Thames River Walleye’s ON!!

2 of us were out today. We got 4 ( I only got 1) also had the pleasure to meet Red Herring. Was fairly quiet people wise
It was also a pleasure meeting you there @SonsOfPerchin & also your friend.Catching 4 between the two of you is not Bad Fishing! How long did you stay? Hoping to meet you both again,and your right,it was fairly quiet people wise,?and not crowded at all,?even though a fellow member ?of stomps recently posted that area for being Good for Walleye Fishing in the Delaware-Komoka area!! ?? LOL A photo of my 2 Walleye’s that I caught yesterday.It was another great day to be Fishing & to be just Outdoors again.Tight Lines,& see you on the Thames Riverbank. ????

Attachments

• 3495F2DE-4C7F-4C35-901D-48304B32D654.jpeg
    3495F2DE-4C7F-4C35-901D-48304B32D654.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
It was also a pleasure meeting you there @SonsOfPerchin & also your friend.Catching 4 between the two of you is not Bad Fishing! How long did you stay? Hoping to meet you both again,and your right,it was fairly quiet people wise,?and not crowded at all,?even though a fellow member ?of stomps recently posted that area for being Good for Walleye Fishing in the Delaware-Komoka area!! ?? LOL A photo of my 2 Walleye’s that I caught yesterday.It was another great day to be Fishing & to be just Outdoors again.Tight Lines,& see you on the Thames Riverbank. ????
We stayed few hours after you. Went out by myself yesterday for few hours down the road yesterday got 4

was back down Sat. My buddys and I fished alone. No crowds , No extra people , No Garbage. It was awesome. caught 5 fish in total missed quite a few, one at 6.5lbs. Oh forgot to say the only crowds we seen were suckers and carps in the hole? Won't show pictures since it might give away my locations. Wouldn't want to get hair up on anyone's back. Closes Thursday guys and gals go get them.

Is it still allowable to fish on the day of on the 15th?

Direct from the regs....."Dates are inclusive; all dates including the first and last dates stated in the summary are open or closed," so as I understand that, no it is not allowable to fish the Thames for walleye on Thursday the 15th and will re-open on May 12th.. However, the exception is from the downstream side of the Keil St Bridge in Chatham to the mouth of the river at LSC, that section is open year round with a limit of 6 with a sport license and 2 with a conservation.

We stayed few hours after you. Went out by myself yesterday for few hours down the road yesterday got 4
WOW!! 4 Walleye’s @ SonsOfPerchin,Now That’s Fishing!! ?? I am heading out again sometime this week,before the Walleye Season Closes.Good Luck to you in the rest of the Walleye Season,& maybe will meet up again on the Riverbank.Tight Lines & Walleye’s ON!! ????

I have always understood it as no, you can not fish the 15th.
As Trevor M showed from the regs.....
But I could be wrong....

The dates are "inclusive" in respect to the open or closed period stated. For example, if it says 'open from Monday to Thursday' you can fish the Monday and Thursday since they are included in the stated open period. On the other hand, if is says 'closed from Tuesday to Friday' you cannot fish the Tuesday or Friday as they are included in the stated closed period. In this case as Josh points out, the season is 'Open from Jan 1 to Mar 15' so you can fish the 1st and the 15th.

Last edited:
I have always understood the regs to mean you could not fish on the 15th as it was closed on that day and re-opened on the second Saturday in May. To get clarification I called the MNR, and what Josh and G.Mech said is correct. According to Chris at the MNR call center, in zone 16, you may fish for walleye on the 15th as the season is open until 23:59:59 on that day in the Thames River. All these years I've been missing out on a day of getting skunked lol.

Folk's, your arguing over catching spawning, future breeding stock wallies, does a day either way really matter?

Firstly, nobody is arguing about anything. The discussion was about how to interpret the dates shown in the regs which has now been answered. This applies to a lot more than the closing date for Zone 16 walleye.

Secondly, many people who fish early season walleye either on the ice or on the water release the pre-spawn females and keep some fish selectively, preferably males. Is there really any difference between catching a pre-spawn female through the ice in February or on soft water in March? In either case, if you choose to keep the females (which you're perfectly entitled to do), you're affecting a lot more fishes lives down the road. So I guess in that regard you're correct, one day or one month either way doesn't much matter.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks