Transom replacement - All Done!

andrewm

Tore apart the transom on my Legend 1468 on Saturday. Boat is only about 5 years old and wood was still in fairly good shape, but wanted to raise the transom to accommodate a long shaft motor, rather than mounting motor to the plate that was bolted to transom.

Anyway, just about finished. Project was surprisingly easier than I had anticipated. I milled up some lumber I had lying around the shop (used cherry, the heartwood of which has some decay-resistant properties) to build a new board, and fabricated a couple aluminum skins. Should be ready to bolt back together tonight or tomorrow.

One thing I was very surprised at is how wet the old transom board was. Given the amount of mould growing on it suggests that it was just raw plywood from the factory - not sealed with anything.

If anyone else has a similar project looming and is looking for some advice, just drop me a line. I'll get some pics up once I get them off the camera.

Cheers!
Andrew

My brother and I have replaced the transom twice on our Starcraft Holiday 18 as well as other 14 footers . We use pressure treated plywood but also really put the sealer to it.You were lucky to get a solid piece of wood to work with . Cedar or oak would be ideal if you can get them .It's not as scary a job as you might think although one time the old transom was so rotted that we couldn't use it as a template so it made for a lot of sanding down

Sonny - you're right, not nearly as scary as it may seem. Finished up, other than the 3 bolts that needed to be 1/8" longer, and the nut that fell down below the floor boards. Yes, very fortunate to have been able to make up a solid wood panel. Actually, cherry wood is more resistant to moisture than white oak, and just as reistant as cedar. Reason it is not nearly as common for outdoor use due to cost.

Picture attached - inclusive of half the mess involved in the re-build!..... ok, or maybe not... need to figure out how to post pictures.

OK - let's see if I have this picture thing figured out. Here is before, during and after...

P4090007.jpg

P4090013.jpg

P4100015.jpg

P4110017.jpg

P4170026.jpg

I did some work on the trailer while I was at it - cut the tongue and installed a swing hinge, replaced wheel bearings, painted, new tires...

Looks good and you won't get as much water over the transom that way.

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods and The Rod Glove for their support

Thanks guys! Now if I could only get the (trailer) wiring problem figured out. I have all the lights working now, but when running lights are on and signal is turned on, the running lights blink. I think I have it narrowed down to a grounding issue, probably rust/paint where the rails bolt to the tongue. Might try running a ground wire all the way back to the lights to see if problem is corrected.

Hoping to get down next weekend if its nice! Sounds as though we might have a full schedule though, and I'm all booked up the following weekend as well. Looking like a good excuse to take a day off work in order to get the boat in the water before the end of the month!
Andrew

quote:
Originally posted by andrewm

Thanks guys! Now if I could only get the (trailer) wiring problem figured out. I have all the lights working now, but when running lights are on and signal is turned on, the running lights blink. I think I have it narrowed down to a grounding issue, probably rust/paint where the rails bolt to the tongue. Might try running a ground wire all the way back to the lights to see if problem is corrected.

Andrew

I saw something very similar to this once, turned out the guy had put in a single filament bulb where a two filament bulb should be, the single contact on the bulb spanned the 2 contacts on the receptacle so when the turn signal was put on for that side, power was getting to the tail lights / running lights and the whole trailer blinked:D

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks