Turkeys are gobbling already !

Old Cut LongPointer

Heard them Wednesday morning across the road in my neighbours driveway at daybreak. Time to repattern the gun and prep the blinds and check all the pockets of my vest. There are a few good articles at OOD to read not only for newbies but seasoned hunters alike.

My back yard, nobody hunt 🦃 in the woods here so they are getting over populated there is 50+ birds most evenings, including a double bearded tom and a tom with a beard dragging on the ground.

I just drove past a field on rest acres rd with about 20 turkeys

Let me know if you need help thinning them out :D
I'd love to have 68 members come thin out the heard, but unfortunately with the bird flu we are very cautious about anyone coming on the property to protect our commercial flocks.

Gosh Fishboss I thought you were just teasing us but as you are a commercial farmer I see why there are 50 birds in your backyard. Thinning those birds out would probably be a good thing ? As you still have snow on the ground it won't be long before that gang breaks up into smaller groups as the Hens move off looking for nesting areas. As for the Avian Flu , so far it's only been found in geese in urban areas but with the migration ramping up it is still a concern.

In the field across the road a few weeks ago….

Attachments

• B4E3CDA1-1CE0-4D82-9506-EA3BC87DF92F.jpeg
    B4E3CDA1-1CE0-4D82-9506-EA3BC87DF92F.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 43
Gosh Fishboss I thought you were just teasing us but as you are a commercial farmer I see why there are 50 birds in your backyard. Thinning those birds out would probably be a good thing ? As you still have snow on the ground it won't be long before that gang breaks up into smaller groups as the Hens move off looking for nesting areas. As for the Avian Flu , so far it's only been found in geese in urban areas but with the migration ramping up it is still a concern.
About 3 weeks ago they were hanging out right beside the barn with curtains and chatting with the commercial flock, I walked in the barn and the front was empty they were all towards the back, I agree the wild 🦃 need to be thinned out.

At work this morning and a Tom and Jake were in the parking lot. The Tom was strutting around and he and his buddy start pecking and jumping up against the company van. I imagine that they seen their reflection in the rain washed vehicle. Was the funniest thing I had seen in awhile. Got to be game on time....

I went for a walk in the bush behind my house this afternoon. Never many turkeys here in winter. They generally start showing up around the first of April. I walked slow, looked for tracks, scratching or feathers…..nothing😞. I had brought a tall can of a favourite beverage and sat on a log to enjoy. Halfway through a bunch of crows set off about something and in the middle of the woods a clear shock gobble in response. I think everything will be fine. 👍

It’s why Turkey season around here is usually over the end of April

Everything else I hunt is fairly predictable but Turkeys are not so. It seems each time I go out I run through all the scenarios in my mind as to what might happen and they will usually show me a new trick to add to the list. LoL ! So it's time to get ready because school starts on April 25th at 0555hrs (legal shooting) sunrise is 0625hrs. in Norfolk County and hopefully Tom or Jake get to wear the dunce cap this year.

I have 3 buddies who come down from Sudbury and 6 of us usually spend 5 straight days hunting turkeys. I usually end up tagged out by the start of may which coincidentally is when I start fishing with the boat at Port Dalhousie.

Always nice to tag out early ! Do you put in full days when hunting ? Does everyone fill both tags ? Do you live next to a turkey farm ? LoL !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks