of doors article popped into my head after discovering the insides were really different. Very dark red meat, and VERY pungent stink. I dont wanna eat it! Ill stick with the eyes :)

Stu

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks