Why Support Delta Waterfowl?

Tundra Swan

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Anybody who would like to have more ducks over their decoys this fall and more ducks over their decoys in the future should invest a few dollars in becoming a Delta Waterfowl member.

Furthermore and perhaps more importantly ... anybody who would like to have a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as well as having the Mute Swan delisted from the List of Protective Species should invest a few dollars in becoming a Delta Waterfowl member.

So what does it really cost for you to become a Delta Waterfowl member?

The basic membership starts at $35.00 but you receive a tax receipt for the full amount less the value (base cost not retail value) of the gift (camo cap as an example) received which may be $5.00. In this case (as an example) you would receive a camo cap (base cost of $5.00 but a retail value of at least $10.00 plus taxes) and a tax receipt for the balance of $30.00 as well as five (5) exceptional issues of the Delta Magazine including a special "Hunt Issue". Now consider the value of those exceptional magazines for a moment because they did not cost you the balance of $30.00 from your basic $35.00 membership donation.

The federal government provides you with a 29% tax credit and the provincial government provides you with a 11% tax credit (total of 40% ) against that $30.00 regardless of your taxable income (see note below) so you will receive an income tax deduction of $12.00. So after considering your $12.00 income tax deduction your Delta Waterfowl membership will only cost you $18.00 (out of pocket) ... perhaps only the cost of a box of shells ... a cheap box of shells.

Note: The tax savings described above are based upon your total annual donations to all Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) registered charitable organizations (including your religious affiliation) exceeding $200.00 since the first $200.00 of donations receive a slightly lower tax credit.

So consider if $18.00 per year is worth five (5) exceptional issues of the Delta Magazine, more ducks over your decoys every year and additional hunting opportunities for Sandhill Cranes as well as Tundra Swans with Mute Swans being an extra bonus to hunt.

Thank you for supporting Delta Waterfowl and our initiatives.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS Please read the following post regarding a Sandhill Crane season which I posted on a Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" thread regarding a Sandhill Crane season.

Last edited:
Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

A representative of Delta Waterfowl contacted me early in June of 2018 to inquire if we could meet to discuss my previous offer to financially support a Delta Waterfowl survey of its members in the Province of Ontario regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

During that meeting we agreed that a potential Sandhill Crane season and the delisting of the Mute Swan from the List of Protective Species would be included in the survey along with a few other waterfowl related issues.

Delta Waterfowl eventually conducted two (2) waterfowl surveys ... one survey "on line" of its members as well as one survey by "Facebook" of non-members in the Province of Ontario during the fall of 2018. These surveys indicated a strong support for a Sandhill Crane season, delisting of the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in that order ... on both surveys. However all three (3) options were just a few percentage points apart with support for all three (3) options slightly higher with the non-members who were overall a bit younger than the members ... an interesting point.

I provided the results of these two (2) waterfowl surveys to Mr. Toby Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk) who was also the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry in the spring of 2019. Mr. Toby Barrett subsequently met with the Hon. John Yakabuski (Minister, MNRF) to discuss the results of both waterfowl surveys.

Delta Waterfowl provided the results of both waterfowl surveys to the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) later in 2019 for their due consideration since the CWS hunting regulations were to be reviewed in the fall of 2019.

Although the OFAH apparently supported a Sandhill Crane season as well as the delisting of the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species the CWS apparently was not prepared to proceed with these proposals at that time.

My suggestion to anyone and everyone who would like to have any one of these three (3) proposals implemented in the Province of Ontario would be to join Delta Waterfowl as well as the OFAH if you are not already a member of both organizations and express your support for all three (3) proposals since they are all related ... see note below.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I suspect the reason why a Sandhill Crane season received more support than a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season is because the respondents may have thought that a Sandhill Crane season would include a "bag limit" of a few birds per day throughout the season and this cannot happen due to the population dynamics. We are only looking at a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season ... unfortunately this was not stated in the surveys. However one jurisdiction in the United States issues fewer Sandhill Crane permits (300) to its hunters but each permit allows that hunter to harvest three (3) Sandhill Cranes during the season.

Thanks for the reminder Jerome ! Sure do miss going to the Delta Waterfowl Dinner. Lets not forget all the other organizations that promote and protect our hunting and fishing activities like ; DU Canada, OFAH, LPWA, NWTF, LPAF&GC, LPBAA, CNFA just to name a few.

Hello OCLP,

All of those organizations are worthwhile supporting and I do except for the NWTF (did in the past) since I do not hunt turkeys anymore. I do not recognize the "CNFA" ... who are they?

Unfortunately none of those other organizations support "waterfowl" hunting and you know why they do not ... because the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans. If they do not support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season then they do not support "waterfowl" hunting. I will continue supporting these organization in spite of their failure (as that is what it is) to support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I will probably receive some "hate mail" for my comments and so be it ... have grown used to it by now. I am now enjoying a wonderful partnership with Delta Waterfowl as well as having previously received support from the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation and the Manitoba Wildlife Federation. I have even received support from Nunavut to hunt Tundra Swans up there ... it is coming ... it is just a matter of time.

By the way the charitable "waterfowl" foundation that I established in 2010 is doing fine financially with $43,000.00 worth of grants having been distributed as of the beginning of this year.

Jerome

CFNA Canadian National Firearms Assoc.

I've been a member of Delta Waterfowl for a long time and they will be getting their cheque in the mail like the other associations that I choose to support due to my varied interests.

Again...thanks for the reminder and your efforts in expanding our hunting experience.

Hello OCLP,

I thought that may have been what is was but I did not think that you were into that type of sport shooting. I have considered joining that organization out in Alberta in the past but thought that it was just the National Firearms Association. Thanks for the correction.

Jerome

LoL ! I like guns, guns make hunting so much easier. Heck... I have a hard time hitting one duck with 3 shots and wouldn't stand a chance using a bow or spear or even a sling shot.

Question;
When we do finally get to hunt Tundra Swans what type/size of steel shot would you recommend ?
Would certain type/size be part of the Tag/Permit much like for Turkey hunting ?

Hello OCLP,

If you are restricting your question to steel shot only then I would think that a 12 ga 3 in BB steel shot would be the minimum for a "close range" shot over decoys and preferably the same with BBB steel shot for a "mid range" passing shot. However when the time does come to hunt Tundra Swans (and it will) I will probably use a 12 ga 3 in #1 tungsten matrix shot.

Speaking of decoys ... you may want to start "collecting" your Tundra Swan decoys now. There are currently two (2) suppliers of Tundra Swan decoys ... Classic Decoys (most of what I now have) makes an "aqua vac" two piece floater/field decoy in white plastic which is a good quality decoy and Higdon Decoys (already have a few of them) apparently just came out (in the last year or so) with an "aqua vac" two piece floater/field decoy in light tan plastic that is painted white which may be slightly better but definitely more expensive than the first decoy mentioned.

If you hunt divers (especially Canvasbacks) then the Tundra Swan decoys could be used as confidence decoys ... will be using them with my new aluminum layout boat that Duck Water Boats has built for me but has to wait for the border to open before delivering it to me.

Jerome

PS I doubt that there would be a shot size restriction for Tundra Swans since you could use large steel shot or smaller tungsten shot ... your choice.

PS I understand that BBB steel shot is the standard for Tundra Swans by American waterfowlers if they are using steel shot.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I read with interest Scott McGuigan's recent letter and the "Delta HunteR3 Status Update" that I received earlier this week.

I noticed the part on page 4 that specifically stated "to recruit, retain and reactivate waterfowl hunters by expanding hunting opportunities through advocacy and policy work" regarding the "defending the hunt" initiative. The new Sandhill Crane season in Alberta was mentioned as an example of Delta's ongoing advocacy work in Canada ... well done.

I am looking forward to the day that a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario is mentioned as an example of Delta's ongoing advocacy work in Canada ... keep up the good work.

Jerome

PS Scott McGuigan is the Delta Waterfowl Development Director for Alberta and Ontario. Jim Fisher is the Delta Waterfowl Director for Conservation Policy in Canada.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks