Thinning Beets and Carrots

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
This year is my first year growing beets and carrots and wasn't sure if they would grow so I planted the whole package of seeds. Also, the seeds were so small I didn't have a clue how to space them out. Looks like all the seeds grew and now I have a mat of beets and carrots. I've read about thinning them and what I've learned is to pull the plant from the soil by the root and then mound more soil around the plants that are left.

Any other advice?Beets and carrots.jpg

What ever you thin out makes a great green salad, beet leaves, spinach, black kale, swiss chard, carrots, lettuce. And so healthy with zero miles on them. Carrots should be 1/2 inch apart. We planted 550 acres of them this year.

What ever you thin out makes a great green salad, beet leaves, spinach, black kale, swiss chard, carrots, lettuce. And so healthy with zero miles on them. Carrots should be 1/2 inch apart. We planted 550 acres of them this year.
@GPS 550acres!😲 I can measure my 'garden' with a tape measure (a small one). Love the idea of using what I pull out for a salad so it's not wasted. Thank you

My radish and green onion seeds came on a paper tape, super easy to plant ! For those loose small seeds I have had some success using an envelope with a bottom corner snipped off just a tiny bit to allow a seed to drop out of it.... tedious work .

They're not my carrots, I sit in a tractor for three weeks in the spring and 8 weeks in the fall helping a neighbour.
I have lots of time for fishing in between, they don't.

They're not my carrots, I sit in a tractor for three weeks in the spring and 8 weeks in the fall helping a neighbour.
I have lots of time for fishing in between, they don't.
@GPS Hopefully you get some fresh carrots as a result... and of course, lots of fish.

I'll make sure you get lots. Wheel barrow or pickup load, your choice.

550 Acres in your area, I'm guessing that might possibly be part of the Griffore's acreage

This year is my first year growing beets and carrots and wasn't sure if they would grow so I planted the whole package of seeds. Also, the seeds were so small I didn't have a clue how to space them out. Looks like all the seeds grew and now I have a mat of beets and carrots. I've read about thinning them and what I've learned is to pull the plant from the soil by the root and then mound more soil around the plants that are left.

Any other advice?View attachment 43958
A trick to sowing out very small seeds is by putting them in a salt shaker. Tape up 1/2 to 3/4s of the holes and/or add rice to the mix. This will thin the amount coming out, and saves on seeds for later. Hope this helps for next time you sow out really small seeds.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks