Traveling with fish in livewell = breaking the law

sterlingz

Had a nice outing last week fishing for pike with my mom and brother. Few hours on the water, picked up 4 perfect sized eaters and a dozen throwbacks that were too big or small for our liking. This wasn't great lakes by the way.

Ran into COs and cops on the road out. They asked how we did and we told them. They asked to see the fish so we pointed them to our livewell.

As it turns out, 2 fish were still alive and we got dinged $273 for "illegally transporting live fish". Pretty lame if you ask me, I've never heard of this rule anywhere. Even the government page detailing "how to transport fish" doesn't mention anything about live/dead.

And with this being said... I've transported fish in my livewell SO many times, and know of many other people who do so regularly.

I DO understand the purpose for this regulation, however it seems so obscure to me, a warning would have been fair...

Thoughts?

I heard that others suffered the same fate when transporting fish off the Point to the weigh-in at Turkey Point during the recent Big Bass Derby. Partially defeats the purpose of having the Live Release boat on hand. IMHO @sterlingz , a warning would have been much more appropriate.

Let's get @Woodsman 's opinion here...
?

It's the law ( cough cough) but again ridiculous. Not surprising you got a fine as it was probably a slow day. Some of these laws need to be updated. The boating ones really get me. You cant use your phone as a means of communication or flashlight. If your boat breaks are you gonna use your whistle or phone ? Times have changed they have not

Agree that a warning could have sufficed for an honest mistake (probably obvious that your intent was not to use those fish for illegal stocking), but the regs are pretty clear (p14):

It is illegal to stock or transport live fish, other than baitfish, without a permit. Fish transported overland should be dead and transported on ice, not in a livewell filled with water.

Second sentence makes it sound like the ice is mandatory too, but that shouldn't be the case as long as the fish is not permitted to spoil (and as long as it's dead!).

Thats just a dick move. They wonder why people aren't more warm and welcoming. I got dinked last for $125 cause my flashlight didn't work. It's one thing to have a bunch of live fish ready to be released and having fish heading for the table with a group of honest fishermen If they can't tell the difference then they need more training.

Law enforcement is the only occupation where your in the wrong all of the time. If you use discretion your too lenient and let things slide. If you enforce the law as it’s written your a hard case that needs more training. These threads always make me smile.

so... I'm out there trolling about with fish in my livewell... couldn't that be considered transporting fish as well?

Has anyone given any thought about who and how we can change this law. We have LIVE WELLS in our boats for the purpose of keeping our catch fresh.

so... I'm out there trolling about with fish in my livewell... couldn't that be considered transporting fish as well?
Is that transporting fish overland? No. This reg is clearly shown on both page 12 and page 14 of the current regs and has been there for years. It was implemented in hopes of stopping people from transporting non-native and invasive species between water bodies.

Screenshot_20190702-163835.png

Last edited:
So can I fill my live well with ice and no water . Don't plan on releasing what's in the well . Just easy way to keep my fish ?

I am pretty sure the ice companies are behind this? Come on guys keep it fresh on ice. You can buy a lot of ice for $273 bucks. I still see people dragging them around on stringers. Make me cringe.

Thats just a dick move. They wonder why people aren't more warm and welcoming. I got dinked last for $125 cause my flashlight didn't work. It's one thing to have a bunch of live fish ready to be released and having fish heading for the table with a group of honest fishermen If they can't tell the difference then they need more training.

I was dinged also for flashlight not working a few years back...had the flashlight....kept shaking it because it had worked the weekend before...went to court over it and won. Clearly a bulb or battery can be damaged while motoring which would cause the flashlight not to work. Same as if your headlight goes out while driving. Judge was nice simply tossed it out. Cost me a half day off work and a 2 hour drive but it was the point !

Crappie fishing this year i just tossed my stringer in the back of the truck to go home for the fish fry. Wasnt far ,old cut to beach ave. But they were out of the water while i packed the truck and drove home. Tossed them in some fresh water while i got the cutting board and fillet knife ready, when i got back the bastards were alive and swimming in the sink haha

I have gone ice fishing in winter...filled a pail with my limit of perch and traveled home. Because they are so cold...when I have put them in a sink to clean, some are actually still alive...over 2 hours later. Clearly if one was to go to court over that you would win. The law is to prevent people from moving live fish from one body of water to another and if you went to court and explained that the fish simply hadn't died in the pail while transporting because of the cold...a Judge would toss that out IMO. Curious...was there water in the live well ? If not..and a couple were still flipping around a bit...take it to a Judge.

yep go to court and tell the judge and at the very least.. reduce it..
most guys throw the ticket out and don't pay it..
Know your rights!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks