Where do the lake erie pickerel go

j-man

Just wondering.....Where do the pickerel go when the leave the bruce , burwell area[?]
Just want to do a bit of fall pickerel fishing and dont know where to go[?]

They go to the west end of the lake where they over-winter and are then there in early spring to spawn. Some also go up the Detroit River to L. Saint Clair.

I forget the name of the big river in the US where they go to spawn. guys were fishing right into November there.

I'd like to extend an open invitation to any of those Pickerel... I still have some room in my freezer!!! lol .:D

quote:
Originally posted by onmedic

I forget the name of the big river in the US where they go to spawn. guys were fishing right into November there.

Walleye run
According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the annual walleye run up the Maumee River is one of the largest migrations of riverbound walleyes east of the Mississippi. The migration of the walleye normally starts in early March and runs through the end of April. Although the first week of April is "historically" the peak of the migration, Mother Nature normally dictates when the actual peak takes place. When river flows rise due to snow melt-off and the river water temperature reaches 40 - 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the resident population of walleyes welcome their relatives from the Western end of Lake Erie's waters and also from the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair in Michigan. Although you will see boats on the river during the spring migration, by far the most popular method of fishing for these walleye is by wading out into the river and casting.

Don't forget the Raisin Rvr in southern Michigan.You will see the wader fisherman on the Maumee Rvr, not the Detroit though.

Big Rod
<'[[[[[[><
www.bigrodsguideservice.ca

I was pretty close to wading the Detroit there Big Rod... until you pulled me back in the boat :D.

quote:
Originally posted by big rod

Don't forget the Raisin Rvr in southern Michigan.You will see the wader fisherman on the Maumee Rvr, not the Detroit though.

Big Rod
<'[[[[[[><

Stomp i am laughing:Dthat was a good one.Looking forward to fishing with you and Gomer in 2012.

Big Rod
<'[[[[[[><

Reserve a day for us in April Chip; we'll be back. Hopefully we get a better April/May next year (don't think it could be worse than this year's weather). Maybe you could install seatbelts over the winter, just in case I feel the urge to jump again...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks