Off Topic Water level Inner Bay

I wonder how millionaires was with the water so high, ya it's on stilts but it was high lol. And it disappeared so fast where did it all go who opened the drain lol

If I lived down on The Point I would have my Bug Out Bag packed and ready to go ! History has a way of repeating itself and since settlers arrived two Cuts have been recorded and I would not doubt it has happened before that even. I wonder if the LP Ratepayers and/or First Responders have a plan in place to deal with such an event ?

Ya people seem to forget about why the old lighthouse was put in between the old park and the new park. The point was built by erosion and there isn’t a lot of stability out there. Erosion can take it away just as fast with a good storm again.

Well once upon a time big creek flowed into the lake and not into the bay. It was put into the bay so the logs that were harvested could be stored in the bay until ready to be loaded and cut. Over time the outlet to the lake was blocked or silted in.

Right on Jumbos ! There was a steam powered sawmill where the bridge is now and they would load the wood on barges and park them in channels cut in off of the newly diverted/expanded Big Creek until ready for shipment. I only know of two old growth forests left in Norfolk County of course Backhouse Mill and the Jackson/Gunn Tract out on the Lower Sideroad east of #28.
Thanks for the photos Larry Lloyd !

I bet fishing in the bay would change a lot if the creek flowed into the lake.
I'd bet you'd be right. My guess there'd be a lot more Big Creek smolt rainbows surviving without having to run the gauntlet of the bay past pike, skys, largemouth etc.. to get out to the big water. I've often wondered what the Big Creek delta looked like before Europeans got here. Way lower siltation load, forest cover to hold back runoff, streams you could drink out of...….

There are a couple of British Admiralty Charts made of Long Point from 1837 and 1868 approx. that show the Old and New Cut. Search Archives Canada ? Big Creeks main flow did enter the lake along what is now Hastings Ave. at various points but as deltas go there were other channels which did flow into the Inner Bay. As for the silting in of the Inner Bay we only have ourselves to blame. Between logging and poor farm practices and a bit of Mother Natures help the marshes did what they do best and filter the water hence grew thicker and ponds and channels filled in. Wild rice thrived and help grow the marsh out further into the Bay. Such is not the case for the present time. High water and storms have returned the marsh back to a 50/50 mix of water to vegetation , the wild rice got washed away. We will never see Long Point as pristine as the settlers of circa 1800 did but hopefully learn from our mistakes and become better stewards of what we have left.

There are a couple of British Admiralty Charts made of Long Point from 1837 and 1868 approx. that show the Old and New Cut. Search Archives Canada ? Big Creeks main flow did enter the lake along what is now Hastings Ave. at various points but as deltas go there were other channels which did flow into the Inner Bay. As for the silting in of the Inner Bay we only have ourselves to blame. Between logging and poor farm practices and a bit of Mother Natures help the marshes did what they do best and filter the water hence grew thicker and ponds and channels filled in. Wild rice thrived and help grow the marsh out further into the Bay. Such is not the case for the present time. High water and storms have returned the marsh back to a 50/50 mix of water to vegetation , the wild rice got washed away. We will never see Long Point as pristine as the settlers of circa 1800 did but hopefully learn from our mistakes and become better stewards of what we have left.

This ?

Thanks Jamie ! Never seen that chart before. I will have to dig into their files. That's not the ones I mentioned but very interesting all the same. Looks like a middle map as far as time goes {1849 ? } in regards to when it was made. Also it was commissioned from their War Department ? Mmmmmmm ? WTF ? LoL ! But it does elude to other sources of data so they may well have used the maps/charts made by our guys to polish up their maps/charts. It's possible the USA was given permission to enter our waters for the purpose of updating navigation charts to the benefit of all ? The Army Corp. of Engineers do look after lake levels, building of levees etc. , etc. . Like I said Archives Canada has a wealth of maps/charts. Sorry I don't have a direct link at this time. I admit I'm a computer dummy but if I can find so can everyone else. Try looking under British Admiralty maps/charts ?

Point of interest; Check out Army Corp. Engineers Lake Erie Levels.... interesting ? Pete Overbaugh recanted how back in the Dirty Thirties the water was so low that the shipwrecks stuck up like fence rows down the beach. He was also involved with the planting of dune grasses and pine trees that now stretch from approx. Marina Shores down into the New Park back then. A government project to create work and stabilize the beach.
Also regarding water levels it was recorded that fishermen caught Whitefish in the Inner Bay before the Cut of 1837 happened. Needless to say with the shallowing of the Bay so went the Whitefish.

This ?
I wonder if @packrat remembers how the fishing was off the shore of the "New Channel"?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks