Off Topic Stopped by police!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,

A friend of mine sent me this... So, 3 guys went north of Toronto for a fishing trip, and were stopped by police. They were asked where they are going, and they said of course fishing. They got $750 fine, and the police officer said they can contest it at court. Anyone experienced this? Are we not allowed to go fishing with 2 people wearing gloves and mask? WTF! What is the basis for this? Can anyone explain and point to a law that explains that?

Hi All,

A friend of mine sent me this... So, 3 guys went north of Toronto for a fishing trip, and were stopped by police. They were asked where they are going, and they said of course fishing. They got $750 fine, and the police officer said they can contest it at court. Anyone experienced this? Are we not allowed to go fishing with 2 people wearing gloves and mask? WTF! What is the basis for this? Can anyone explain and point to a law that explains that?
Wow and wth is rigth
I looked today up and down on every website and nowhere its stated your not allowed to go fishing ,parks , playgrounds beaches, where people can create large groups and use facilities are closed in fact I called Government operated boat lunch on lake Erie to ask if it was closed the awnser I got the Launch is open free of charge and they are in the process of putting in the second dock
If I get a ticket I'm suing them for all they worth ?????

Sure: Here: https://www.osler.com/en/resources/...ovince-to-declare-state-of-emergency-covid-19

You will notice under paragraph 3:
Under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (Ontario), the government has the power to:

1. Implement any emergency plans formulated by municipalities or provincial government bodies;
  2. Regulate or prohibit personal travel and movement;
Your friend can choose to fight the ticket. The question will be, will the courts determine that the people were failing to abide by the intent of the rules in place - self-isolation, and only necessary trips. With the closure of recreational facilities, most boat ramps are now out of bounds,,, It may or may not be a legal ticket. But with all the enforcement people who are catching covid, its not too surprising this happened

"My understanding is that the fine applies to gatherings of more than 5 people. I have yet to hear of a fine for that situation. Sorry I wish I was had a better answer"
From my police officer friend when I asked him about it

Wow and wth is rigth
I looked today up and down on every website and nowhere its stated your not allowed to go fishing ,parks , playgrounds beaches, where people can create large groups and use facilities are closed in fact I called Government operated boat lunch on lake Erie to ask if it was closed the awnser I got the Launch is open free of charge and they are in the process of putting in the second dock
Had another guy from FB fishing page saying that 2 guys in a car whi went fishing got 1000 fine. Wtf!

Someone sent me this

Police will be, and are now in fact, pulling cars over questioning where they are going & 'warning' that as of today (Mar 30/20) they will be fining anyone with MORE than one person in the car and who are making 'non-essential' trips out! This is what you can get fined if you get pulled over from an officer and you are not going home or to work. If your not following the rules of social distancing during this state of emergency they are now charging people. I personally saw a ridiculous number of police officers out on the highways and local roads today. It’s happening. $750-$1000 https://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/ho...set-fine-schedules/schedule-4-0-1-2020-03-18/

Wow and wth is rigth
No non essential travel. Pretty simple
Taken from ontario government website, notice the part that says avoid all non essential travel. Pretty damn simple people. You can expect more tickets:

For all Canadians who have not travelled outside of the country
Stay at home as much as possible. All Canadians should be practicing physical (social) distancing. Even if you don't have symptoms of COVID-19, you could become infected by others.

• stay at home unless you have to go to work
    • talk to your employer about working at home if possible
  • avoid all non-essential trips in your community
  • do not gather in groups
  • limit contact with people at higher risk (e.g. older adults and those in poor health)
  • go outside to exercise but stay close to home
  • if you leave your home, always keep a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others
    • household contacts (people you live with) do not need to distance from each other unless they are sick or have travelled in the last 14 days

According to Old Cut marina boat ramps are specifically exempted and may remain open as long as you practice social distancing while there. TC

A friend of mine called Waterloo police...
"
Wherever you saw this please tell them that I called Waterloo Regional Police and they said that is not true.
"

If your driving down the road and have people from 2 or 3 different households in the same vehicle get ready to get a wake up call.

All public ramps are closing in LaSalle and surrounding areas according to a friend of mine out that way.

All public ramps are closing in LaSalle and surrounding areas according to a friend of mine out that way.
Didn’t LaSalle get shutdown originally for high water? I know I’ve read about a few ramps that were flooded pretty good.

Ramps will be open on long point bay. Aleast some of them. Heard tonight from knew owner . The term avoiding is not enorfocabel under the law legally . Law is black and white. Should they go full emergency lockdown that would be different. As for the guys in the car getting a ticket that's a grey area. If they are from different households then maybe so. I saw a whole group of young guys standing ina garage today drinkimg coffee. Obviously from different households. Were they doing something wrong ? Thats up for debate. Saw people walking dogs today from different households. Should they be ticketed ? Lots of rumors out there. Everything from there will be no hunting season with no tags this year to they wont be renewing fishing and hunting licenses.

Another friend of mine tried fishing n
In mississauga... apparently if you have in your vehicle people with different addresses, this is not good but if it is the same address, this is ok.... totally crazy. I don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks