Surface Drive Mud Motor

noclass

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anyone running one?
Looking for some legitimate feedback.

No Class

Are you just hunting the blinds in the Unit or going down the Bay ? I have a 16HP Longtail Go-Devil on a 14 foot tin boat that will push me through just about anything . Not fast but sure. You want fast I guess that's why they developed Surface Drives ? SD's are not cheap to buy and having the right boat to go with it would be very important as it would effect overall performance.

Primarily unit blinds/B zone or other similar areas. You are not wrong on them being expensive and needing the right application. There are few (if any) dealers around us and buying one seems to be more of a crap shoot than an educated purchase.

With the high water a normal outboard will work okay in most of the Marsh but a Longtail would allow for taking shortcuts through the Marsh or those weedy/gumbo patches. If you have a spare couple of grand to spend buy a Longtail to add to your fleet ? Lots of fun once you master it but pay heed to the cautions and dangers of their use as they can be unforgiving.

Hello No Class,

I would suggest that you talk to Clint at Mud Buddy in Utah ... he was very accommodating and fair with me .... would not change my decision.

Jerome

I have a Mud Buddy 35HD. It’s great for going places you can’t/wouldn’t go with an outboard. If you have the right boat they can still be fast (enough) that you wouldn’t miss your outboard. Depends where you hunt though. In the Unit, it’s probably not necessary. If you are going to hunt a lot of heavy vegetation or very shallow water then it will be worth it.

In terms of acquiring one, not many places, if any to get one in Canada. If you do get one I’d recommend also getting an SD with reverse. My only regret.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks