Off Topic To Scale or Skin

Richardscott999

I grew up scaling all my fish that the family caugh. Time and technology changed that along the way to skinning everything. I recently was in Wisconsin and had a walleye lunch that had the skin on. It tasted great. I am wondering if scaling fish instead of skinning makes that much difference.

Secondly looking at a Bear Paw scaler. Anybody use these and give me an opinion on there value. Thanks in advance.

Love the taste of skin on but just too messy around camp or home.Have seen some neat auto scalers but never tried one.Think most people skin because it is quicker also.

I prefer my perch with skin on but never tried walleye that way. I’ll have to try it. I have this scaler that does a reasonable job. It takes a little longer then the instructions say but gives you time for a couple of pops while waiting. After I remove fish I just knock off the few remaining scale with a hand scaler

Attachments

• AEC482B1-5B26-42D8-89D1-FE6A3C7FE22E.png
    AEC482B1-5B26-42D8-89D1-FE6A3C7FE22E.png
    918.9 KB · Views: 28
Agree there is slightly better taste and always scaled perch years ago but now just to much work and mess even with electric scalers. Usually with an electric filleting knife I can do a 100 perch in 1 1/2 hours having clean fillets that taste pretty amazing to all who eat them. I can't imagine how long it would take even though using an electric scaler but it would be definitely longer than I'm willing to do it... and cleaning up the mess yikes, no thanks. o_O:LOL: I might add that it wouldn't be much work with the numbers of perch caught in the last 2 years in the Central Basin that's for sure. LOL!!! :giggle:

at 59 I still scale perch. less than 2 hrs to scale and fillet 100 fish, alone.
I use one of these scalers.
I do skin walleye and bass.
115188.jpg

Walleye and perch fillets are great with skin on and scaled. I use a Magic Fish Scaler and it works great, but I still remove skin on most fillets and treat myself to scaled fillets here and there.

Dressed and scaled perch is great when deep fried. Moist, tender, extra flavor from the bones and skin, less waste, and best of all....crispy fins and tails.

My best advice for easy scaling is to keep fish alive, never let them freeze on the ice makes it a much easier job

I have used the Open Country Tumble Drum Sportsman Automatic Fish Scaler for the last 3 years. Works great. I put up to 15 perch in at a time depending on size. I can clean faster than it can scale so I just get it going early. So much easier to clean once scaled.

Attachments

• d0363410-ede5-438b-985d-491a1407218a_1.aa400de94a03f5d615874d38cc1cea17.jpeg
    d0363410-ede5-438b-985d-491a1407218a_1.aa400de94a03f5d615874d38cc1cea17.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 12
@jeweller l have looked at the drum descallers, can you do walleye in them? And if used for perch can you do a few at once?
I’ve never done walleye in it and it won’t do a count. It says up to 50 panfish but I do better with 25. After the first wait it becomes pretty good. Fillet the first group and then the next group put in is usually ready when done filleting it. Works well but not speedy. I found a little less water then what they recommend in the instructions speeds things up too

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks