Where have all the Lake Erie smelts gone in the spring?

Bassassin

I know the commercial guys hauled a good amount of Smelts this summer, I've seen the nets full. There are days the surface is littered with them in the summer, so I know we still have them. My Winternet question is where have they all been in the spring. Even when I came out here in 96' you could fill a bucket full in one swipe on the creek mouth in Selkirk. Haven't seen or heard of any spring runs for years. Do you guys west of here get any in the spring?

I've been getting a few when I'm dipping for emerald shiners down at Pt Bruce. I've had a few evenings where I would get enough for a feed ( a small feed though....)

WR

Same, although I've hardly got enough for a feed over an entire spring of dip netting. Don't even see too many washing up against the pier anymore.

we witnessed the smelt run in and erie trib on the south side of erie erie pen they . belive it or not were using small tear drop jigs off n a bridge and catching super size rainbow smelts one chap had a bucket full

doesn't it have something to do with water clarity, light penetration and the fact that zebra mussels cleared up the water so now they spawn deeper then they used to because the moon's light penetrates further?

I've read the article concerning the diminishing numbers. I've seen nets overflowing this past summer on the elbow while Walleye hunting. Maybe they weren't smelts, sure looked like them and Mr. Richard M.a that ran a fleet of fishing boats out of Nanticoke said they were, who am I to argue. They are out there so I don't know about extinction, the theory of @Bucketsoff as far as them spawning in other than creeks is something to consider. But I know they are still in the lake.

let me check with the boys at dover and ill ask my betterhalfs brothers better half she works for CCIW and does a lot of testing across the great lakes

You can buy them fresh in the spring from independant in Delhi... Cheap and already cleaned... ;)

From what I have heard, it is the zebra muscles that changed the smelts breeding habits. I'm not sure it is true but as others have said there are fishing boats out there fishing for them all summer.
Don

From what I have heard, it is the zebra muscles that changed the smelts breeding habits. I'm not sure it is true but as others have said there are fishing boats out there fishing for them all summer.
Don
How would you fish for them? Serious question.

myself and a buddy ice fish for them on the eastern end of lake erie, I will have to ask him the name of the marina we go out of. Any how we catch a pile of them and we use maggots for bait and they are at the top of the holes only about two feet under the ice. Hope this helps

Had a conversation with my girlfriends brothers girlfriend , not second cousin sisters, brothers aunt who's my brother but was my sister before the operation, lmao had to be said . ne ways she works at CCIW ( Canadian Center for inland waters), they have been sampling smelt for years along with lake trout on an annual basis. They have not found smelts in the usual spots for a few years.

She travels all of the Great Lakes on a yearly basis for sampling and testing , they recently had new nets built 1/4" 1/2" 3/4" custom made out here on lake erie as they are now finding the smelt in 60 mtr of water as opposed to the shallower waters .

her explanation to this is as stated previously, that water clarity( zebra mussels) and temp of water rising due to clarity and penetration of sunlight, this is not a climate change but a change in the water . the smelts are looking for certain temperatures for breeding feeding and following their bait and staples. their decline are also attributed to the increase of predators in the food chain which has not put them in extinction but rather put them in check. not like when we were kids living on Lake Ontario and in the spring, Burlington would be minging of smelt and ale wife along the shore of the beach. the introduction of salmon definitely had an impact on this .

so thats the scientist answers on this ,

cheers chefboyardee

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks