Teal Sightings

sonnyuphi

With that cold front coming through on the weekend I am wondering if anyone has seen any BWT down yet . I went through the marsh late Sunday afternoon and saw only a few Woodies . When does the Park start feeding ? Where is Jim Granger digging this year - haven't seen the shovel out there !

We have no permit to dig before winter Sonny. Please read Jim Malcolm's report in the Newsletter for more details. Everyone is talking about large numbers of BW Teal but I haven't seen any around here yet.

Sonny / Arnold

Iam still here in northern Saskatchewan and it is hot and sunny everyday and not very cool at night and there are BWT everywhere and with this weather i dont see them heading out soon . Opening is thursday and i think the plan is to just shoot BWT's before work and eat them afterwork :)
Seen the first flock of snows in the area today

GH

Few, if any, of the Blue-wings that stage at LP come from the prairies. Our birds are primarily from southern and central Ontario and the numbers of those birds have declined a lot since the '80s. I was talking to the manager of the Flite Club a couple of days ago and he said that he has a lot of BWT in his marsh along with a bunch of Woodies.

Hello Canvasback,

That would explain (better) why the OWAC turned down my proposal last year to start the South Ontario waterfowl season a week earlier so that we could have a "crack" at the BWT before they migrate out of Long Point.

I was just told about the declining Ontario BWT population and that some Ontario waterfowlers may not want a week removed from the end of the season.

It was suggested at the OWAC meeting however that the OFAH may want to poll their membership to determine if there was a preference for this option.

I am fine with their decision regardless.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Sonny,

I have seen a few flocks that "look" like teal from my new place on the causeway. They were flying around in Coletta Bay but when I went to get my binoculars they were gone.

Now I keep a pair of binoculars handy (out of the case) and ready to use in my "observation" room.

I will let you guys know as soon as I make a "positive" ID on those birds.

On a more troubling note ... there were two pairs of Mute Swans that have chased out several pairs of Canada Geese with their broods from the area of Zone B behind my place. One Mute Swan even "attacked" my neighbour's daughter in a boat while she was fishing.

I also noticed several cormorants in the area earlier this summer.

Jerome

My laymans theory is that if we have temperatures between 15 at nite and 25 during the day we should see BWT on the Opener but if we have 10 to 20 degrees temps. the lil'buggers will move on.

What do you think Proffessor ?

Well sonnyuphi, I was at the Unit today, Wednesday, Sept 7th, and saw a large flock of BW teal plus plenty of other species. I spoke with Fred and he tells me they arrived overnight and there were a fair number of birds in the feeding sanctuary this morning.

OCLP -- I think that you've got it right although it's not really the temperature that's important, but the conditions that produce it. To get temperatures down below 15 degrees at nite at this time of year usually means that it is clear and any wind has at least some "north" in it, which makes ideal conditions for the BWT to migrate.

If we were to get such conditions now or in the next week, the BWT wouldn't leave because they, especially the young ones, don't have sufficient body fat for a long distance flight, but as we get past the middle of September, the probability of them leaving on a clear, cold nite increases greatly.

I hunted geese on the Grand River yesterday. There were quite a few blue wings around. Some big groups of woodies as well. Good to see.

Hello OCLP,

I am following up on what Canvasback has said.

A high pressure area is forecasted to come our way later this week from the west. That high pressure area will provide a "clear sky" and a "north wind" (if there is wind) as air circulates clockwise around a high pressure area.

That "north wind" will be what the BWT will want at their tails when they migrate south and a "clear sky" is preferred for migrating (navigating) during the night.

I expect that the BWT may very well depart the Long Point area with overnight "lows" forecasted at 6 or 7 degrees.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

mmmmmmmmmmm Maybe ....if everyone on The Point keeps wearing shorts and tropical style shirts and drinking Mojitos we can fool them into staying around ? LoL !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks