Trap reloading cost?

Hunter96

Hey guys. Just bought a new trap gun, been out a couple of times and don’t feel right having my auto loader spitting shells towards the gentleman/lady beside me. Bought the Canuck over/under combo as an entry gun. Is a good bang for your buck. My question to you experienced trap reloaders is.....
How much does it cost to reload your own rounds in 1 oz #7.5.? With taxes in its about $0.40 cents a round to buy factory rounds . I love to shot and will be a regular on sundays in the off season when not bow hunting and I’m wondering if it’s worth buying a progressive press. I reload my rifle with my Hornady lock and load but never reloaded shot shells. Thanks for your feed back in advance. neen saving my spent shells.

I work in the "business" and I've priced it out buying all the components. In the end the savings are very minimal. It would take a long time to pay for the equipment. It's actually about the same cost to buy Challengers but Federals and Remingtons are a little more per flat. Mind you a lot of people just enjoy reloading and that could be a factor as well. TC

Also the price for primers and powder is a little low. There are approx. 7000grs of powder in a pound if that helps. TC

Took those prices off of hummasons manufacturing site out of Ancaster as I made the sheet. They are usually pretty up to date and the cheapest around. Either way by the time you factor in a progressive or even a semi progressive press, hulls and some of the other needed accessories the savings is going to me minimal for a long time unless like mentioned it’s more of a relaxing thing than a money thing. The only thing I reload now is pheasant loads. In the ten years I’ve had loading equipment lead went from mid $30 up to 49. That really ate into the savings.

Thanks guys helps a lot. What about shot for duck/geese. Some of that stuff is pretty expensive when your buying heavy load.

Reloading steel is a very different and more sensitive than lead. I have all the loading equip and a pretty good knowledge about Loading and I won’t touch it. Just my 2cents

Chamber pressures and getting the shot to meter accurately are the issues with steel shot loads. Tread carefully.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks