Off Topic When/How to introduce little ones

Minnownite

I think I'm getting ahead of myself but I would like to get my boys into fishing as soon as I can. They're just over 2 years now. With Christmas around the corner... How do you get them started? At what age do you get them started? I'm really looking forward to them being able to come out with me! Thanks guys

I am in the same situation, although mine is a grandson. I would think that maybe by the summer I may take my grandson down to the dock at Port Rowan and do some dock fishing first. If he gets bored then at least there is a playground that we go over to. Out on the boat... I think I would be waiting till they are 5-6 years. I know it is a lifetime but I don't think they would get anything out of it before then. Every kid is different I realize... but too soon could give a bad taste if he gets seasick.

I don't remember exactly the timelines for all of my kids (I had kids before I bought my first boat), but I bought an infant PFD, and my youngest was definitely on the boat by 5 months old. That said, she didn't catch her first fish until she was 2.

Is there a reason to wait/exclude them?

Start them off with a magnet fishing set @Minnownite I'm pretty sure most of us started off with something of that nature, I know for myself my dad and grandfather got me into this disease at an early age (approx 2yrs old) sitting in canoes and even out on the great lakes with grandpa chasing walleye and salmon on Huron and I never looked back! I'm hooked for life??

With my kids, I started them young, about 2 and 4. I also took them to streams and ponds where they almost had to catch something. If they catch nothing, they lose interest very quickly. I remember ! particular trip around Orillia. We stayed on the lake and there was a small dock and had 1 kid on each corner. There were so many sunfish I could hardly keep worms on the hooks. We never looked back. They are now in their 40's and still love fishing.

My little guy turned 2 this year and gave him one of my ice fishing rods to use when we all go to a local pond to catch pan fish. I would cast out the bobber and he would reel it in constantly, worked with him on waiting for the bobber to go under then start reeling. Didn't take long for him to catch fish and get hooked on it, while camping he woke up at 6 am and told my wife "catch fish now" while I was out on the boat so she took him to the dock. He now sleeps with a largemouth stuffed toy from basspro too lol theyre never to young

My dad taught me to fish and I caught my first fish, a sucker, in catfish creek across from NEM when I was 4 and I've been fishing ever since. I taught my kids how to fish when they were 4 and although my son drives me nuts when we do go, (he's 27 now and still doesn't have the patience required) he still likes going. My daughter used to bring a book and ignore her line completely, but she'd catch fish. If they can hold the rod and reel a fish in (with help if necessary) let'em fish. The more they do it, especially if they're catching something, the more likely they will be to continue fishing as teens and adults.

Awesome responses guys! I was thinking of the Ice rod idea @wknd_warriors so i might just do that. Practice at a local pond or something in the spring. They love going on the boat so ill try to do that more this year. Really lookingforward to the new fishing buddies!

Attachments

• boys.jpg
    boys.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Keep the trips short and fun. Bring lots of snacks and drinks. Even if you are catching lots of fish keep the trip short. Many potential fishermen have been ruined by long boring trips. I started my boys at a small creek and stocked pond.
30 minutes....catch some fish....drink some Dr Pepper and head home. Take lots of pictures to show mom. Also make sure they wear a life vest anytime they are near water. It’s a great habit for them to develop. My boys are both teenagers now and love fishing (and hunting).

Agree, keep it fun and short. Even if you are onto the fish and they loose intererest ,or ask to leave, head in. I made that mistake with my son, 6 hour trips on lake erie when he wanted to go in after 3 turned him off fishing completely. I really kick myself for that.

My kids were no older then yours and I bought them little dinosaur push button rods as part of their Christmas gifts. They would practice casting into the non-working fireplace when they felt like it over the winter. Next spring a cottage rental on Pigeon lake with lots of crappy, sunfish, etc., and the odd bass off the dock to cause mayhem for them. They were hooked for life so easy boat fishing for pannies and rockies and trips to Kelso for a couple hours did the job. Now 26 & 27 year old girls they still enjoy going out for Bass on a small lake much more then trolling.

Give them one of the kid themed spincast combos as soon as they're old enough to walk with it. Tie a little toy on the line as the lure and let them play. Crane, air bombing, and bowling are fun games to develop casting skills.

My 6 year old now uses spinning gear and is better than many adults. The 4 year old isn't far behind.

Two is old enough. Stick to places that are loaded with sunfish and sight fishing is strongly preferred. Don't forget the bucket to play with the fish.

Last edited:
My hats off to everyone of you Dad's...you are all correct start early, make it interesting, pack snacks if it is slow and get ready when the pan fish hit cause your going to be a worm baiting machine for a bit. Question here is how to get other Dad's and Mom's interested that maybe don't fish or haven't for a while. LPBAA and other like groups are depending on a new generation to come forth and take up the challenge to continue our conservation efforts and to partake in this sport we call fishing, I truly hope some hear the "call" and decide that this is not only a pass time but a passion and an enjoyment of our sportsmen heritage.
Fingers crossed.....DOTCOM

I think I'm getting ahead of myself but I would like to get my boys into fishing as soon as I can. They're just over 2 years now. With Christmas around the corner... How do you get them started? At what age do you get them started? I'm really looking forward to them being able to come out with me! Thanks guys
I started my granddaughter last year at 2 she turned 3 this part March and all she talks about is the boat and fishing ? she’s going to love it like her grandmother. We started her at pittock nice and calm easy to catch fish.

I had to think and do a little research on this one. :unsure:

My folks had a cottage on Lake of Bays back when the Mrs and I were starting our family, so as long as they still owned it, the kids were on the dock/in a boat with a fishing rod as soon as they were able. ?‍?‍?‍???‍♂️

The nearest MickeeD's to us in Oakville (30yrs ago) ran a "father and son fishing outfit" contest, that's right, McDonald's, which my son happened to win. ?

He didn't enter it. He was only 2 at the time. My wife did and put his name on the ballot. It was funny listening to her explain to them he was only two and couldn't come to the phone when they called. ??

The answer...... early, as soon as they show an interest. :)

I tried to get my eldest grandson (7) on the boat this year but his baseball and weather didn't work.

Next year for sure and maybe the next one (3) down too.

Last edited:
I don’t remember my first time fishing just like I don’t remember my first time walking. Started very young.

I had a conversation with my niece a while back. (just remembered it) She was saying some of her and her brothers' (plural) fondest memories were fishing on the dock at grandma's and grampa's cottage with Uncle "".

Apparently, what I thought was just an obvious thing to do at the cottage, was a very powerful moment in their lives.

my sister and I were started early (don't remember the age) by my dad---he would take us down to the Grand River, cut a couple of willow branches for poles, string ,hook, and dew worms. had a ball with suckers etc. been a pastime I would be lost without as I near my '80's.

I have three young boys and I started all of them on the boat when they were 3. Definitely make it fun with snacks etc. The key is only go out for short amount of time. When they get bored turn around and head back. We would stop on the way home for ice cream or go to a local park. My boys are now 6 and 8 and they love going fishing and hunting. Good luck!

Attachments

• EDB4A2B6-093F-4CF6-8CDC-9DC8FA22FCFD.jpeg
    EDB4A2B6-093F-4CF6-8CDC-9DC8FA22FCFD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 9EEB305F-9552-402D-AB3F-AC4DFC72FCEA.jpeg
    9EEB305F-9552-402D-AB3F-AC4DFC72FCEA.jpeg
    793.3 KB · Views: 24
  • E557CA73-189D-4E27-A1B5-23494DFAE7F1.jpeg
    E557CA73-189D-4E27-A1B5-23494DFAE7F1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • EEC91B16-4260-4EC6-B7B5-16CB13250AC9.jpeg
    EEC91B16-4260-4EC6-B7B5-16CB13250AC9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • B0739B6F-2D96-46B4-8498-2A70DE7B7171.jpeg
    B0739B6F-2D96-46B4-8498-2A70DE7B7171.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks