The migration is on

GrouseGuy

There are hundreds of geese and Mallards near my home in the Brantford area. There are some Black Ducks mixed in with the Mallards and also groups of Pintails. A good number of Tundra Swans and a few Sandhills are also showing up. Saw some Red-winged Blackbirds and robins as well.

Last edited:
Seen a large flock of Swans the other day on the northside of Lakeshore Road by Port Royal and of course the usual Sand Hill cranes and geese. The week before I had hundreds and hundreds of ducks mostly Mallards flying over the farm, which is west of Clear Creek. I assume they were feeding in the fields out this way because the fields closer to Long Point had been picked over pretty good by now and would head for open water out on the lake to roost.

Hello Grouse Guy,

We have not heard from you for a while ... keeping well?

I am seeing more Tundra Swans this past week as well and the Canada Gesse are anxiously picking out nesting areas around here now ... crap ... last summer we had over 70 Canada Geese (including their broods) at times wondering onto our lawns to continuously eat grass and crap ... emphasis on the latter.

I guess that you have not been to North Dakota for your regularTundra Swan hunt recently ... let me know either way.

We will eventually get a Tundra Swan season here.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The ice over the Inner Bay opened up a bit yesterday morning with the temperature reaching 10 degrees and the Canvasbacks just poured into the area near Big Creek where there was open water.

The temperature then reached 14 degrees by the afternoon and the ice really started to melt leaving a large area of open water with even more open water by this morning with the temperature holding at 5 degrees.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Thousands of Tundra Swans arrived overnight and literally filled the Big Creek Wildlife Management Area this morning (west side of the causeway and north of the creek) ... what a pleasant sight to see!

Jerome

Hello Grouse Guy,

We have not heard from you for a while ... keeping well?

I am seeing more Tundra Swans this past week as well and the Canada Gesse are anxiously picking out nesting areas around here now ... crap ... last summer we had over 70 Canada Geese (including their broods) at times wondering onto our lawns to continuously eat grass and crap ... emphasis on the latter.

I guess that you have not been to North Dakota for your regularTundra Swan hunt recently ... let me know either way.

We will eventually get a Tundra Swan season here.

Jerome
Jerome....I have not hunted in North Dakota for quite a few years, but did successfully hunt swans there during the 5 or so years I did hunt there. I know a lot about the mess made by the goose broods "at the Bridge" on Big Creek where we have a trailer. Two summers ago I witnessed a gosling, about the size of a mallard, killed by a snapping turtle in the marsh along the trailer park. I sent my lab to retrieve the carcass and it was basicially decapitated.

Hello Guys,

The Tundra Swans were gathering by the hundreds yesterday afternoon in Coletta Bay between Big Creek and as far as there was open water towards the marinas to the south .. well over 1,000 birds.

I did an approximate count of the Tundra Swans this morning and there must have been about 2,000 (probably more) from what I could see and I could not see all of them.

The ducks were even more numerous there and they extended further out to the Inner Bay ... 20,000 would be a conservative number.

Jerome

PS Grouse Guy ... thank you for the update and let's talk this summer when you are in the area.

I watched over the pond behind my home this evening for about an hour and witnessed quite a spectacle of geese, swans, and ducks coming to roost. One flock of Tundra Swans had to be around 150 birds. Also endless flocks of 40-50 geese. Saw some Trumpeter Swans in the last couple of days.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks