Using a Bipod

cutty

Has anyone had good results using a Bipod and if so was it a single or a double leg. I had a stroke 2yrs ago and have had trouble with my left hand holding my crossbow or deer rifle up for extended periods. Some even have a triple leg but are around $200. They will work as have seen many hunters using them on Wild TV but most of them get for free or cost. I am looking for the best option out there without breaking the bank.

Use both Bi pod and tripod style sticks . Big thing is to get it setup so you can swing it thru as much of your shooting window as possible and have a good back support to brace yourself , so you are comfortable but have a firm set up . Either bog pod or primos work for me . If you can sit low in your stand , say on a cushion , you could also buy one that extends to 29" or so , with a pivot , such as a Harris and mount it directly on your rifle . That's also provided you are mobile enough to get seated ,either on the ground or in your stand . Guessing the first would give you more options , standing , sitting on a stool or on the ground for that matter . Myself , I wouldn't bother with the mono pod . Although I haven't used one , I see Vangard make shooting sticks also and might be a little cheaper . You can also by cheaper sticks that don't have adjustable legs , but can be raised and lowered , by tipping them back and opening and closing them (to some degree ) and they are lighter to carry , than the previous mentioned .

One point of addition - Check your final zero using the bipod or sticks or whatever you end up choosing. Some rifles are particularly sensitive to barrel support, forend pressure, rest location, etc. I have a couple rifles that shoot a different point of impact when shot off bags at the bench vs my primos sticks.

That's a good point Elmer, I probably wouldn't have checked the sticks. I have decided to go with the Primos, just have to decide on two or three legs.

I really like the primos.. strap to my daypack and handy when I need them. And nothing attached to the rifle to add weight and bulk. I will say for precision work the Harris bipods are fantastic. I use one for western hunts. The primos for everything else.

Definitely check your point of impact.
Two years ago blackpower hunting I shot at a deer at 60 yards off of a shooting stick and clean missed. I got another load in and shot again...another clean miss. I got a THIRD load in as a young buck came out to see what was going on...80 yards broadside and he walked away unscathed. I thought it was the scope, so the next day I shot off a stable bench and it was right on at 100 yards X 3 shots. I shot off the shooting stick and I couldn't put it on paper at 100 yards... was a foot high at 50 yards! The rifle was jumping up off the stick as I wasn't holding it on...just laying it in the stick. When I held the gun tight onto the stick, it was on target.

Definitely agree on the point of impact ( bags to sticks) , Although I haven't been out that far yet DJ , not to say it isn't possible . I've been say an inch high at 100 . Still there are a lot more variables , when switching from bags to sticks that will do that . Some days I think for me , it's the morning coffee and the breathing , that gives me the most grief with coyotes especially .

I think mine was extreme because its a muzzle loader..150gr Pyrodex and 300gr XTP bullet/sabot kicks like a mule up off the stick

I think mine was extreme because its a muzzle loader..150gr Pyrodex and 300gr XTP bullet/sabot kicks like a mule up off the stick
Can just imagine . No the only rifles I shoot off sticks are a .22 250 and a .243 win. Kick really isn't an issue with them . But I have recently considered bringing them along on the controlled hunt . At least they'd make a good walking stick .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks