Off Topic VHF radio

proV2025

Hi. Just curious if it's worth while getting a VHF radio or does everyone just communicate using their cell phones between friends? I fished for salmon and bows on Ontario some 30 to 35 years ago, before cell phone proliferation, and there was a lot of chatter on the VHF, including locations and depth, numbers of fish, speeds, lures and colours, etc. This friendly sharing of info helped everyone. I'm fishing Lake Ontario for salmon presently but will be on Lake Erie as soon as Bass opens and the walleye show up. I just need to justify spending the money. I do have a maritime operator's certificate.

Yes wort it! maybe get advise on depth or colours. Probably will get fibbed too as well. Has gotten me a few extra fish and some good hazard warnings from the coast guard. Radio will work when cell doesn't. Might be like belt and suspenders but if you need it the cost won't matter.

Don't quote me, and Im new here, but doesn't the coast guard take 911 calls and relay it over channel 16 to us boaters for assistance unless it's urgent (sinking/medical)? Last summer I heard several CH 16 calls from the coast guard asking for someone to assist with a disabled boat 10KM out of Turkey Point etc...

I think its best practice for everyone to have a radio and have it scanning; when there's trouble we will reel in and come help. 911 will take a while to get to you. My uncle took me out last summer and he never turned on his radio, I thought to my self "what if someone out here needs help".

I purchased this one (below) last year. It's LOUD on max vol, the battery is excellent and I pick up the US coast guard from across the lake. I leave it on tri scan (16/9/68).

Maybe this year I'll have the courage to jump in on some 6-8 chatter. It would be even cooler if I had a 6-8 decal. :unsure:

My iPhone with Rogers has service when I am 15KM out.

P.S. Part of the reason why I just added a kicker motor to my boat is because I am a rookie and because of all the coast guard calls for tow/assistance I heard last summer. 20KM out in a 16' boat with one motor on a lake that eats up cargo ships sounds crazy to me.

Thanks everyone for your input. You've helped me make a serious decision in favour of a radio. I'd gladly help anyone in distress and hope someone does the same for me if needed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks