Well,I had to see it for myself,there is definitely “No Ice Fishing Season” on long point bay,this year!! ???

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I took a drive down to long point bay today,and I was totally amazed on how much open water there was in the inner bay of long point off Port Rowan 71DE1361-ACC0-487F-9AD7-D8A759BA5E03.jpeg 430B9249-2EBA-4C56-BC05-A14437209161.jpeg were the many duck’s and a few swans didn’t seem to mind at all.Down the road from there at St.Williams,it was just as bad,with the first time that I have ice fished the inner bay,since the late 70th’s,that there hasn’t been any ice,this time of year!! Both of these businesses, B7AF296A-5290-453B-8259-E8035EE95FAB.jpeg A256ECDD-EC18-4F0D-B385-635BF9F67D78.jpeg would normally be packed with ice fishermen buying their minnows from either one of them,but of course,not this year!! 86003815-BB7A-4F5E-A374-F19CF7D05BCB.jpeg I also took a drive around the old cut area,01955C47-8F23-47C8-A140-4595CB4F675C.jpeg were there was a lot of open water in the boat channels & the boat dock’s,were they had “bubblers” set up,to prevent the boat dock’s from heaving!! The winter this year is very mild,that even the Tundra Swans 429E4090-AB41-4638-9912-B93538565823.jpeg are around in great numbers near the causeway of long point bay.A stop at Port Rowan Harbour before I left the area.57C11CE4-E33C-4C64-9193-265DE681399C.jpeg I then picked up a load of firewood 2853E44C-F6E3-4F69-949A-789D54BC9204.jpeg in the area,before I headed back home to London.Well,now I know for sure,that the ice fishing season will definitely not be happening on long point bay this year & again,it’s too bad!! I guess,a trip up to Lake Simcoe after this long weekend coming up is over,is my next choice,if I am going to be going ice fishing this year. Again,like all of my previous trip’s around long point bay,it was fantastic all around,and I always love coming there!! Tight lines & hopefully Fish ON,soon somewhere,whoever is going out to try their luck,including myself. ? ???

Last edited:
I took a drive down to long point bay today,and I was totally amazed on how much open water there was in the inner bay of long point off Port Rowan View attachment 20659 View attachment 20658 were the many duck’s and a few swans didn’t seem to mind at all.Down the road from there at St.Williams,it was just as bad,with the first time that I have ice fished the inner bay,since the late 70th’s,that there hasn’t been any ice,this time of year!! Both of these businesses, View attachment 20660 View attachment 20661 would normally be packed with ice fishermen buying their minnows from either one of them,but of course,not this year!! View attachment 20662 I also took a drive around the old cut area,View attachment 20665 were there was a lot of open water in the boat channels & the boat dock’s,were they had “bubblers” set up,to prevent the boat dock’s from heaving!! The winter this year is very mild,that even the Tundra Swans View attachment 20666 are around in great numbers near the causeway of long point bay.A stop at Port Rowan Harbour before I left the area.View attachment 20667 I then picked up a load of firewood View attachment 20668 in the area,before I headed back home to London.Well,now I know for sure,that the ice fishing season will definitely not be happening on long point bay this year & again,it’s too bad!! I guess,a trip up to Lake Simcoe after this long weekend coming up is over,is my next choice,if I am going to be going ice fishing this year. Again,like all of my previous trip’s around long point bay,it was fantastic all around,and I always love coming there!! Tight lines & hopefully Fish ON,soon somewhere,whoever is going out to try their luck,including myself. ? ???
Looks like you had a full day of photography and loading your pickup!

Where do you get your wood ?
@Red Fisher at the southwest corner of Highway #59 & 1st Concession Rd,west of Port Rowan.6D438936-CDCF-4286-9691-C0DB0A4D2D3F.jpeg Zoom in the photo,and you can see their prices,for various amount of firewood for sale.They have the “honour” system there to pay,if there is no one around.I know the fellow’s there for year’s,and they are,”great” people!! I find that the firewood around London is much more expensive & garbage wood!! (n) :cautious: I hope this helps @Red Fisher and keep warm,for there is a blast of winter coming back this weekend!! ?7399B737-38C1-439A-94FD-E80C7CDA6BA7.jpeg ??:)

Last edited:
@Red Hering we are off to Parry Sound again. Leaving either Thursday night or Friday morning depending on my snow plowing. The last trip was cut short as I got a call to come home to do snow plowing.

@Red Hering we are off to Parry Sound again. Leaving either Thursday night or Friday morning depending on my snow plowing. The last trip was cut short as I got a call to come home to do snow plowing.
Good luck @Three Bouys!! ?Hopefully you will find the walleye’s this time,and that they will be “extremely” hungry!! Tight lines my friend to you and your son,and walleye’s,ON!! ? ??:cool:

@Red Hering drive your butt up to Barrie Friday night, we got a room booked for the night before. You never know, it could be the last safe ice.....
It sounds very inviting @Extra Virgin but my wife and I plus another couple have already made plans for this friday night.I will pass the long weekend “fiesta” on the ice with a “free fishing license” weekend to the public,and I am being optimistic,that there will still be some late season ice left towards the end of this month on lake simcoe,when then,this retired fisherman will trek up that way. Thanks again for the offer & it’s much appreciated & tight lines to you & whoever else that is going.Give me a text sometime,for I still have some Coors Light beer’s for you,(and me-lol-:ROFLMAO:),in a snowbank in my backyard. Cheers ? my friend,& Be Safe!!???:cool:

Thanks so much for sharing the pics Red Herring , it helped me to start to settle down as I put my ice fishing bucket away. Sob! Wishing you a lot of warmth from that fire wood. Huron.

Thanks so much for sharing the pics Red Herring , it helped me to start to settle down as I put my ice fishing bucket away. Sob! Wishing you a lot of warmth from that fire wood. Huron.
You’re welcome @Huron ? Well,it’s too bad that there wasn’t a ice fishing season on long point bay this year,and I am now thinking that,lake simcoe might be my next lake to try for some ice fishing instead.All of that firewood that I picked up yesterday,should keep me warm till springtime!! All the best & keep warm as well!! ?:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks