Ticks

can't miss

Are ticks moving north? Couple of buddies have been out snooping out our hunt turf, came back covered in the bastards? North of St.T area.
Started out not many yrs ago, provincial parks, then north shore erie, then Pt Stanley, Union area, now north of the railroad city? Never seen one here Thamesford area, ever, but not looking forward to them either?
Just wondered what other's are seeing, and could a good hard winter knock them back?

I agree there seems to be more of them these days but I beleive we have always had some. I grew up in the late 50's and 60's in the north part of the Kawartha Lakes region. North of Lindsay and Peterborough and I certainly got ticks playing in the woods and fields up there that long ago.

I'm near Clear Creek and found this year the ticks are not so bad. Maybe due to cool wet start of year ? I read that birds migrating north are dependant on certain food sources ( ticks ? ) being available upon their arrival. The blistering hot summer last year may have put a dent in the population also. I guess that's why they recommend you put your clothes in the dryer after being out afield.

According to my vet...

Ticks love the cool weather not super hot summer.

Ticks have been moving north for 20 Years.

But it's global warming...

We get plenty in town all over Norfolk county now. Any type of long grass.

There were ticks here before, but not deer ticks. They are moving north, after arriving on birds. It's not global warming as the other area they are in Ontario is around Fort Frances where it is still colder than it ever was down here.

Deer ticks have been on Long Point since at least 1989. I shot a nice buck there on a controlled hunt somewhere in that time frame and he was covered. Ive seen them as far north as algonquin park.

Went hunting with my pooch Monday on a Norfolk county property for pheasants. I forgot to put his tick medication on the week before. (topical along the back) today I found 7 engorged black leg (deer Ticks) on him. I even brushed him and looked him over good when we got home that day and put his tick killer on when we got back as he was covered in burrs.

My daughter ran cross country in simcoe at memorial park (Lynn valley trails). We found an engorged deer tick in her head the next day.

So just letting y'all know that they are out in full force.

I did not find any on me after the hunt and hell we were only out for 1.5 hrs and only flushed one pheasant.

Check yourselves and your kids/ pooches frequently after any outdoor activity. 20191012_204752.jpg

Ps I used to have him on K9advantix II but he would always have a reaction major itching after applying it for about 2 hours.

This year the vet tried him on another topical tick MEd but I'm thinking it ain't very effective. On K9 advantix I had never ever found a tick on him after he was on it for 7 years.

Pulled a little guy off my belly the other night. He just started digging in so he was easy to remove. I was clearing deer trails that day but showered up as we went out for dinner that nite . Maybe got him off the dog later ?

If u don't like Tics then stay away from Simcoe area.
Spring time was crazy. I live on 3/4 acre just outside of town. First tic I found on my bloodhound was beginning of March 3rd this year(earliest I have seen them).
I bet u I pulled at least 30 off of me in the spring. Just even picking up the garden hose off the grass i had one on my hand. It got so bad when i was cutting the grass on my riding lawnmower or weed wacking that i wore my fishing chest waders.
Summer & fall were ok around my neck of the woods.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks