Upgrade for my Minn Kota

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hello all

looking to pair a fish finder and gps for my Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot

just wondering if there are any suggestions for a good match?

I’d like to be able to utilize all the features for my trolling motor.

Hello all

looking to pair a fish finder and gps for my Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot

just wondering if there are any suggestions for a good match?

I’d like to be able to utilize all the features for my trolling motor.
@Derkd9 I wish that I could help you out for you have the same Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot as I have,(I think that you already know that from previous post’s), and your electric motor is likely newer than mine.My electric motor is a 2007 model & I haven’t upgraded mine at all to a gps system,etc.,and maybe @ANGLING OUTFITTERS or even someone here on this board will be able to help you out & good luck!! 👍🙂

@Red Hering
Thanks for the response!
I may just not know how to use it..
I know it has the GPS white thing mounted on the bow. Just not sure if it needs a fish finder with gps or if I can already use the spot lock features on it without a fish finder
I guess I should have played with it a little more this summer hahaha
I would like one of the fish finders with side imaging to mount in the bow with it regardless.

I don't have one but I have been shopping for one... actually I just bought one but its not in yet.
Anyhow, it depends what model you have, if you have the ipilot w/bluetooth all yo u need is the bluetooth controller to use spot lock etc, but if you have ipilot-link then you need a hummingbird MFD to use those features. Which do you have?

@rastam4n It’s the iPilot with Bluetooth

so this is all I need then to use the spot lock and “auto pilot” features?
D084DCE7-B9AA-435E-890F-6C6A2D5A2CCC.jpeg6580082E-6C74-4C14-8904-800FEDBD7617.jpeg8C7F70AC-8845-4621-8187-3E51C2B1C633.jpeg

@hvyhaul I’m only suppose to purchase safety equipment for the boat this winter
ie the marine radio and antenna
But yah I think the cheapest humminbird with side imaging is the helix 7?
which is around $1000?

Does side imaging work off a bow mount? I could be wrong but I thought they just had a universal built in regular 2D down facing transducer.

I thought you have to get a different transducer for the side imaging and drop
It out the side the boat when you want to use it

Anyone have or had a humminbird Helix 5 and know what size SD cards are compatible? I lost most of my fishing trips from the summer when it overwrites the data on the built in tiny hardrive.

Your Terrova is ipilot which has spot lock, cruise control, auto pilot etc. all from the remote. You don't need a fishfinder unit to use any of the ipilot features. To hook it up to any of the networkable Humminbird units you would need a model that has ipilot link. Yours isn't that.

What transducer is in your trolling motor? If you have universal sonar 2, whatever fishfinder you get is going to just be 2D CHIRP at best, no DI for you. I don't think the transducers are changeable as they're a different size, the DI ones are huge.

I played with the bluetooth functions this summer. Found it pretty lousy. The remote works better.

That white puck isn't for GPS, all the GPS functions are in the motor's head unit itself. That white puck is a compass for heading readings since GPS can tell you where you are and where you're going, but not what direction you're facing. Need a compass for that. Heading readings only are used for one feature spot lock jog. If you're spot locked you can tell the motor to jog forward 5 feet. That's literally all it does. I installed my puck on my boat but haven't used it once.

My TM is an Ulterra with DI built in. I wanted SI at the bow so networked the bow Helix DI and console Helix SI and now I can see the rear's SI at the bow. The only downside is what you're seeing is out to the sides, 20 feet behind you. Oh well.

The real solution for this is the 360 degree imaging, but to the best of my knowledge you can't do that with a powerdrive motor. Only a Ultrex or Fortrex.

Feel free to ask me anything about these. I may only have had this stuff for one season, but I'm also an IT network/systems analyst by trade so I'd consider my tech skills pretty good lol.

Last edited:
Deleted this comment. I misunderstood Alby's reply.

Last edited:
Your Terrova is ipilot which has spot lock, cruise control, auto pilot etc. all from the remote. You don't need a fishfinder unit to use any of the ipilot features. To hook it up to any of the networkable Humminbird units you would need a model that has ipilot link. Yours isn't that.

What transducer is in your trolling motor? If you have universal sonar 2, whatever fishfinder you get is going to just be 2D CHIRP at best, no DI for you. I don't think the transducers are changeable as they're a different size, the DI ones are huge.

I played with the bluetooth functions this summer. Found it pretty lousy. The remote works better.

That white puck isn't for GPS, all the GPS functions are in the motor's head unit itself. That white puck is a compass for heading readings since GPS can tell you where you are and where you're going, but not what direction you're facing. Need a compass for that. Heading readings only are used for one feature spot lock jog. If you're spot locked you can tell the motor to jog forward 5 feet. That's literally all it does. I installed my puck on my boat but haven't used it once.

My TM is an Ulterra with DI built in. I wanted SI at the bow so networked the bow Helix DI and console Helix SI and now I can see the rear's SI at the bow. The only downside is what you're seeing is out to the sides, 20 feet behind you. Oh well.

The real solution for this is the 360 degree imaging, but to the best of my knowledge you can't do that with a powerdrive motor. Only a Ultrex or Fortrex.

Feel free to ask me anything about these. I may only have had this stuff for one season, but I'm also an IT network/systems analyst by trade so I'd consider my tech skills pretty good lol.
Do the helix fish finders that have side imaging capabilities have two spots to plug 2d transducer and a spot for the side imaging transducer (not sure what it’s called) I’ve seen them on YouTube when the guy just throws the transducer in the water when he was using the side imagining?

Need a Y-Cable to break out the SI feeds and 2d feeds to separate inputs. I had to do this as I was getting no 2d reading or depth while on plane. Turns out the huge SI transducer is not very hydrodynamic, created turbulence at high speeds and loses any high speed reading just on it's own. I added a Y cable and a shoot thru hull transducer in the bilge for high speed readings and now the SI ducer does SI and DI only.

Looks like this:
1611435527100.png
But because it says Humminbird on it, $60

Trust me I was very very annoyed that I had to spend $150 more for another transducer and y cable so that my $2000 fishfinder could read depth while on plane.

I just went through all of this researching. A bit mind boggling, and expansive.

I picked up two Helix 7s with networking and plan to run them off one transducer at the back.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks