Off Topic When/How to introduce little ones

Make sure when you take them that you remember the trip is for THEM! If they last 5 minutes or 5 hours make sure you make it enjoyable for them. Both of mine now 18 and 15 will go fishing or hunting with me but I never made them do it when they were young. If they got cold or bored we left, it will pay off down the road because they will remember the good times and not the freezing or standing around not catching anything.

The first time I took my daughter fishing we were hoping for perch off of the pier in Dover, she was 2 or 3. I put on a pickerel rig for her, baited both hooks and cast it out. As I was getting my rod together she kept reeling hers in with a big smile saying she had a fish, which she didn't and I would have to stop what I was doing and re-cast. After a few frustrating tries at this I raised my voice and told her to leave it in the water. When my rod was ready I looked over and she was staring at me ready to cry, she managed to squeak out a sobby "dad, I really have one" as she was gripping a bent over rod afraid to reel it in. She caught her first little perch and I learned that the trip was for her and not for me. I still have the picture of her holding that little dink with a smile from ear to ear. Now at 18 I can still manage to get her on the boat with me a few times a year. Of course now I enjoy the time with her more that she enjoys fishing with me.

I didn't make the mistake of making my son's first experience being me raising my voice at him. We fished until he got bored and we called it a day. Now at 15 he is up most days before me fishing at the river he loves it so much.

My hope is that they both have enough of a love for hunting and fishing that they will make sure I can get out when my body makes it difficult. My answer to your question is if you feel they are old enough, get them out there but make sure it is enjoyable for them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks