still no birds...and still no ducks dec 15/12

No new birds this year is a rite off out Friday and saturday in big rice shot 12 ducks in 20 hours of hunting it has been a brutal year I'm ready for the end to come do not think anything is going to change. To the bird counters that say this is going to be the best year for ducks should come spend a day out in the lake and let me know what they think BRUTAL

I feel your pain Duckman. Lots of birds resting out in the middle of the Inner Bay but they don't fly the same as they use too ! Okay a lot of bluebird days don't help but it is slim pickins out there. We need some nasty weather to get a decent shoot. I noticed they did fly pretty low(the few that flew) with that fog we had.

Fat Lady ain't singing yet !

Long Point has been slow for sure. But if you can, look outside the unit. We've been doing well in other areas. Mallards galore this morning.

This has 4 sure bin my worst year in say 10 2 15 year range....Have not shot 1 limit of reds this season which proves my point........Have been out 3 times a week from mid Oct..... & with the low water just adds pain & strain on my motor...The worst year of misery duck shooting the bay 2012... My 2 cents

If Cans r flyin,they will b dyin...

Was out friday afternoon by big rice got 10 would have got our count but quite early because of wind did want to go back in the dark.Wasn't much flying thought there would have been more with the wind. We pretty much got everything that came close for once we were on the bird.Sat out by pottahawk was a big fat zero didn't see much and the ones we did it was to late to shoot sun in your eyes.I haven't given up yet 22 birds this season is a far cry frome what we normally get.We'll giver a shot next week maybe we will have some luck.

Hello Guys,

Further to some e-mails, telephone conversations and personal discussions that I have had recently with some waterfowlers I thought that I would share with you some thoughts regarding the "lack of birds" that some LPWA members have mentioned within this waterfowl forum.

1) The word "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

2) Any "waterfowler" (a person who hunts waterfowl) who does not support my Proposal for a Limited Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest does not support "waterfowl" hunting ... it is that simple. They may support duck hunting, goose hunting or both duck and goose hunting but they do not support "waterfowl" hunting.

3) Any waterfowl organization that does not support my Proposal for a Limited Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest does not support "waterfowl" hunting ... it is that simple. They may support duck hunting, goose hunting or both duck and goose hunting but they do not support "waterfowl" hunting.

4) On November 27 there were thousands of Tundra Swans flying about within the western portion of the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit. Please note the word "waterfowl" within the name. There was certainly no shortage of "birds" on that day.

5) Since the Eastern Population Tundra Swan Management Plan provides for a Canadian recreational harvest of Tundra Swans (please review my previous threads on this subject for more details) it would be in our interest to see a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan recreational harvest implemented in Canada.

6) The Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) assessment of such a harvest should be completed shortly and the results will hopefully support my Proposal for a Limited Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest.

7) There is already an aboriginal harvest of both Tundra Swans and Trumpeter Swans in Canada.

8) Both the Eastern and the Western Populations of Tundra Swans are currently well above the population goals of their respective Management Plans.

I extend a sincere "thank you" to those LPWA members who have supported my Tundra Swan proposal to date.

Those LPWA members who question my Tundra Swan proposal should consider that these Tundra Swans are just going to be harvested by the Americans using both the American and Canadian allotment of tags currently available.

Enjoy the rest of the "waterfowl" season.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

every single person in the marsh wants to shoot a swan, trust me, Its just when your getting told by acual biologist that it is not a good idea at the time certain groups are going to side with them, not someone that has no clue what is goin on in the duck and that hunts for 3 days a year.
If you got a line up of well respected duck hunters and brought it to them there might have been a different look on the subject.
So to say some people arent waterfowlers you have no idea what your talking about.
You wanted a early blue wing hunt because you have never shot one, well we were still shooting them in the middle of october so its clear you dont really know what your talking about when it comes to waterfowl hunting.

Hello Donald,

In response to your misinformed perspective on the subject:

1) By "certain groups" ... does that include the "Old Boys Club" or just other groups?

2) By "someone that has no clue" ... if this comment refers to me then I would suggest that this was a rather careless comment to make since you do not know me and how often or where I have hunted over the years. By the way ... you should have stated "someone who has no clue".

3) I may only hunt the LPWMU a few times (average was about six) a year but a few years ago I made it a point to go to each blind or shooting point to become more familiar with the entire unit.

4) I have now found another area outside of the unit that seems to be more productive for me.

5) I never said "some people arent waterfowlers" ... read my comments again. It would appear that "you have no idea what your talking about".

6) You stated "You wanted a early blue wing hunt because you have never shot one" without knowing the facts:

a) It was Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director , Long Point Waterfowl) who suggested that I present a proposal to the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) for an earlier start to the Southern Waterfowl District which would give us (especially the young hunters) an opportunity at some Blue Winged Teal since they often leave Long Point just before "opening day" or shortly thereafter.

b) This was one of my four (4) proposals to the OWAC in the fall of 2010. Please read my proposal again for clarification.

c) This was not a "Blue Winged Teal Hunt" as you have claimed.

d) I have harvested Blue Winged Teal before contrary to what you have claimed.

I would like to suggest that you should review the facts, ask for any clarification that may be warranted and then seek confirmation of the facts prior to "attacking" someone on a public forum.

Jerome

lol no not the good old boys, biologist and under grads from the long point area.
No i may not know you but I have never heard anything good about you from anyone when it comes to knowing anything about waterfowl hunting. Your like a case of computer herbies with the whole swan thing,
im sure you will come up with a bunch of answers for me on what i have said because you have way to much time on your hands, but if thats how you wanna spend your free time thats your choice. Im goin hunting

Hello Donald,

Have an enjoyable and safe hunt.

Jerome

PS Do not place too much faith in what others may have told you about me because I hunt by myself so they would never have had any "first hand" experience as to what I may or may not know about waterfowl hunting.

It's not always fun to side with buddy boy because of the herpes thing, and I'll stand to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think that the opposition to a swan hunt is almost completely social (having little to do with biology).

There goes my weekend "hunt" plans .
I told my wife the condoms are for putting over the barrel of my shotgun to keep water out !!!
Does Norfolk County Health Services know about this outbreak!!

I put a condom over my barrel once. All it did was give me a big "buldge".....yuk yuk yuk! :p

Well Buddy Boy ,when it comes to biology , and other scientific research you have it nailed down ! The trouble is that you don't have a clue about how your swan harvest proposal will play out in public . Do all waterfowlers a favour , and give it up . This can of worms should not see the light of day . By the way I consider myself a waterfowler ,despite the fact I don't support your proposal.

Here we go again...

All these years I have been completely wrong when telling people that I am a waterfowl hunter. How could I have been so ridiculous? (or is it me being ridiculous??)

I will be a little more specific next time, and make sure I only say duck/goose hunter, so thanks for clarifying exactly what a waterfowl hunter is.

PS – Can somebody please start approving BB’s posts????

So someone who is trying to get more hunting opportunity for everyone should just give it a rest because of what the public might think. How very Canadian of us to not want to muddy the waters because it might not be popular. With the issues in the future facing waterfowlers in this country I would think we should support every opportunity to harvest every species allowed given sound bioligical science backing it. I might not shoot a swan but I damned well support another Canadians right to shoot one before they head to the americans to get harvested regardless of what some uninformed anti thinks sitting in their breakfast nook reading propaganda without having ever been up to their nuts in loon ****.
Tough times are ahead for all waterfowlers for example the soon to be coming attack on flooded corn. You could put the entire acreage of flooded corn in Ontario into one little tiny section of harssens island in michigan beside walpole island. Likewise the harvest is so tiny compared to our US counterparts. I dare say Ontarios entire season flooded corn harvest might be a week or twos worth in michigan let alone what the entire flyway harvests. With the retirement of HUNTING CWS employees in Ottawa a new breed of desk occupying pencil pushing bureaucrats dictating waterfowl management direction. Personally Id rather stand up together in support of all hunters than roll over with my head tucked in hoping not to get noticed. Ill get off my soapbox now. Its just a passionate subject for me and I mean no Ill feelings or intent towards any posters. These are my opinions without adjenda or malice.
wicket

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks