Fishing Report Strait Line Anglers' Pike Tourney - April 30th

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
I had a goal to ride @Three Bouys' coattails (and boat) into the winner's circle and I was successful in that we just squeaked into the prizes with a top 5 finish in the tourney:woot::D. I think it was a pretty tough day for most, us included, but a few teams caught some bigger fish, including a 40", 10 lb.+ big fish. Congrats to all that toughed it out and special kudos for the guys that took home some pretty decent cash prizes!

The winds surprised a bit and were manageable. Lack of water clarity was a common complaint. The best catches seem to come from around Millionaires where water was reported to be more clear. We tried the North Channel - no luck - chocolate milk. Bluff Bar, cleaner water and fairly calm early and @Three Bouys landed a 2'ish lb'er on the troll. After a couple of hours there, we took the good advice of @spilliard1 , and rushed back to the channels of Old Cut to try to land another small snake and earn a chance at a prize. At the 11th hour, yours truly was able to coax a 2+ lb. hammer handle from the channel bottom using a spinner bait . At weigh-in, our 2 measly fish weighing a combined 5.42 lbs earned some nice lures from the folks at the Strait Line Club.

All-in-all, it was a very enjoyable day highlighted by meeting and a chat with long time 6-8 contributors @Red Hering and @Reddog (these guys even dressed in red and were in a red boat, pulled by a red truck) .

Also good to see some familiar faces from last fall including @spilliard1 and @Chasneyes. Great to get out with @Three Bouys and have him sit me in a boat and hand me a rod and only ask that I catch something, which I damn near failed to do!:bag:

The @straitelineanglers organizers kept everything running smoothly, but in a very relaxed way, and that made for a good conclusion to a fun day at Sandboy Marina. (y)(y)

Getting ready to go:

Blast off:

The Consolation Prize-Winning Team:

I had a goal to ride @Three Bouys' coattails (and boat) into the winner's circle and I was successful in that we just squeaked into the prizes with a top 5 finish in the Tourney:woot::D. I think it was a pretty tough day for most, us included, but a few teams caught some bigger fish, including a 40", 10 lb.+ big fish. Congrats to all that toughed it out and special kudos for the guys that took home some pretty decent cash prizes!

The winds surprised a bit and were manageable. Lack of water clarity was a common complaint. The best catches seem to come from around Millionaire's where water was reported to be more clear. We tried the North Channel - no luck - chocolate milk. Bluff Bar, cleaner water and fairly calm early and @Three Bouys landed a 2'ish lb'er on the troll. After a couple of hours there, we took the good advice of @spilliard1 , and rushed back to the channels of Old Cut to try to land another small snake and earn a chance at a prize. At the 11th hour, yours truly was able to coax a 2+ lb. hammer handle from the channel bottom using a spinner bait . At weigh-in, our 2 measly fish weighing a combined 5.42 lbs earned some nice lures from the folks at the Strait Line Club.

All-in-all, it was a very enjoyable day highlighted by meeting and a chat with long time 6-8 contributors @Red Hering and @Reddog (these guys even dressed in red and were in a red boat, pulled by a red truck) .

Also good to see some familiar faces from last fall including @spilliard1 and @Chasneyes. Great to get out with @Three Bouys and have him sit me in a boat and hand me a rod and only ask that I catch something, which I damn near failed to do!:bag:

The @straitelineanglers organizers kept everything running smoothly, but in a very relaxed way, and that made for a good conclusion to a fun day at Sandboy Marina. (y)(y)

Getting ready to go:

Blast off:

The Consolation Prize Winning Team:
An awesome day on the water for sure,Stomp!! I will report later,I am off to meet someone by 8 a.m. today at Port Franks to participate in the Bluewater Anglers,(wich I am also a member of), Salmon Derby at Port Franks.Wish me Good Luck,and I hope that Lake Huron is calmer!! LOL Tight Lines!! (y):)
Thanks again to the Straitline Anglers for Hosting this Pike Tournament.It was a Excellent Time!!

Thanks @stomp as usual for being my partner. You saved our day in the last half hour of the tourney. It was a tough day trying to get two pike. Haven't looked at my bait caster yet to see how much line is reeled in over the birds nest yet. :ROFLMAO: No problem I'll get it out probably the next time I use that pole when it make the sudden stop when I cast with it.
After we tried the inner bay with no success, it was time to hit the Bluffs. Hitting the Bluffs is just a figure of speech as we crossed over the bar 1/4 of the way up. Watching you brace yourself and an ass clinching grip :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:we made it across with 3' of water under us. You and my wife have the same problem when I cross the Bluffs and Pottahawk bars. " Trust me, it'll be ok". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nice to see you again @Reddog and nice to meet you @Red Hering for the first time and hope to meet up again.

Haven't looked at my bait caster yet to see how much line is reeled in over the birds nest yet. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I left you a little present @Three Bouys, buried about 50 yds deep in that reel:shame:... but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures. I had to throw caution to the wind... literally!

Watching you brace yourself and an ass clinching
Will ask Mrs. Stomp to double-check yesterday's undies prior to laundering :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

An awesome day on the water for sure,Stomp!! I will report later,I am off to meet someone by 8 a.m. today at Port Franks to participate in the Bluewater Anglers,(wich I am also a member of), Salmon Derby at Port Franks.Wish me Good Luck,and I hope that Lake Huron is calmer!! LOL Tight Lines!! (y):)

Good luck at Port Franks!! Thanks again for being my partner yesterday, I had a great time.

Reddog

Thanks @stomp as usual for being my partner. You saved our day in the last half hour of the tourney. It was a tough day trying to get two pike. Haven't looked at my bait caster yet to see how much line is reeled in over the birds nest yet. :ROFLMAO: No problem I'll get it out probably the next time I use that pole when it make the sudden stop when I cast with it.
After we tried the inner bay with no success, it was time to hit the Bluffs. Hitting the Bluffs is just a figure of speech as we crossed over the bar 1/4 of the way up. Watching you brace yourself and an ass clinching grip :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:we made it across with 3' of water under us. You and my wife have the same problem when I cross the Bluffs and Pottahawk bars. " Trust me, it'll be ok". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nice to see you again @Reddog and nice to meet you @Red Hering for the first time and hope to meet up again.

Thanks Three Bouys!! Maybe we could share a boat someday.

Reddog

Likewise @Reddog; I try to keep my face under wraps for obvious reasons :bag:. It was a nice way to shake off a bit of cabin fever and the weather wasn't so bad that we had to risk life or limb.

Nice to have met you also @Three Buoys,it was a FUN Day all around,and Congratulations on your Winnings.
Good luck at Port Franks!! Thanks again for being my partner yesterday, I had a great time.

Reddog
Likewise,Reddog.I had a great time with you,and we fish well together as a Fishing Team.I would Love to fish with you again anytime either in a Tournament or just for Pleasure.Meeting you Reddog,and @ Three Bouys and stomp,was the Highlight of my Day.(y):)

Likewise @Reddog; I try to keep my face under wraps for obvious reasons :bag:. It was a nice way to shake off a bit of cabin fever and the weather wasn't so bad that we had to risk life or limb.
Nice also to have met you stomp & Three Buoys in person,and like Reddog wrote,it is nice to finally put a face to the name.I hope to meet Reddog,Three Buoys,and stomp again real soon.Happy Fishing,& Tight Lines,& FISH ON!! (y):)

Want to also thank the SLA for organizing the tournament. Thanks to the other fishermen who helped make my first tournament an enjoyable experience even though we got skunked. the weather was way better than what I expected to find, lots of sun to help dry all the lures I was washing. Looking forward to the LPBAA tournament in two weeks. Fish on.

Want to also thank the SLA for organizing the tournament. Thanks to the other fishermen who helped make my first tournament an enjoyable experience even though we got skunked. the weather was way better than what I expected to find, lots of sun to help dry all the lures I was washing. Looking forward to the LPBAA tournament in two weeks. Fish on.
Just curious and wondering if anyone knows what date the Strait-Line-Anglers-Club pike tournament on long point bay is on this spring in 2019? I have checked their website,but I haven’t seen a date yet,and thanks in advance. ?:)

Last edited:
This year it will be April 27th sandyboy marina.
Thanks @Fish Farmer ?;) and I am just waiting for a reply back from one of my fishing partners wether he would be interested in fishing this pike tournament,and hopefully I will be fishing this pike tournament again,once I team up with someone.I haven’t fished it since 2016,and it was a fantastic time ran by the Strait-Line-Anglers Club which I believe that you are a member of.?Maybe I will see you weather permitting at this pike tournament this year? ????:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks