Will there be ice fishing in the bay this year?

Will there be ice fishing in the bay this year?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Yes but only in the cooler in the boat

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Can't wait to use my cordless drill attachment Auger this year I had a gas power and got rid of it.
I used to piss people off drilling holes on the lake making so much noise.:banghead::banghead:😤😤😀

my differential lock combined with 4X4 field tested several times in deep snow...and thats with my girlfriend on the back..mind you i keep the throttle humming along with plenty of power..

have to be very careful with chains.. right size & fit matters..and run them at low speed..

Hey @DaveJ What powerhead on the mora 8 inch augar

I see cabelas has a gaspowered eskimo augar reasonably priced..
5 year warranty with good reviews...
the 8 inch size weighs 32 lbs

View attachment 35202
Yeah chains are not for sissies. You gotta get them on right and tight, no loose ends...thats like a chainsaw blade on a wheel. Not for speed either..for slow and go. My Kawasaki has locking rear with a bull low gear..with chains its a tank.
Power head is a Tanaka Pro Force TIA 305. Little brutes. Not well known, but we have a Tanaka powerhead at the sugar bush for drilling taps..unstoppable. Mine is probably 30 years old and is bullet proof. All steel gears, simple design, low HP with low gearing= pocket rocket. Only prob is if you need replacement parts they can be a bit of a hassle to find...but I have never needed anything. Original blade is the Nils design..great when sharp but need to take it to someone that can sharped Nils blades...thus adapting it to a Mora auger/blade setup

ya fishfarmer...the gas powered augars I heard on the lakes are way to loud..they do make a nice hole..iam not interested in one..
thats quit the modified augar DaveJ...
ya I need to go thru my ice fishin gear and check my blades...I am almost sure I need a new set and start with a new set..and I need to find & get a cover to that stays on..

Last year on Simcoe with the variable weather an old beater sled was a better option that a Wheeler if you're crossing pressure cracks, which there seemed to be a lot of on the west side at least. Can skip across sketchy spots on a sled, not so much on a 4 wheeler, chains or not.

If you already have a 20V high output drill, I got an Eskimo pistol bit drill auger last year, wouldn't go back to hand bombing. Never went through a whole battery in a day of fishing.

LSC ice can be really dangerous with the past mild winters..walking off bayfront in the NE and fishin panfish has been the only safest oppurtunity...
St. Lukes ice has been iffy and the only offshore ice fishin and just for a short window..
its been many years since we fished off the south shore. where the good fishin use to be...
Thames river ice fishin..praires siding down to Jeannettes creek use to be good for pickeral..even with safe ice I say its tough fishin..

Well I pre booked a hut for early February 🤞
We like to get out and enjoy a day whether it’s cloudy with a chance of limits, or sunny with a chance of being skunked.

I’ve lived in port Rowan for 41 years only 3 times in my life has there been no ice fishing season , once when I was about 10 , once when I was in high school and last year , never have we gone 2 years in a row without s season, I’m confident, there will be a season this year
That's what I want to hear!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks