Winterizing for outdoor storage

one.last.cast

This year I need to store my boat outdoors. Other than changing the oil and gear lube on the 4 stroke, what else is needed for outdoor storage? I will also add stabilizer to the gas and run it during the last outing as well as run the non toxic trailer antifeeze through the motor in the driveway vs muffs and the winterizing kit I got through amazon.
1632406351353.png1632406455000.png

Careful with that antifreeze it may not be safe for the rubber parts in your motor . Most of it is alcohol which can destroy rubber and eat paint. You don't need it either. All I do is tilt motor all the way down and it drains just fine 90hp yammie . Check Manufacturers web site for winterizing. Also make sure battery is fully charged . I bought a battery maintainer and plug it in once a month over night. 2 years of leaving battery in boat and tilting motor down . No issues . I do park on a hill with the plug out to get all the water out of the bottom. Also run bilge and live well pumps to make sure they are dry.

I would not use any antifreeze unless your engine REALLY needs it. Most of 4-stroke do not need any antifreeze. After your last trip, try to drain as much as water as possible, put the boat/trailer for 10-20 minutes on a sloped road (also lower the engine when you do so) so that the water gets out and then get the rest of the water in the rear out with the paper towel or a piece of absorbing cloth. After your last outing with the stabilizer, top up the has to the maximum, lower the engine and you are good to go.

I would also suggest to remove ALL your batteries and charge them over the winter in the basement. Remove also everything that may get stolen such as fish finder and Fish Hawk etc.

P.S. Once you winterize your boat and still would want to get out, PM me (y)

This year I need to store my boat outdoors. Other than changing the oil and gear lube on the 4 stroke, what else is needed for outdoor storage? I will also add stabilizer to the gas and run it during the last outing as well as run the non toxic trailer antifeeze through the motor in the driveway vs muffs and the winterizing kit I got through amazon.
View attachment 50158View attachment 50159
I also take the plugs out and spray fogging oil (storage seal) into each cylinder port for 5 seconds. Put plugs back just loosely and crank the motor over for a couple of seconds to distribute well in the cylinders then tighten plugs back up for storage. When engines sit by 30 days all the oil has drained down leaving the cylinders unprotected and open to corrosion. I've been doing this forever it seems to every gas motor whether in the boat, lawn mowers, snow blower or whatever and never have motor problems.

probably not interested..
for outside I suggest shrink wrap..keeps your boat & engine good and sealed..

I took care of that one stored indoors..85 wilker galaxie 17 fibreglass hull
sold it to an owen sound fisherman march 2020..
he loves the boat..ya its wilker country up there..

2014 photos 012.JPG

Thanks for the tip everyone. Other years I park in my father in laws garage but he sold the house. I bought a water proof cover. Shrink wrap is nice but too expensive for only a few months of storage. I plan on fishing until end of October and back out on the water in March. I don't think I will use the anti freeze. I will lower the motor to allow for the water to drain out. There is a big hill by my house I will drive up with the drain plug out to get the water out of the hull. Great idea to pull the plugs and fog the cylinders.

It was recommended to me a few years ago to push antifreeze through all livewell plumbing systems to make sure there is no water collecting in a low spot in the lines. Cheap insurance to make sure a line doesn't get an ice block and crack, which would only be identifiable next spring as the boat took on water through the lines. Came from the voice of experience.

My owners manual has a list of other places to lube (steering, rams for trim, prop shaft etc) that I will do, as well as replacing fuel filters. Youtube was a good source of info on how to do a complete winterisation for my specific motors, published by the manufacturer.

your purchase of a water proof cover for your boat is a good investment

winterizing storage time is a good time to do your annual engine maintainance. years ago I started by reading the owners manuals.
And just to share I learned to change the fuel filter annually as well. That way I am also draining the gas out of the line. On my honda carb I remove the drain screw and drain the little bit of gas out as well. Every trip back to the dock I pull the line at the tank just before I arrive and I burn all the fuel until it stalls. Next trip I am always starting with fresh fuel. I use Shell gold at my local gas station and its been reliable & dependable fuel.

Mick, my marine business never made any money off of people like you however, it was always a breath of fresh air when we saw people taking such diligent care of their recreational investments....and actually reading their manual.👍👍
Good on ya Mick!

DONT park a trailer and boat in long grass (or on longer wet grass for that matter). Friggin rots and rusts the hell out of anything on it or above it! Buddy’s older trailer wasted away in no time in long grass..

Computer keyboard duster canister on board from October till stored and blast it down the impeller pee hole every time you take boat out of water. When putting her to sleep then tip engine down on hill to drain and hit pee hole with air compressor. Fog it, stabilize fuel and don't forget your list of things you never got to around to this year to get working on come spring time. Oh and mouse stick pads to keep them buggers at bay

I do:

Clean boat in and out
Lower units
4 stroke kicker oil change
Stabilize gas, change H2O filter and run motors
Fog motors
Grease all points
Antifreeze livewell systems
Drain bilge (reverse flow flapper)
New this year, antifreeze wash pump system
Remove electronics, riggers, tackle, rods, batteries, life jackets, spare parts/small batteries (all go inside)
Leave all compartments open
Wash and store canvases

Wrapped it last year but not pleased with the job, structure damaged over winter, likely build proper wood frame and tarp it myself.

Stores in my driveway now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks