Well... the Fat Lady dun sing her song !

Old Cut LongPointer

At least for this years Spring Turkey Hunt !
I was laid up with a bad back since the end of April but actually made it out for the last day. Saw some deer and had a Hen come to visit me but that was it.... sigh. The daytime heat was brutal and thought maybe I could sneek out for the last 2 hours but life gets in the way and here I am rubbing Rum into the wound. LoL ! At least there are still coyotes to shoot and sitting up in a deer stand is cooler and a lot less bugs.

I only ended up going out once.. ended up fishing on my spare time instead lol
Wasn’t many turkeys around the farm this spring.. but there was also no food for them at the farm we hunt this year.
Always next year! I don’t bother targeting them in the fall

Yup, tag soup for me.

I have a 13 year old son. He isn't hard to get out of bed but momma doesn't like him getting up at 5am so we only went out a couple of times. I don't like hunting in the afternoon when nothing is gobbling, and neither does he. I didn't want to go out by myself and kill the only gobbler on the property. Oh well, there's always next year.

At least the Tags now boil down to a mush not like the old plastic ones, they were hard to digest. I didn't hear many shots fired this year where I am, especially opening week. Lack of birds or hunters ? Also the birds gobbled a lot at the beginning of the season but quickly went quiet as the temperatures rose; just something I noticed not sure if there's a relation. Could be the Tom's got their harem together and didn't feel the need to sound off ?

Come next April I will be extremely careful about how I pick things up as I don't want to "pop" my back again and miss another season. The physical pain will fade but the mental scar lasts forever.

At least the Tags now boil down to a mush not like the old plastic ones, they were hard to digest. I didn't hear many shots fired this year where I am, especially opening week. Lack of birds or hunters ? Also the birds gobbled a lot at the beginning of the season but quickly went quiet as the temperatures rose; just something I noticed not sure if there's a relation. Could be the Tom's got their harem together and didn't feel the need to sound off ?

Come next April I will be extremely careful about how I pick things up as I don't want to "pop" my back again and miss another season. The physical pain will fade but the mental scar lasts forever.
I hunted for 12 of the first 13 days of the season and probably heard 5-6 shots in two weeks. Seemed like hardly anyone out apart from the opening day zoo. Birds were plentiful this year thanks to the easy winter I presume, and hunter #'s down. Good, more for me LOL. I know how back problems can put you out as my wife has suffered this spring as well, hope you take care of it, physio really helped her even though she wasn't a believer at first.

Soup for me too. I only hunted a couple days..had a lot of hens around, a couple long distant gobblers but nothing that would commit.
Maybe this fall...

I had a good season. Shot my first one on the opener at 11am, and my second one the 3rd week. Crazy temp swings this year. Froze my ass off half the time at daybreak and then nearly got carried off by mosquitos last week. Lots of birds around the areas I hunt in Haldimand. Heard shooting most days but only a shot or two. Anxious to get on the water now.

But I live in farm country and I shot mine in self defence!!

After dislocating my shoulder tripping on something opening morning I lost half the season. Not having the ambition to get up early I did manage a few afternoon hunts but I only ever heard one gobbler and he wouldn't come to me. Oh well at least my arm is strong enough to load the kayak! TC

Not at all ! Glad to hear someone did !

Glad to hear Trky Chsr made it back out, make sure you clear your trail next year !

Hey Chris178 ... physio ? That's a back rub but with no happy ending, right ? LoL !
Ya I don’t know about you but a back rub has not ended in a happy ending in long time. I think there’s a few places in Hamilton but you might not get a doctors referral for those ones.

Hamilton ya say ? Mmmmmm Naaaaa cost too much in gas ! I'll just find a big old gnarly tree and paint my back with Voltaren and go at it like a big old Black bear would.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks