Tag Soup anyone ?

Old Cut LongPointer

Well... da phat lady done sing her song and another Turkey Season is over with. Strange year for me as I always see or hear gobblers but this year … nothing ? I did see some hens and for the record was out in one of my blinds for at least half the season, so not for lack of trying. At least with the new paper style tags once boiled enough they are quite mushy but lack flavour. I'm thinking if I mix in some asparagus that would be nice ? Morel mushrooms would have been an option but I scored zero on those too this year. Then to top it off the farmer is doing corn again this year in my favourite deer field. I can only hope it's off come November ?

I've gone 2 years back to back with seeing zero birds. i hear all kinds of boom sticks lighting up all around the property i hunt, but none for me. I feel the pain for the effort put in.
As for corn, i love it when there is corn in the field. maybe i've lucked out, but i hunt windy days, and search row by row right in the middle of the day, I never believed it, but you do catch them deer sleeping in the rows.
Chin up , good luck this year.

I managed one opening morning and then all was quiet at my place for almost a month. Finally heard a bird when out for a walk one day so I decided to go after him. He outsmarted me on two separate occasions so he gets to live another year!

No bird for me. Told myself last year that was my last year. But then the week before opener i seen a tom strutting a field next to my place. Got permission and said awe yeah! nope. Shot a coyote first sit. seen couple but nothing close enough. Wont be hunting next year, But thats what i said this year so who knows lol

Ended up filling both tags one bird in the evening next bird same blind next morning. My daughter got her's on opening night but could not connect with another. Lots of hens walking around but no Toms.

Tag soup for me too @Old Cut LongPointer, had an opportunity on the opening day but my aim was off? only made it out 2 others times with nothing to show for it. This year I have a 6 month old at home so hunting and fishing are no longer priority #1 lol....but I'm ok with that. Guess I'll be concentrating on deer season only until he's old enough to join in and we can tag team the birds

Well I will be having roast turkey but with a side of tag gravy.

I got a nice big Tom the second morning I went out, so bought a second tag. Then things got much tougher. I was out about 10-12 more times. Most morning I had the same three Jakes right in to me. I am not opposed to shooting Jakes but I had a friend coming later in the season who has never killed a bird and I have never been in on a double. I thought they would be perfect candidates for that day. Of course the day my friend came they were not friendly we only saw them way across field. I went out myself on the last day of the season and thought I would shoot one of the Jakes. That morning they responded perfectly to calls and came into 15 yards, but they had a huge Tom with them who hung up at 60. I focused my efforts on the Tom and ended up with Zip!!!

LoL ? A Jake in the oven is worth a Tom in the field ? At least you had some action as I seen nothing but Hens. Oh well.... maybe I will try the Fall hunt ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks