Tundra Swan Proposal and Results of Survey

Buddy Boy

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

April 20, 2012

Re: Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest - Update and Results of Survey

Dear Mr. J. Malcolm:

Further to my letter of March 05, 2011 regarding my proposal for a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario I am writing to provide you with some additional information including the results of the Tundra Swan survey following my presentation at the Annual General Meeting of the Long Point Waterfowlers Association (LPWA) last spring.

You may recall that Dr. M. Schummer (Biologist, Long Point Waterfowl) informed the LPWA members after my presentation that the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) will be conducting an assessment of having an Eastern Population Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Saskatchewan. Although I had received a personal e-mail earlier that morning confirming the CWS decision to conduct this assessment I was not aware of it until after I had returned home following the Annual General Meeting.

On January 13, 2012 I was further advised that the CWS assessment will include additional provinces but I was not advised which additional provinces would be included. I am pleased to inform you that I have recently confirmed that Manitoba and Ontario will be the two additional provinces included in the CWS assessment.

In my letter to Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) of February 14, 2012 (a copy of which was provided to you) regarding the funding that currently is and will be available from The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation I had made reference to the results of the Tundra Swan survey which indicated a very strong support for such a harvest. Here are the details:

1) Sixty (60) informational Tundra Swan handouts including a Tundra Swan survey were handed out.

2) Twelve (12) completed Tundra Swan Surveys were returned ... indicating a 20% return rate.

3) Ten (10) individuals fully supported my proposal for a limited (tag only) recreational Tundra Swan harvest in the Province of Ontario ... indicating an 85% level of support.

4) Two (2) individuals were not fully committed to supporting my proposal at that time ... indicating a 15% level of conditional support. One individual stated that he would like to hunt Tundra Swans and would hunt Tundra Swans if Ontario had a special season for them but had concerns about what Dr. M. Schummer had stated at the Annual General Meeting and the other individual stated that he might be interested in hunting Tundra Swans if Ontario had a special season for them but had not given it much thought in the past.

5) Seven (7) of the ten (10) individuals who fully supported my proposal also supported a tag fee of $20.00 indicating a 70% level of support whereas the remaining three (3) individuals did not believe that there should be a fee for the Tundra Swan tag.

I was somewhat disappointed at the relatively low return rate of 20% and I discussed this with Mr. T. Worden (President, Ducks Unlimited Canada) after meeting him at the Long Point Waterfowlers Association fund raising dinner last fall. He suggested that I should be very pleased with the results of my Tundra Swan survey as one can normally only expect about a 10% return rate. The fact that I had received double the expected return rate for a survey of that nature with an 85% level of support was apparently very impressive.

Consequently, considering the level of support by the members of the Long Point Waterfowlers Association for my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario, perhaps the Board of Directors could consider formally supporting my proposal as Mr. T. Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk) advised me last summer that this type of formal support would be very beneficial in making my proposal a reality.

In the meantime please be advised that my Tundra Swan proposal appears to have an even higher level of support from the majority of Ontario waterfowlers commenting on the Ontario Out of Doors' Hunt Ontario forum. I have also received support from waterfowlers from western Canada, Ohio (who have indicated that they would come to Ontario to hunt Tundra Swans) and Utah (waterfowlers hunt the Western Population of Tundra Swans).

I look forward from hearing from you regarding your support.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

Allow me to clarify the mathematical calculations:

1) The 10 out of the 12 completed surveys that had indicated full support for my proposal was actually an 83% level of support. If you include my own completed survey then that makes 11 out of 13 completed surveys or an 85% level of support.

2) The 2 out of the 12 completed surveys that had indicated conditional (limited) support for my proposal was actually a 17% level of conditional (limited) support. If you include my own completed survey then that makes 2 out of 13 completed surveys or a 15% level of conditional (limited) support.

Hope that makes sense.

Jerome

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

May 13, 2012

Mr. B. Blackwell
President
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario
K9J 8L5

Re: Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario

Dear Mr. B. Blackwell:

I am writing to you regarding my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario that I had originally submitted to Mr. J. Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) on October 05, 2010 (copy enclosed) and the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress that will be held in Ottawa from May 27 to May 31, 2012.

This proposal along with my three (3) other proposals (copies enclosed for reference) as well as another proposal that I supported (copy enclosed) were added to the agenda for consideration by the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) at their next meeting that was held on November 04, 2010.

I have enclosed a copy of the minutes from the OWAC November 04, 2010 meeting for your convenience.

You will notice within the minutes (middle of page two) that my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario lacked support among the OWAC members for the following reasons:

1) There does not seem to be a demand for such a season among large numbers of Ontario hunters.

2) It is feared that hunting swans could result in loss of support for hunting in general and increased anti-hunting sentiment.

In response to these two (2) main concerns:

1) I met with Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, LPW) on January 10, 2011 to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and offered to financially support (to a maximum of $10,000.00) a Long Point Waterfowl survey within the Province of Ontario similar to the survey that they had conducted regarding the hunting of Mourning Doves which had indicated an overall acceptance of such a season by the general public. This offer however was graciously declined.

2) I wrote to Mr. R. Olson (President, Delta Waterfowl) on January 30, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and offered to financially support (to a maximum of $10,000.00) a Delta Waterfowl survey within the Provinces of Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario to determine the level of interest among waterfowlers of such a season. A definite interest was expressed in my proposal.

3) I wrote to Mr. R. Olson again on February 02, 2011 (copy enclosed) to provide him with additional information regarding my proposal.

4) I wrote to Mr. J. Malcolm (President, LPWA) on February 05, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and requested an opportunity to make a presentation regarding my proposal at our Annual General Meeting on April 16, 2011.

5) I wrote to Mr. R. Olson a third time on February 14, 2011 (copy enclosed) disclosing my Mission Statement, my potential Financial Contributions for the next twenty (20) years, my Financial Support for Research Projects that would be available once a Tundra Swan recreational harvest has been established in the Province of Ontario and Other Considerations including my previous offer of $10,000.00 as well as the possibility of two (2) additional $5,000.00 donations to assist the residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan in establishing their own Tundra Swan recreational harvest. Unfortunately this offer was also graciously declined for reasons similar to the OWAC reasons.

6) I wrote to Mr. J. Hughes on March 30, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation including the amount of funds that would be available to establish ($10,000.00) and to monitor ($4,000.00 per year for twenty years) a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario. I also indicated to Mr. J. Hughes the possibility of two (2) additional $5,000.00 donations to assist the residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan in establishing their own Tundra Swan recreational harvest as per my letter to Mr. R. Olson of February 14, 2011.

7) As a member of the Long Point Waterfowlers Association (LPWA) I solicited support from our members in the LPWA waterfowl forum and eventually made a presentation at our Annual General Meeting on April 16, 2011 (copy enclosed).

8) After receiving a suggestion from a LPWA member I also posted my proposal in the Hunt Ontario waterfowl forum. The subsequent interest and support for my proposal can be reviewed in the various "threads" within that forum.

9) I wrote to Mr. J. Hughes again on March 31, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the level of interest and support that I had received so far from the various "threads" that I had started in the LPWA waterfowl forum as well as in the Hunt Ontario waterfowl forum.

10) I discussed my proposal and the survey results with Mr. T. Worden (President, Ducks Unlimited Canada) on November 30, 2011.

11) I wrote to Dr. S. Petrie again on February 14, 2012 (copy enclosed) following our meeting of January 20, 2012 to review my financial commitment to The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation, the amount of funds that would be available to establish and to monitor (twenty year period) a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario, the amount of funds that would be available to support other waterfowl related projects and research once a Tundra Swan recreational harvest has been established in the Province of Ontario, the level of support that my proposal has received so far and to advise him that I would be pleased to financially support his proposal for an Ontario Waterfowl Symposium that would bring waterfowl hunters, managers, biologists, scientists and policy makers together for a truly Ontario oriented forum.

12) After giving further consideration to the positive comments made by Mr. T. Worden I wrote to Mr. J. Malcolm again on April 20, 2012 (copy enclosed) to provide him with an update on my proposal and the results of my survey. Although my survey is certainly not very scientific it would appear that a significant level of interest and support exists for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest in the Province of Ontario.

Furthermore the principles that supported the LPW Mourning Dove harvest survey should be just as valid for a Tundra Swan harvest and consequently I believe that the general public would accept a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest in the Province of Ontario ... especially if they were adequately informed.

Considering that you and many other individuals involved with making wildlife decisions will be attending the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress in Ottawa from May 27 to May 31, 2012 I would like to request that you and the other individuals devote some time in discussing (with an open mind) my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario and the many benefits that such a harvest will eventually bring to the waterfowling community.

In closing I urge you review at least the contents of my letter to Dr. S. Petrie of February 14, 2012 prior to attending the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress.

I look forward to working with the OFAH in promoting my proposal.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I have also enclosed a copy of a Proposal for "Waterfowl Heritage Days" in the Province of Ontario that I was asked to prepare and submit to Mr. J. Hughes for consideration.

PS I can send copies of letters and documents referenced within this letter to anyone who did not receive them originally.

c.c.

Mr. T. Barrett, MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk
Mr. J. Hughes, Head of Population Management, Canadian Wildlife Service
Mr. J. Ingram, Acting Member, Ad Hoc Eastern Population Tundra Swan Committee
Dr. J. Leafloor, Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service
Dr. J. DeVink, Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service
Mr. P. Hunter, Biologist, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Dr. S. Petrie, Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl
Dr. D. Ankney, Scientific Advisory Committee Chairperson, Long Point Waterfowl
Mr. R. Olson, President, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Dr. R. Bailey, Vice-President Policy, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. T. Worden, President, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. J. Brennan, Ontario Manager, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. R. Maher, Regional Development Manager, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. D. McLachlin, Biologist, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Ms. H. Gamble, Director of Stamp and Print Program, Wildlife Habitat Canada
Ms. J. Lambrechts, Grants Administrator - Executive Assistant, Wildlife Habitat Canada
Mr. A. Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. G. Farrant, Head of Government Relations, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Dr. T. Quinney, Wildlife Biologist, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Greenwood, President Zone J, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Malcolm, President, Long Point Waterfowlers Association
Mr. J. Carol, President, Long Point Area Fish and Game Club
Mr. L. Greenwald, Portfolio Manager, RBC-Dominion Securities
Mr. D. Gluckstein, Portfolio Manager, RBC-Dominion Securities
Ms. G. Miller, Administrative Assistant, RBC-Dominion Securities

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

June 26, 2012

Mr. J. Malcolm
President
Long Point Waterfowlers Association
19 Teal Avenue
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

Re: Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest - Update and Results of Survey

Dear Mr. J. Malcolm:

Further to my letter of April 20, 2012 and to my letter to Mr. B. Blackwell (President, OFAH) of May 13, 2012 regarding my proposal for a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario I am writing in response to your letter of May 28, 2012.

I have the following concerns and comments to make regarding the contents of your letter to me:

1) You stated "The board has again confirmed that LPWA will not support an Ontario swan hunt" but I was never previously informed of such a decision by the LPWA Board of Directors.

I was however informed that the LPWA Board of Directors would not support my proposal for a Mourning Dove recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario since it was not within the LPWA mandate or my proposal for an Earlier Start to the Southern Waterfowl Season since it would require an Earlier Close to the Southern Waterfowl Season but I never received any response from the LPWA Board of Directors regarding my proposal for a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario, my proposal to remove the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species or my subsequent proposal for Waterfowl Heritage Days in the Province of Ontario ... a proposal that I was asked to draft and submit to the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) for their consideration. As you now know the CWS is moving forward with some of these proposals.

In my letter to Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) of April 20, 2011 (page 5) I stated that I had contacted Mr. A. Freitag (Secretary, LPWA) on March 03, 2011 by e-mail regarding the contents of the minutes for the LPWA Board of Directors meeting of October 24, 2010 as I had just recently been provided with a copy of them. I had noticed that Dr. D. Ankney's proposal for an increase to the Canvasback and Redhead bag limits, my proposal for a Tundra Swan harvest and my proposal to remove the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species apparently were not even discussed at the meeting.

Furthermore I had asked Mr. A. Freitag a series of questions (within my e-mail of March 03, 2011) regarding the apparent discrepancy in the manner in which our proposals were treated but I did not receive any response back from the LPWA Board of Directors. I still do not understand why Dr. D. Ankney's proposal received such a prompt letter of support from you (President, LPWA) especially since little support for his proposal was posted on the LPWA web site.

2) You stated "We have seen little evidence of support from our membership" but I provided you with the results of the Tundra Swan survey that I had recently conducted with the LPWA membership in my letter of April 20, 2012 which indicated a very strong support for such a harvest.

Although you and the Board of Directors did not actually get to review the completed and signed Tundra Swan survey forms that were returned to me by the LPWA membership neither you nor anybody else ever questioned the results of my Tundra Swan survey. I still have the completed and signed Tundra Swan survey forms and I could have attended the last LPWA Board of Directors meeting to permit anyone to review them if there was any doubt about the validity of the results.

Upon what evidence did the LPWA Board of Directors make their decision?

Consequently I suspect that you and the Board of Directors may not want to accept the results of my Tundra Swan survey. Although I do not claim that my Tundra Swan survey was highly scientific it does have some similarities to the recent survey conducted by the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) regarding a proposal for the Atlantic Murre Season.

The following was taken from the CWS web site:

A notice of intent is given that a new murre hunting zone is proposed to be delineated within the Green Bay area of the existing Murre Hunting Zone 2. In this area, hunters see few murres during the current murre hunting season, and have requested a delay in the season dates to allow access to murres which occur there later in January and early February. The proposal under consideration is to delay the opening and closing dates of the murre hunting season within the new murre hunting zone by about two weeks.

To evaluate this regulatory proposal, CWS undertook a special hunter opinion survey during the winter of 2009-2010. Questionnaires were sent out to 6000 Migratory Game Bird Permit holders. About 1200 questionnaires were returned by hunters, resulting in a response rate of ~20%. The majority of murre hunters that reported their primary murre hunting area was within the proposed zone voted to accept the new zone and season. Community meetings may be held to determine the exact positioning of the boundaries, and other hunters’ concerns.

I handed out 60 questionnaires vs 6000 by the CWS and I received 12 completed questionnaires vs 1200 by the CWS resulting in a response rate of 20% for both surveys. It is the returned ballots (completed surveys) that determine change within a democracy.

3) You stated "it is our understanding that our partners in the LPWA operations and our Crown Marsh rehabilitation projects do not support this initiative at this time. These include LPW, DUC, Delta Waterfowl, OMNR, OFAH, CWS, etc." but apparently this is not entirely correct.

In my letter to Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) of April 20, 2011 (bottom of page 1 to bottom of page 5) I provided a list of individuals with their affiliation that I had contacted either directly or indirectly (included within a cc list) regarding my proposal for a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario and a brief note regarding any response that I had received from them. Suffice to say that your statement would appear to be inaccurate based upon what I have documented in my letter.

Furthermore I had the opportunity to meet Mr. T. Worden (President, Ducks Unlimited Canada) since that time and I have provided him with a copy of my proposal for a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario as well as copies of supporting documentation. Although Mr. T. Worden found my proposal and supporting documentation to be interesting he advised me earlier this year that my proposal falls outside of Ducks Unlimited Canada's mandate. So to say that Ducks Unlimited Canada does not support my proposal is neither accurate nor fair ... especially since he wished me well with my proposal.

More recently I received an e-mail from an individual at the Canadian Wildlife Service thanking me for all the work that I have been doing to bring "swan hunting" to Ontario.

Finally as of the date of your letter I had not received any response from the OFAH head office.

4) You stated "it is the Board's view that support for this proposal would not advance the goals and objectives of the LPWA" but this statement is an apparent contradiction if the LPWA goals and objectives include the maintenance and enhancement of our waterfowling traditions since Tundra Swan hunting was once part of our waterfowling heritage ... up to 1916.

The word "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans and the word "waterfowling" includes the hunting of ducks, geese and swans. If the LPWA Board of Directors do not want to support my proposal for a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario then it would appear that they are not being "inclusive" in their goals and objectives.

The rationale for a recreational harvest is clearly explained on page 10 of the Management Plan under Strategy C-2 of the Public Use Guidelines whereby it states "The tundra swan is a migratory game bird species, as are all members of the family Anatidae, and hunting of the species is provided for by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918". It further states "hunting is an important public use of EP tundra swans" in the United States and I believe that it should also be an important public use in Canada.

It would appear that the LPWA Board of Directors may have thought the same as they approved a $1,000.00 grant to the Long Point Waterfowl and Wetland Research Fund (Long Point Waterfowl) in the late 1990s to sponsor a research project involving the satellite tracking of Tundra Swans ... our Tundra Swan was called "Waterfowler". This research project provided scientific data that was used to re-evaluate the Eastern Population Tundra Swan Management Plan in 2007.

Ducks Unlimited Canada sponsored Tundra Swan "Spirit" and Tundra Swan "Hans" while the OFAH Zone J sponsored Tundra Swan "OFAH - J" during this research project which involved the satellite tracking of several Tundra Swans. It should also be noted here that Delta Waterfowl donated $24,000.00 from 1999 to 2001 and the OFAH donated $5,000.00 in 2001 towards this research project. Consequently, in the absence of any scientific reason, it remains an inigma to me as to why these organizations would not now support my proposal in principle.

Any concern regarding the public acceptance of a Tundra Swan recreational harvest could and would be addressed as part of the consultation process as required by the Eastern Population Tundra Swan Management Plan.

5) You stated "the board does not feel that supporting this initiative is currently in the best interests of the LPWA and it's membership" but this statement is also an apparent contradiction considering the subsequent funding from The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation that would be available to the LPWA for other projects as per my letter to Dr. S. Petrie of February 14, 2012.

Considering that your "message" in the President's Report that was published in the LPWA April 2012 newsletter was that "funding may be very difficult to come by" and that you have "been building a list of alternative funding sources anticipating this situation" I am somewhat perplexed that the LPWA Board of Directors would decline the financial assistance that would be associated with my proposal ... a proposal that is conguent with the Eastern Population Tundra Swan Management Plan.

Furthermore you have requested in the President's Report that "If you are aware of agencies, private trusts, etc. that might help please give me a call". I am offering a financial assistance package to the waterfowling community from The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation that will be "in perpetuity" benefiting not only the current generations of waterfowlers but future generations of waterfowlers as well.

I look forward from hearing more from the LPWA membership on my proposal and my financial assistance to the waterfowling community.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. T. Barrett, MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk
Mr. J. Hughes, Head of Population Management, Canadian Wildlife Service
Mr. J. Ingram, Acting Member, Ad Hoc Eastern Population Tundra Swan Committee
Dr. J. Leafloor, Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service
Dr. J. DeVink, Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service
Mr. P. Hunter, Biologist, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Dr. S. Petrie, Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl
Dr. D. Ankney, Scientific Advisory Committee Chairperson, Long Point Waterfowl
Dr. M. Schummer, Scientist, Long Point Waterfowl
Mr. T. Barney, Biologist, Long Point Waterfowl
Mr. R. Olson, President, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Dr. R. Bailey, Vice-President Policy, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. R. Donnelly, Regional Events Director, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. T. Worden, President, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. J. Brennan, Director of Government Affairs, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Dr. M. Gloutney, Provincial Manager (Ontario), Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. R. Maher, Regional Development Manager, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. D. McLachlin, Biologist, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Ms. H. Gamble, Director of Stamp and Print Program, Wildlife Habitat Canada
Ms. J. Lambrechts, Grants Administrator - Executive Assistant, Wildlife Habitat Canada
Mr. B. Blackwell, President, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. A. Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. G. Farrant, Head of Government Relations, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Dr. T. Quinney, Wildlife Biologist, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Greenwood, President Zone J, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. C. Thomson, Vice-President, Long Point Waterfowlers Association
Mr. A. Freitag, Secretary, Long Point Waterfowlers Association
Mr. L. Eves, Treasurer, Long Point Waterfowlers Association
Mr. J. Carol, President, Long Point Area Fish and Game Club
Mr. E. Vandommele, Vice-President, Long Point Area Fish and Game Club
Mr. J. Helsdon, Secretary, Long Point Area Fish and Game Club
Mr. B. Hawke, Treasurer, Long Point Area Fish and Game Club

Hello Dan,

Further to my private e-mail to you I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for your letter to Mr. Jack Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) in support of my Tundra Swan proposal.

The CWS assessment of a potential Canadian Tundra Swan recreational harvest will be completed shortly and letters of support will be essential in seeing my Tundra Swan proposal implemented.

The "decision makers" within Ducks Unlimited Canada, Delta Waterfowl, Long Point Waterfowl, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, Wildlife Habitat Canada, Long Point Waterfowlers Association and other hunting clubs need to be informed that waterfowlers support my Tundra Swan proposal and will participate in a limited (tag only) Canadian Tundra Swan recreational harvest.

My initial Tundra Swan survey of the Long Point Waterfowlers Association members indicated a very strong support for my Tundra Swan proposal based upon the completed and signed questionnaires that were returned to me. The results of my initial Tundra Swan survey are reviewd in my letter of April 20, 2012 to Mr. J. Malcolm (President, LPWA).

Your support from the State of Michigan as well as the support that I have already received from the State of Ohio (indicating a willingness by Ohio waterfowlers to travel to Ontario to participate in a Tundra Swan harvest) is greatly appreciated.

I will provide the contact information in the next post for anyone wishing to express their interest and support for a Canadian Tundra Swan recreational harvest.

Sincerely,

Jerome

PS I will also post this in my "Tundra Swan Proposal - Update and Results of Survey" thread.

Hello Guys,

There is no specific link regarding the Tundra Swan proposal.

A letter of support to Mr. Jack Hughes will be sufficient for now.

Mr. Jack Hughes
Head of Population Management
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environmental Stewardship Branch
Environment Canada
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

jack.hughes@ec.gc.ca

You may also want to forward a copy to Ms. Susan Humphrey.

Ms. Susan Humphrey
Ontario Regional Director
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada
4905 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario
M3H 5T4

susan.humphrey@ec.gc.ca

A copy to myself would also be appreciated.

Dr. Jerome Katchin
798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

thebuddyboy@hotmail.com

Jerome

PS You may want to reference:

1) My proposal to expand Tundra Swan hunting opportunities for North American waterfowlers in accordance with the respective Management Plans for both the eastern and western Tundra Swan populations.

2) These two Tundra Swan populations are currently at 25% and 33% above the goals set by their respective Management Plans.

3) That we are missing out on a "golden" opportunity to expand our opportunities to hunt Tundra Swans while both management populations are at these high levels.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks