Un expected catch on Longpoint Bay

Nice fish for sure. Congrats . They are not that uncommon At this time of year. I have caught several over the years on the way and coming back from spawning grounds . Had them hit pike size swim baits .

Sweet Brown!

Ok I was waiting for someone to ID the fish. I'm not a salmon or trout guy, I know a Coho from a Steelhead because of the black mouth and that's about it. Is that a Brown trout? I know you are the trout guy @Stick, I don't even know why I would ask but I thought Brown Trout would be brown or brownishy.

When I caught it my first thought it was a brown but Later I was sure it was a Rainbow retuning from Big Creek.
But I have had a few people say it was a brown seeing the marks on the side

It has some marks on its side that look like a brown but everything else points to a river run spawned out steelhead except the markings . Browns usually spawn in the fall with the salmon. If I had to bet on it I'd go with a lake strain brown .

Congratulations will! Beautiful day, great fish and a happy angler.

You can't see the tail on @wills picture. It sure looks exactly like @jrr Brown. I do know this, she has spawned out as her belly looks to be really loose. The other thing I know for certain it is a nice fish.

Showed pic to a buddy of mine who used to run a charter on erie. He is sure it's a new York stocked brown. Apparently the stocked browns take on a different look and new York state stocks thousands a year. Hard to tell if the fin is clipped or not. It's definitely not a river born native brown .

Yes I was positive it was a brown as well,Thats why I love fishing Long point you never know what is there

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks