Unusual Short Hunt

anonymoose

With not much showing on the trail cams, I set out to take an early season doe to fill the freezer. Here in 92 we can get an additional tag for buck or doe, giving me the opportunity to put a doe in the freezer and keep hunting in case a big guy happens to show up.

I did have a couple of smaller bucks. The bigger of the two was a 2.5-year-old who showed up 2 weeks back.

I_00033c.JPG

I_00044b.JPG

I didn't think much of either of these bucks, as I normally try to pass the younger deer in hopes that they will return when they are bigger. In reality, they usually disappear and there's a new crop of young ones here next year. I do get the occasional big boy passing through during the rut, but they don't stick around long.

With an odd southeast wind, I set my mind on a stand that isn't far from my house that would't be too bad for the wind direction. To get there, I just hike down a big gully behind my house and up the other side. It is a steep climb but this way I can get to a field edge without crossing the field and making my presence known to anything bedded up on the field edge.

I headed out around 5PM and down the gully, across the creek and made my way up the other side. I have a habit of making the climb slowly and quietly in case there's something feeding on the field above. When I got to the crest of the hill, I slowly rose up and looked over at the field. I didn't see anything, so my gaze returned to the path to my tree stand.

Suddenly I spot the 2.5-year-old. He's bedded down, right in the path, 4 yards in front of me.

I couldn't believe that this deer was still laying down, and had casually watched me pop up behind a log. He's looking at me, but making no effort to get away.

I lowered my head to hide my eyes behind the brim of my hat. My bow was still out of sight to the animal, so I slowly nocked an arrow. Drawing the bow, I returned my gaze to the deer, who is still contently sitting. I rise up above the log, place the pin on his vitals and release the arrow.

Anyone who has paper-tuned a compound bow knows that it will hit 3-4 inches low at very short distances. Obviously that wasn't what was on my mind, as I plugged that arrow straight through the log I was hiding behind. The arrow had scarcely left the rest by the time it smashed through the log with a dissatisfying crunch.

20201012_172635 - Copy.jpg

The deer sprung to his feet, but his curiosity got the better of him. He only ran 10 yards, and then turned back. Now he's at roughly 15 yards, and I'm nocking my second arrow. Miraculously, he didn't bolt. I was able to get the pin on him and the second arrow hit its mark.

20201012_172142 - Copy.jpg

deer - Copy.jpg

I've always said that I only shoot the stupid ones. I've also told others that the secret to shooting big deer is to let the stupid ones get big.

Well, I might not be very good at following my own advice, but that hunt was too much fun and he gave me too many chances for me to let him go. It is always nice to tag a deer and I still have a tag in case a big boy decides to make an appearance. This was my first time sneaking up on a bedded deer, and my first deer with this particular bow (PSE Brute Force Lite). I wish I'd have put it in the picture, but at least I have my sweet LPWA hat.

-moose

With not much showing on the trail cams, I set out to take an early season doe to fill the freezer. Here in 92 we can get an additional tag for buck or doe, giving me the opportunity to put a doe in the freezer and keep hunting in case a big guy happens to show up.

I did have a couple of smaller bucks. The bigger of the two was a 2.5-year-old who showed up 2 weeks back.

View attachment 34137

View attachment 34138

I didn't think much of either of these bucks, as I normally try to pass the younger deer in hopes that they will return when they are bigger. In reality, they usually disappear and there's a new crop of young ones here next year. I do get the occasional big boy passing through during the rut, but they don't stick around long.

With an odd southeast wind, I set my mind on a stand that isn't far from my house that would't be too bad for the wind direction. To get there, I just hike down a big gully behind my house and up the other side. It is a steep climb but this way I can get to a field edge without crossing the field and making my presence known to anything bedded up on the field edge.

I headed out around 5PM and down the gully, across the creek and made my way up the other side. I have a habit of making the climb slowly and quietly in case there's something feeding on the field above. When I got to the crest of the hill, I slowly rose up and looked over at the field. I didn't see anything, so my gaze returned to the path to my tree stand.

Suddenly I spot the 2.5-year-old. He's bedded down, right in the path, 4 yards in front of me.

I couldn't believe that this deer was still laying down, and had casually watched me pop up behind a log. He's looking at me, but making no effort to get away.

I lowered my head to hide my eyes behind the brim of my hat. My bow was still out of sight to the animal, so I slowly nocked an arrow. Drawing the bow, I returned my gaze to the deer, who is still contently sitting. I rise up above the log, place the pin on his vitals and release the arrow.

Anyone who has paper-tuned a compound bow knows that it will hit 3-4 inches low at very short distances. Obviously that wasn't what was on my mind, as I plugged that arrow straight through the log I was hiding behind. The arrow had scarcely left the rest by the time it smashed through the log with a dissatisfying crunch.

View attachment 34143

The deer sprung to his feet, but his curiosity got the better of him. He only ran 10 yards, and then turned back. Now he's at roughly 15 yards, and I'm nocking my second arrow. Miraculously, he didn't bolt. I was able to get the pin on him and the second arrow hit its mark.

View attachment 34144

View attachment 34145

I've always said that I only shoot the stupid ones. I've also told others that the secret to shooting big deer is to let the stupid ones get big.

Well, I might not be very good at following my own advice, but that hunt was too much fun and he gave me too many chances for me to let him go. It is always nice to tag a deer and I still have a tag in case a big boy decides to make an appearance. This was my first time sneaking up on a bedded deer, and my first deer with this particular bow (PSE Brute Force Lite). I wish I'd have put it in the picture, but at least I have my sweet LPWA hat.

-moose
Ya know the old saying! Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut! Congratulations nice trophy with a bow. You will have to start hunting with a spear lol.

Had a chance to let a young stupid one go last night Annymoose . Did a shutdown at dofasco since opening of the season and had a chance to get out to the stand yesterday afternoon into the evening . winds were light and variable to nill and temperature had started to fall. around 5:30 i noticed a deer on a trail up the hill so i bleated and it came right down and started sniffing all around the sent i layed down. it was a young spike now 15 yards away he stayed sniffed tail wagged i thought humm 2 hours into the first sitting this season i think ill let him go so i played with calls grunts to see his reaction and he would not leave so i put him in the cross hairs to set my scope clarity with a actual deer in the scope .... could not believe he stayed that long that close ... he went around the corner of the corn field and i knew he would pass my cam... yes this one young one will get to mature into a bigger 6-8-10- point ... have a brute on the propperty that is fighting them all so he is the one I'm after... WGI_0144.JPG
when i walked in

WGI_0145.JPG
One Lucky spike

WGI_0108.JPG
this guy has broken tines look at the size of that neck base

@Edmcl that looks like a beautiful mature buck you've got there!

For what its worth, I've passed every little guy I've seen on this property for the past 7 years, and I'm definitely not seeing a ton of big guys on cam. Either neighbours or trespassers must be shooting them. I do get a few trespassers on cam every year and find the occasional gut pile.

The big guys do show up, though. They come for the rut to breed the does, and then they are gone again. I had an additional tag to go with that deer, so I'm still after his big brother!

Nice story thanks for posting. The big guys are there but they only show up on camera after dark. That's why they are mature.
They do make mistakes though when the does are willing, so put the time in the stand and it will reward.

Put some serious hours in ...have had the pleasure of nine visits by my stand this week but not that dominate one . Had a doe just across the stream eye me up ...9 minute staring contest head bob and the look away and stare to see if i had changed position ... she tail swished and peed so not busted as the evening was a bout 1 hour to calling it i looked behind my stand and two big does 20 yards out ten feet up the hill ... i froze and drew back and waited ....slow peek and she was stomping and the settled down ......then a huge snort weeze up at the top of the thickets ... busting twigs and branched .... i think he was eyeing up the does and thought somthing was wrong ... great evening wind was from west to the east and thats where the does came in so i know i wasnt scented and no flags up ....so i think ill head out tomorrow night ....fingers crossed ....+++++

Don’t all those antlers and points just make it hard to drag out of the bush?
Asking for a friend.

Put some serious hours in ...have had the pleasure of nine visits by my stand this week but not that dominate one . Had a doe just across the stream eye me up ...9 minute staring contest head bob and the look away and stare to see if i had changed position ... she tail swished and peed so not busted as the evening was a bout 1 hour to calling it i looked behind my stand and two big does 20 yards out ten feet up the hill ... i froze and drew back and waited ....slow peek and she was stomping and the settled down ......then a huge snort weeze up at the top of the thickets ... busting twigs and branched .... i think he was eyeing up the does and thought somthing was wrong ... great evening wind was from west to the east and thats where the does came in so i know i wasnt scented and no flags up ....so i think ill head out tomorrow night ....fingers crossed ....+++++
Big enough hill the thermals were probably pulling your sent down towards the stream an away from the does

Had a chance to get up to the upper field where i hunt there is a old access road to it but lots of fallen trees going up there that block access but worth putting a cam there.. I shot a ten point up there a few years back in shotgun season but so thick the land to hunt. hard not to spook out the deer. Pulled the card the other night when it was raining thinking trying not to spook anything ( yeah right that didn't happen ) doe bedded down walked away no flag up but snorted .... here are a few pics .... off season im going to put a new stand up there ...
WLD_8378.JPG
WLD_8412.JPG
WLD_8413.JPG
WLD_8416.JPG
WLD_8712.JPG

Attachments

• WLD_8417.JPG
    WLD_8417.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 5
Yep love the stupid ones . Watched this guy for 20 minutes hoping something bigger would challenge him. Then I remembered home much I hate tag soup. Love the 20 gauge all though 30 yards isn't much of a stretch.

Attachments

• PXL_20201104_135326895.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201104_135326895.MP.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 31
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks