Strawberry Jam

Did our Jam up Sunday and Monday
Got some jam flats on sale at Millar Berry Farm
Got the berries just in time as the season is just about over

View attachment 44929
That is a lot of jam! Do you use the Certo recipe? I have thought about trying to make it with less sugar but have only stuck with the amount called for,

That is a lot of jam! Do you use the Certo recipe? I have thought about trying to make it with less sugar but have only stuck with the amount called for,
I followed the certo recipe
I know I make lots because lots of people I know need their jams lol!

Last edited:
I saw at Canadian tire no sugar pectin you should try that one?

I saw at Canadian tire no sugar pectin you should try that one?
Thanks! I haven't seen the no sugar pectin before and I'll give it a go. I'm hoping for no artificial sweetener - just ability to use less sugar without messing up the quality or safety.

We cut 2 cups of sugar out of a double batch. So, instead of 14 cups, 12 cups which is still a shitload!

We cut 2 cups of sugar out of a double batch. So, instead of 14 cups, 12 cups which is still a shitload!
First time I made jam and realized there was more sugar than fruit I was horrified. Good to know you can cut it down and assuming it still sets... Thanks!

I just follow the directions,
Directions says don’t add or cut any of the ingredients and do not double batch.
I’m sure it works and taste good however you do it.
I make it every year with no complaints.
I’m not watching my sugar intake tho lol

You follow directions? Man card?

We do double batches all the time even though directions say not to. Its just a timing thing and ability or not to be able to stir such a thick mass constantly.
Just let it sit a bit before jarring to let the air out and the berries/chunks to not all float to top.

Mrs Stomp, the sugar is for setting purposes only, has nothing to do with the safety. For safety, you will notice a good 10 minute in canner after hard boil is on, that + the lemon juice for reducing pH is for safety.

Mine with reduced sugar set very well. Used the powdered pkg of pectin, added before heating.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks