What decoys to start season with

Joel

Hello first season duck hunting for me. I will be hunting in Rondeau Bay only. I have purchased some decoys over winter. Mostly Mallards. I am going to get some more. Question what should I get to start season. I will only be hunting month of October. Thanks

Some Woodies for sure ! Widgeon(Baldpates) and Ringnecks(Blackjacks) wouldn't hurt in October, 1/2 dozen of each . End of October the Redheads start showing up and the Canvasbacks are right behind them but you are going to need dozens of them. I put out some Blue Wing Teal in the first week but those birds migrate through early depending on the weather; seems they don't like chilly temperatures.

Mallards are very good general purpose decoys. If you are in the right spot and well hidden almost all puddle ducks will come to them. You don’t mention a motion decoy. If you don’t have one of those I would invest in that before a lot of other species. I always mix my spread up but I have too many decoys. It happens when you have been at the game for five decades 😉

Hello Mooner,

Priceless ... or ... you need a second boat, third boat and a bigger garage to house them all.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks