Off Topic These any good

Tboz

Like everyone. We always want a little bigger boat without breaking the bank. I am currently in a 16 foot boat and came across this one. Anyone have a sylvan? How are the in lake erie and lake O? Seems like a lot of $ for a 20 year old boat and motor? Thoughts?

Motors and boat from the pics look good shape. Never owned one but anything you review will find both good and bad. Have heard a lot say they had them for years while others complained of leaks etc. Any boat this size and you pound it in big waves it may catch up to you so pick your days - take it easy and prob a good buy. Just my opinion a lot is how you use treat them as it is a 17 footer on a Great Lake
Maybe spend a little time on reviews as sure there’s gotta be lots as still see a lot out there and some older ones too.
Good Luck

Definitely a beautiful looking boat and looks to be set up well. Have never looked, ridden or seen one myself but do know the reviews on sylvan boats are mostly good from what I've seen. As with many and any boats go, reviews on used boats are only as good as the previous owners especially the engines. Know many guys with boats that guys have said are crap that have had nothing but issues and others who still run them 10 years later with none but usually and if not most times engine issues are the issue. All I can say is get as much info as you can on the boat and do your research if you don't know anyone with knowledge of boats. Learned how to fish the lake with a friend who owned a Sylvan and it was a great boat imo and never left us stranded but opinions do vary.

Nice boat..I would look for a deeper haul if Erie fishing just my opinion..

Last edited:
id go a few more feet if possible. Next year you'll have twofootititus again! And you'll feel more comfortable going out deeper if need be

I've had a 2000 Sylvan Adventurer SC which is a little smaller than the Pro Fish since new with no problems at all. I fish Erie all the time and it's certainly had it's share of rough water beatings and still doesn't leak a drop. Here's the specs for that boat on Kijiji as it may be a help in your decision. The boat appears to be in fantastic shape and as others have said boat prices have gone crazy during this pandemic.

General Boat Info​

Make :Sylvan
Model :1700 Pro Fish DC
Model Year :2003

Measurements / Dimensions​

Beam : 91 in
Inside Cockpit Depth 25 in.
Weight1,140 lbs
Width Transom90 in
Length overall 17 ft. 10 in

Engine and Drivetrain​

Fuel tank capacity - gallons :31 gal
Fuel tank capacity - Liters :117.35
Drive type :Outboard
Engine max :135 hp

Hey Tboz; I have owned my Sylvan since 2005. It is a 1998 Bluefish 19.5 ft. It has been a great boat. Having some rivets come loose last few years but those are fixable. I paid $18,000 for mine back then. Lol. I have 100hp Yamaha and 9.9hp Yamaha.
The boat you are looking at looks in great shape so that wouldn't be my concern. 17 ft is a little small for the bigger waters of Lake O and E. And the price is wacked but they all are due to Covid. You can't buy new without waiting 6-8 months and paying a stupid price, so the used boat prices have gone way up. Just like house prices going crazy. If you could wait a couple of years the prices should be back to normal. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

have a 2006 sylvan expedition 16' with 75 hp etec and it is easy to tow, easy to launch by yourself, real good on gas and not bad on big lakes. I fish eyes 6-7 miles out in the summer on Erie and have been caught in pretty big waves, never once felt unsafe. But I still pick my days. I have 2footitus though and wish that I had held out for 18' just for the extra floor space. Looks like a beauty boat, good luck Tboz.

Something like this could cost $30-40k new depending on how it is rigged. When I hung a Merc Prokicker with remote steering it was getting close to $10k alone.

Yeah. Thanks everyone. I called and the guy said it sold the first night... he got 1000 dollars more than he was asking... sounds like a bidding war just like on houses..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks