Traditional Ice Fishing vs. Today's Terminator

Huron

Can't help writing about this since noticing the number of posts (mainly on the lake Simcoe board) about guys posting huge numbers of super jumbo's "They Caught" Hey happy for them. But I think one should differentiate between the guys just enjoying a day on the ice in a hut with pole in hand vs Arnold, who is out there on a drill and run mission all over the ice with a battery of assault weapons from electronic fish finders to argos, ski doos. etc. But then maybe I'm envious because mama won't let me have more play toys. Huron

Being mobile and having a sonar/flasher for deep water perching is huge... Electronics (other than GPS) have little use if fishing LPB but mobility is still key...

That being said... I have had better days waiting them out than the runner and gunners...

They do differentiate. They are the ones catching fish when no one else is...
Fish how you want. When I go, I go to get 'em. Gear, supplies and gas, as well as the effort and time on the water, are too precious to sit on a white bucket, or put down the anchor, and shrug my shoulders and say "I guess they aren't biting?"
People always say "That's why they call is fishing, not catching". My answer is always "Yes, it's called fishing, not sitting!" Go get em!

Having electronics and being mobile hardly makes you a terminator. It can give you a huge advantage over guys sitting on a pail jiggin with their stick though.

There will always be two sides to this debate. Terminator fisherman, are like large party deer hunters. Pail sitters are like bow hunters. As long as you aren't wasting any thing you catch or kill, do what you need to do to feed your family. Have fun, and be safe. For the record I'm a pail sitter, but a party hunter.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks