Vehicle Through the Ice?

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I always thought driving your vehicle on the ice was just asking for trouble so never have. Found this interesting, always wondered how they extract a vehicle that fell through the ice. 😬

Great video, thanks for posting. A little scary watching someone operate a chainsaw with the wrong hand on the throttle, risking his left foot.

@GPS are chainsaws made hand specific?
serious question.
are there left and right handed chainsaws?
or are they like most guns where the lefties are left out?

WOW, Not sure if you guys have ever wore one of these cold water emersion suits they have on, its one thing to put it on and float, a whole other thing to actually work in one.
I had to demonstrate the donning of one to pass my Small Domestic Vessel Safety Course. You can hardly move... these guys are impressive

@Derkd9... Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a left-handed chain saw. Chainsaws are designed for righties and left-handed persons should hold the chain saw in the same manner as a right-handed person would hold it for safety reasons.

Great post wave runner very interesting

Looks like it went down in 3 fow. I saw another once where a gold f250 was recovered from like 80fow and specialized divers had to go down and hook up the winch cables. Similar rig though.

I think it happens because the ice is "thick enough" but then they go to places where it isn't. Also a truck can't step over a pressure crack.

For example, see
The tuck hit a crack that opened up and refroze, so the ice may have been 3 feet thick except where it's new ice may have just frozen overnight. No way you can see and process that while behind the wheel driving.

That's why I would never take anything larger than a ATV/Sled/Golf Cart out on the ice.

@hvyhaul : OK let us hear the story !!!!! This should be good.

LOL, oh it's nothing new really @Red Fisher , it was referenced a while back in a car parking Lake Simcoe thread.

Dragging 135,800 lb. funny looking tankers of gasoline, clear and coloured diesel fuel over a winter road which included crossing water.

No big deal. 🤪;):)

I'll look for a new pic of the units if I can find my truck album. No digital stuff back in those days.

@Red Fisher this is what most of the other drivers and I ran in the ice road. There were a few cabovers but not many. They didn't carry as much product.

All the comforts of home. LOL

lcl224.jpgautocarinside2.jpglcl221.jpg
Doug Grieve​
Chris Hall​
Chris Hall​

I think I remember Chris as a junior driver, never heard of Doug, but I'll give credit although I might actually have them in my own album if I could find it. I certainly have very similar pics.

Sorry @Wave Runner , I'm done now.

I watched this guy go through on Kempenfelt bay, lake Simcoe in '06. The ice had split open down the middle and had just refrozen over that spot. 4-5" good inches on either side, 1-2" over the refrozen area. Guy didn't even bother to scout it. Just drove straight over it and went for a swim.

IMG-20210125-092607.jpg

@hvyhaul : How much fuel did they carry . How much time for round trip ? Did you enjoy that work ? Have you ever dropped through ? If you can't remember that far back believe me I under stand... THX

@Red Fisher Fuel/diesel loads were 49,500 liters and gasoline was 52,000 liters.

There were two parts:

Refinery to New Liskeard

New Liskeard to mine.

I was New Liskeard to the mine, that took 21 hours on a good round and we did 1 a day until we absolutely had to take time (a day) off.

Loved it, but incredibly hard mentally and physically. Learned so much about just what a truck can do on ice/snow.

No never came close to diving, the mine actually closed the road for a while to avoid an incident.

Was funny getting used to a grader pushing snow around and a water truck fixing potholes.

No sand or salt ever used.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks