Off Topic What a rip

Richardscott999

I have a new helix to mount and I read the posts on the site and decided on the ram mount with the swing arm. It had good feedback so what the hell. Went on their website and ordered. Did not mind the $62 price and the $32 shipping cost, even in $US seemed ok. Maybe a total of $110 CAD with exchange. Got a notice from UPS today and addition $55 CAD for brokerage, HST, US tax, and import fees. So now I am near $165 CAD for a $62 mount. No way what a rip, put it on the website and I will be informed up front and choose another option. So I called Rammount, got a human (first miracle) explained the situation and they said refuse delivery and we will refund 100% when it is returned, and by the way you can get the mount in Canada at radioworld.ca. Looked it up and yeah there it is as bold as you please for $66 CAD. Even with tax and delivery I am way ahead buying in Canada. But of course it is on back order. I am a relative newbie to online purchases but man o man buyer beware. Rant ends.

Rick

I can understand your frustration, only usps shipping when ordering usa items , but you really have to look around to find a savings anymore.

gpscity.ca is a good source for ram items and a few others with very reasonable shipping .

Use the US postal service. Avoid UPS at all costs... lol they will kill you on the charges.

hey @14ft_boat its nice to hear sail has now offered shipping...and its free? I remember the cambridge manager store explaining to me a while ago they were making changes eventually offering shipping options...

hey @14ft_boat its nice to hear sail has now offered shipping...and its free? I remember the cambridge manager store explaining to me a while ago they were making changes eventually offering shipping options...

It's free on orders over $49, and they ship it fast. Plus they often have 15%-20% off fishing stuff. Sail is my favorite fishing store along with Natural Sports in Kitchener (for float fishing).

As some others have stated you have to use USPS, it switches to Canada post at the border. They charge a flat rate $5 fee regardless of package value etc. I remember learning this painful lesson ordering a clearance pack from Blackhawk tactical back in early 2000’s......was couple hundred on sale for 69$..... fu*king ups shows up at my door with a duty/brokerage COD slip worth more then what the backpack was worth on sale!! I sent it back and was out 20$ for a “restocking” fee. Never again. If company’s won’t use the usps, just ship to SCC in porthuron and drive down to get your stuff. Love that place.

Always specify USPS when ordering from the States. All the major couriers have their own Brokerages for clearance and its a license to print money.....

You are not alone....we have all made that one I think. If a US vendor only ships by UPS, I shop elsewhere.

I always try to buy locally but when unable I do order stuff from USA. I always check if they use Global Shipping Program (GSP) or also known as International Priority Shipping which was created to simplify the process of selling internationally. It's an easy, one-step global shipping program where the seller is completely removed from the hassle of managing customs forms, calculating import charges, and arranging global logistics. It gives you up front your exact cost with all shipping charges whether USPS or courier, duty or import taxes are also shown if applicable so you know exactly what your paying.

Last edited:
Came very close a number of years back.

Inquired about something for my smoker from Georgia, $17 compared to $70+ here.

Everything was good until they fortunately informed me before finishing the transaction that they only ship DHL no exceptions.

$96 dollars to ship a $17 item, all US$.

Needless to say, I bought local.

Canada posts brokerage fee is 9.95, hasn't changed in many years and it can be very hit an miss, but if you just shop with that in mind, that 9.95 plus our taxes is the most you can or cannot pay depending on the mailman's or mailwoman's brokerage bosses on the day of sorting.

Nice to see you supporting the American economy at your own expense. Myself I'll keep supporting local tackle shops.

Nice to see you supporting the American economy at your own expense. Myself I'll keep supporting local tackle shops.
@JHM appreciate your judgemental feedback on my post because that what this forum is all about right, not. I had made a mistake and wanted to highlight the cost of this kind of purchases so perhaps others could avoid them cause that’s the kind of guy I am. I did refuse delivery and bought at sail.

I work in a business where we see more and more pressure from offshore, I know the value and importance of buying local. And I am not so stupid as to knowing buy a higher priced product from the us than is available locally, knowingly is the operative word.

I try and live by the adage “ do on to others.........”

I bought a new Ram Mount cell phone holder for the boat last year and it was missing the little rubber ends that have to be crazy glued on to the 4 metal prongs. I inquired to Ram (US) on line about where I could buy them and then sent me a set no charge that arrived in a week. Excellent customer service.
I have been buying and using the larger Ram mounts for my GPS system on tractors, smaller ones for ATV and truck etc for a number of years, and can usually get orphaned or used parts from Angling Outfitters in Woodstock at reasonable prices. Ask Monty where the used stuff is. (another place with excellent customer service)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks